AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I am considering making the move from 802 Diamonds to Sashas. I am definitely going to set up an audition at my dealer with my electronics at some point. However I was just curious how many of you have upgraded from 802's to Sashas? How would you describe the differences?

For the record, I don't have anything really bad to say about 802's, and in fact I think they are a great value. But I realize there is better out there, and whatever brings me closest to the music is what I will end up with in my house. It's as simple as that.

The only reservation I have so far is that I like some hard rock, and every time I have heard Wilsons at the dealer, they are paired with ARC gear. I just feel like ARC/Wilson combo isn't good for hard rock. They don't seem to have much "kick". However when playing jazz or acoustic type material, they certainly sing! It could be their room. My room seems to have more bass energy, theirs is so dampened that there is very little.

When I do go listen to the Sasha vs. 802 (they have both) with McIntosh gear like mine, I will let you all know what my experience is.
Not to be a Wilson party crasher but have you considered the 800 Diamonds? You bought B&W so you obviously liked the sound. Depending on who you ask some feel there is a big improvement between the 802 and 800, not just in the bottom end due to the larger drivers but particularly in the midrange. On the flip side others say there is little to no difference. The 800's are also less money then the Sasha's. Just something to think about.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Not to be a Wilson party crasher but have you considered the 800 Diamonds? You bought B&W so you obviously liked the sound. Depending on who you ask some feel there is a big improvement between the 802 and 800, not just in the bottom end due to the larger drivers but particularly in the midrange. On the flip side others say there is little to no difference. The 800's are also less money then the Sasha's. Just something to think about.
I have never heard them, but since the mid and tweeter are the exact same part number (I checked), and the marlan head is the same, I can't imagine that I would gain much other than bass extension. I could be wrong, but that is my educated guess. Plus...I have no doubt they are better for huge rooms, but my room is not huge. It is medium sized, and the 802's fill it quite well.

Plus, if I am going to upgrade, I feel I should see what other companies sound like...see if I am missing something.

I love the 802 diamond. I am only doing this as an experiment to really see if there are any improvements to be had without spending 50k and up. If I can find something under 30k which gives a big improvement, I might be willing to sell a child or something. Kidding.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Plus, if I am going to upgrade, I feel I should see what other companies sound like...see if I am missing something.
Definitely a good plan. What gives the 800's the arguably better performance over the 802's in the midrange is the crossover used. You are correct the actual high frequency, mid frequency and marlan head are the same.

Does your dealer have Sonus Faber?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Does your dealer have Sonus Faber?
Unfortunately, no. But they do have Vienna Acoustics. There is another dealer around here that does have SF, but one of my factors is that my dealer has a trade-up program that I would NEED to take advantage of if I am going with something expensive like Sashas.

Plus, I really like my dealer and want to give them business if I can. But if Wilsons don't "do it for me" then I should listen to SF just to see what's going on over there.

I might also ask them if I can hear VA "The Music"...not sure how hard it is for them to get a pair to audition.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I have never heard them, but since the mid and tweeter are the exact same part number (I checked), and the marlan head is the same, I can't imagine that I would gain much other than bass extension. I could be wrong, but that is my educated guess. Plus...I have no doubt they are better for huge rooms, but my room is not huge. It is medium sized, and the 802's fill it quite well.

I love the 802 diamond. I am only doing this as an experiment to really see if there are any improvements to be had without spending 50k and up. If I can find something under 30k which gives a big improvement, I might be willing to sell a child or something. Kidding.
If you want to hear a musical speaker that blows away the Wilson and B&W go listen to a speaker by Vienna acoustics called the music. I have heard almost every speaker out there and regardless of price I haven't heard anything more musical. Vienna doesn't have the distribution as Wilson or B&W so you will have to look to find it. Believe me it is worth it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, no. But they do have Vienna Acoustics. There is another dealer around here that does have SF, but one of my factors is that my dealer has a trade-up program that I would NEED to take advantage of if I am going with something expensive like Sashas.

Plus, I really like my dealer and want to give them business if I can. But if Wilsons don't "do it for me" then I should listen to SF just to see what's going on over there.

I might also ask them if I can hear VA "The Music"...not sure how hard it is for them to get a pair to audition.
Once you hear the VA "the music" you will forget all about Wilson or B&W.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

It's hard to pass on a dealer willing to offer a trade up program especially when your moving up to something worth a lot more.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 AM

I've never, ever liked the 802Ds; they've always sounded like cones in a box to me.

The Sasha, in fact, was the first Wilson I heard that didn't for the most part (to me the Sophia IIIs still do, but the very slight boxiness I still hear in the Sasha is completely gone in the Alexia.)

If you're going to investigate an upgrade, I'd recommend listening to the Alexia or, my personal favorites, anything in the Vivid Audio Giya series.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters

Once you hear the VA "the music" you will forget all about Wilson or B&W.
I never heard those particular VA but all the ones I heard until now always left me completely cold, exactly like Dali speakers.
Analytic and HiFi sound. Really not my cup if tea.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 AM

And I do not like BW either. Actually the only british speakers that I cannot stand ! They always sounded aggressive to me.