AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Formerly Gaucho1

The SACD versions for Dylan and the Stones didn't go over well.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Why would anyone pick the mono version over the stereo version ?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Why would anyone pick the mono version over the stereo version ?
Excellent question indeed. Let me say first, just because there is a mono disc or vinyl – don’t discount it just because of it. There are many, many great mono recordings out there that will make you sit up and take notice. Some of which can be referred to as reference quality. Generally, most will agree that mono has better bass authority than stereo (depending on genere of music).

Now to answer your question -- The Beatles music sounds particularly well suited for mono because all the instruments were recorded as a mono image. The guitars, bass & drums were all recorded on one channel & voices on the other so they could be blended for the final mono mix. The original stereo mixes were done at a time where it was very time consuming to create a mix where an instrument was NOT either dead center, hard right or hard right. Generally in the Beatles early stereo mixes the music is either panned to the excessive right, or excessive left or dead center. This style is generally known as fake stereo because all you are really hearing is a mono recording. IMO, studio trickery w/the Beatles stereo versions, has no soundstage nor imaging & honestly, they just sound wrong. Mono on the other hand has a great soundstage; but, imaging is lacking & because they were recorded in mono, everything seems to fall into place. In the Beatles mono releases, they are actually going to retain the full dynamic range of the original mixes & more importantly, many of the tracks are quite different in balance, sound effects, even tempo & run time compared with their stereo counterparts – the mono’s will not be sold individually like their stereo remasters. So, the mono box set is unique in that aspect too.

It wasn't until the ’68 White Album, the Beatles last mono release—the mixing console was upgraded and you can hear that there is some definite effort to create a truer stereo sound. In Abbey Road & Let it Be which were never released in mono, it’s where we begin to hear The Beatles mixed in a way that is far more in agreement with the way music would later be mixed. Sgt Pepper as heard in Mono, or Revolver as heard in mono are pretty much a sonic tour de force.

One can notice a bit of difference between mono & stereo using Sgt Pepper’s as an example. George Martin & Geoff Emerick worked very hard to get the mono mix of Sgt. Pepper perfect. In comparison they spent much less time working on the stereo version. Because of this many people feel that the mono version of the album is the way it's "intended to be heard” and has quite a few aspects to it that sound different than the stereo version:

**The guitar at the end of SPLHCB is far more prominent in the mono mix.
**The mono mix of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" includes a lot of echo on John Lennon's lead vocal which gives this version of the song a more "spacey" quality & is a bit slower.
**"She's Leaving Home" sounds faster in the mono mix. Perhaps it was slowed down for some reason when they were mixing in stereo?

I hope I've answered your question -- only couple more weeks.

P.S. Thanks to a few friends who I consulted on this response.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution Bar:Shunyata Everest 8000 w/Omega XC Power Cable.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:3M Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110 ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-17-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 PM

I received an CD I had ordered from Borders today. Included was a promo noting that pre-orders for the 14 Beatles albums are at 20% off. This may be normal or Amazon may be offering more off. just thought I would pass it on. Apparently some of you are interested.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I received an CD I had ordered from Borders today. Included was a promo noting that pre-orders for the 14 Beatles albums are at 20% off. This may be normal or Amazon may be offering more off. just thought I would pass it on. Apparently some of you are interested.
Thanks Jim & in addition, for any AAA member, they have a deal with Barnes & Noble in that you can receive more than $55 off either box set. Log onto AAA and link to B&N for the details (I saved $56.32 thru the AAA/B&N association for the mono set).

Offer expires end of August (I believe).
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Valhalla TA cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia in Argento Silver/Black grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit.
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-17-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Amazon.com : Entertainment : The Beatles Remasters watch the video

http://thebeatles.com/core/home/

Last edited by 1KW; 08-20-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Keep an eye out for the upcoming Apple Music event on 9/9/09. Can we all say The Beatles!

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2

Last edited by Dj_AmTraX; 08-20-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Just Pure Lucky

The mono box set is rapidly becoming scarce on pre-order.

Amazon -- not accepting any further preorders (they have almost 5,000 preorders to fill & they expect to fulfill them).
CD Pacific - same as above
Music Direct - accepting orders but any submitted after 14 Aug -- no guarantee
Elusive Disc - still accepting orders for around $75 above Amazon's price.
Acoustic Sounds --still accepting orders
Barnes & Noble - same as Amazon
Borders - same as Amazon (they have the Japanese w/OBI available at $700+...for the same music.
Walmart - not accepting orders
Cosco - not accepting orders
Best Buy -- same as Amazon

Damn!!

Last edited by vintage_tube; 08-26-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 AM

C'mon guys only myself and Vintage Tube has pre-ordered this set. WTF. This is THE holy grail. They will not screw this one up. Mark my words. They will be definitive for Beatles on CD. I pre-ordered the MONO boxset last month via Amazon. To quote Lennon "You haven't heard Sgt Peppers til you've heard the mono'. I shall soon enough.

those lucky few who have heard the new remasters report they sound amazing. Vinyl is definately coming. Will pick those up too.

The packaging on the discs is flat out sick. Trifold layout with with LP style center labels on the discs. Look like mini LPs. They labored for 4 yrs perfecting these remasters. IIRC, less that 5 mins subjected to NoNoise out of the entire catalog (around 500 mins) only when it was mandatory. Stereo versions supposedly light handed with regards to compression whereas the mono have absolutely no limiting! Mono will be king. They used the original master tapes, utilizing first stamper pressings for comparisons etc. They really did their homework on these remasters.

9/9/09.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion

Last edited by j3brow; 08-27-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:14 AM

I'm waiting for the LP set. I still like my current Beatles collection on CD(Capital Years Box Set Vol2 Mono + Stereo versions of each album) so I'll keep those. I have Sgt. Pepper,Revolver, & Hard Days Night separate on CD's. I also have Love on CD. Abbey Road is on LP. I'm burnt out on the White Album/Magical Mystery Tour/Beatles for Sale, so I will not be looking for those in any format. If those come with the LP set that's fine- they will remain in pristine condition from lack of turntable time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31BRAH42Z6L._SS400_.jpg (18.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 31RJQYKNKFL._SS400_.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by gregswaim; 08-27-2009 at 01:33 AM.