AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Life is beautiful

Billie Holiday - Songs for distingué lovers
Qobuz 24/192

Equally fantastic.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Life is beautiful

Jan Garbarek
The Hilliard Ensemble
- Officium Novum
Qobuz 24/96

Quite a good marriage between polyphony and jazz.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Life is beautiful

Keith Jarrett Trio - The Out-of-Towners
via Qobuz

I read in Stereophile that Eicher had to insist for almost 10 years for Jarrett to play in a trio.
We're lucky he was so obstinate!

Recorded in 2001 live at the State Opera House in Munich, Out of Towners features the Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette trio in the kind of performance we've come to expect from them these last 21 years: Stellar. Being one of contemporary jazz's longest-running bands has its advantages; one of them is having nothing to prove. First and foremost, this band plays standards like no one else. Given their individual careers, the members playing in a trio that performs classics carries a kind of freedom, as well as weight. This material is treated not as museum-piece jazz, but as the essence of song. Check the whispered elegance of "I Can't Believe You're in Love With Me." This Jimmy McHugh-Clarence Gaskill number has plenty of history being recorded definitively by singers, chronologically by Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra. The trio lean into the lyric phrasing in the body of the tune and turn it gently inside out without ever losing its melodic essence. They follow it with "You've Changed," a fine exercise in rhythmic invention with a popping, sure-footed swing throughout. The complete re-vamp of Cole Porter's "I Love You" that unfolds over ten minutes digs into the lyric underbelly of the song and brings out so many subtle and shaded nuances it's like hearing the composition for the first time. The lone original on the set is the title track, written by Jarrett. A sprightly swing is stretched and molded over nearly 20 minutes, and one can hear everyone from Horace Silver to Thelonious Monk to Hampton Hawes in Jarrett's approach, underscored by Peacock's strident basslines that walk the edge of DeJohnette's cymbal-caressed beat. The big surprise is the elegant, finger-popping read of Gerry Mulligan's "Five Brothers." Its skipping melody is folded inside waves of harmonic interweaving by Jarrett through the body taken in a knotty swing that is given wings by the rhythm section. Besides the wondrous performance, the sound of this recording should be noted. Its warmth is immediate, its very close and intimate sound makes the listener feel as if she were in the middle of the stage taking this all in, not in the audience. This is an accomplishment on all fronts. ~ Thom Jurek
Old 11-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Life is beautiful

Don Cherry - Dewey Redman - Charlie Haden - Ed Blackwell - Old And New Dreams
Via Qobuz

The version of 'Lonely Woman' is utterly stunning, with a fabulous Charlie Haden.
The rest is very good, but I skip the last 2 tracks, they're unlistenable.
Recorded in '79.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Life is beautiful

Paul Motian - Bill Frisell -Joe Lovano - Time and Time Again
via Qobuz

Another ECM gem.

I've always loved Paul Motian, Joe Lovano is a great sax player, and Bill Frisell must be one of the most inventive musicians on the instrument.

Bill Frisell was in my town 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't go...
Old 11-14-2019, 02:36 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

AAA - Women of Jazz
https://play.qobuz.com/playlist/2554019

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:30 PM

I’m listening to the new Coltrane on Prestige Box Set, “Coltrane ‘58” - excellent!!!

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.

Last edited by Yardbird; 11-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Qobuz Playlist - AAA - Diana Krall
https://play.qobuz.com/playlist/2553557

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Keith Jarrett Trio - The Out-of-Towners
via Qobuz

I read in Stereophile that Eicher had to insist for almost 10 years for Jarrett to play in a trio.
We're lucky he was so obstinate!
Have you been able to attend a live Jarrett trio performance? You'd fully appreciate it, I imagine. I never had the pleasure of hearing Bill Evans live, but have heard Jarrett and his trio twice at Chicago's Orchestra Hall. What a delight. I know you'd appreciate it.

I can't connect with any of Jarrett's solo jazz performances. But his Bach and Handel solo work is exceptional.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
Have you been able to attend a live Jarrett trio performance? You'd fully appreciate it, I imagine. I never had the pleasure of hearing Bill Evans live, but have heard Jarrett and his trio twice at Chicago's Orchestra Hall. What a delight. I know you'd appreciate it.

I can't connect with any of Jarrett's solo jazz performances. But his Bach and Handel solo work is exceptional.

One of my few musical performance regrets is that I never got to see the trio live before they stopped performing together. I’ve only seen DeJohnette (a couple of times in Seattle’s Jazz Alley) and he was outstanding.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2