AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Default MSB Technology

The Platinum DAC with Universal Media Transport got 100% in "Stereo", a decent German hi-fi magazine.
Does anybody have experience with it?
The Platinum DAC is not even their highest rated DAC. You can upgrade in 2 steps.
Their top DAC, the Diamond DAC gets the absolute highest praise:

“ All I can say is that Harry Connick Jr.‘s ‘A Nightingale Sang in Barclay Square‘ was absolutely transfixing through this system -- and perhaps the best digital reproduction of music I have heard. It was clearly on the same level as the previous champ, the benchmark four-box dCS Paganini stack.”
Paul Bolin - The Audio Beat, Feb 2012
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by Masterlu; 03-10-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Sorry, no links to non-sponsors
Old 03-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Martin Colloms in the last issue of HiFi Critic is also raving about it.

A friend of mine, is testing various DACs as I write this (his system is Focal Grand Utopia EM, Burmester 077+PSU, 2x 911 monos).

He already tried latest EMM stuff, Audio Aero stuff, Jadis stuff, MSB Platinium and now has Platinium DAC with the $10.000 Femto Clock option installed at home - basicly, the most expensive DAC you can get from MBS.

I will keep you posted as I'm also interested in his conclusions.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Martin Colloms in the last issue of HiFi Critic is also raving about it.

A friend of mine, is testing various DACs as I write this (his system is Focal Grand Utopia EM, Burmester 077+PSU, 2x 911 monos).

He already tried latest EMM stuff, Audio Aero stuff, Jadis stuff, MSB Platinium and now has Platinium DAC with the $10.000 Femto Clock option installed at home - basicly, the most expensive DAC you can get from MBS.

I will keep you posted as I'm also interested in his conclusions.
Thank you!
I'm looking forward.
By the way the Platinum is only the third in hierarchy.
First comes Diamond, then Signature, then Platinum.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-11-2012, 02:12 PM

I meant the Diamond. Sorry for the typo.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
I meant the Diamond. Sorry for the typo.
OK!
Your friend has quite a system... wow!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM

I have heard very good things about their products and saw them at RMAF. I am a bit concerned about the industrial design of the product. It may be built like a tank and well designed but it doesn't work for me.

Jim
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

“ All I can say is that Harry Connick Jr.‘s ‘A Nightingale Sang in Barclay Square‘ was absolutely transfixing through this system -- and perhaps the best digital reproduction of music I have heard. It was clearly on the same level as the previous champ, the benchmark four-box dCS Paganini stack.”
Paul Bolin - The Audio Beat, Feb 2012
Have heard nothing but stellar reports, but where is Barclay Square?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM

I have heard they have difficulty making a profit because they can't stop doing R&D. In short they are an engineering driven company, not a marketing driven one.
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
I have heard they have difficulty making a profit because they can't stop doing R&D. In short they are an engineering driven company, not a marketing driven one.
Explains why most of the feedback I am hearing is coming from serious recording engineer types.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 PM

To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the MSB I looked at ... I mean, it looks more like a rack mount computer than audio equipment. Then I took a look inside, and learnt a bit more about the tech, and then I heard it. That was proof enough ... MSB deserves a place next to Wadia, DCS, EMM, and Playback. A company driven by nerds is a good thing
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here