AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereohead View Post
I believe Dan's suggestion is the safest way to go. If your dealer is sweetening up your ear about the Shunyata then I believe it's a safe assumption that he wouldn't have a problem letting you have an in-home audition. Plus that way you can post pictures for us
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Any updates, guys? I am delighted with my PPPs but have been intrigued with the Shunyata products. I suppose I too could ask for a demonstration but for me, due to my geographics, that typically means I have to buy one first.

Yes, I realize there is a return policy on the Shunyata products from most dealers. But I'm in the information gathering stage, kind of armchair quarterbacking for now. So I wonder, any updates?
Although Shunyata does have a return policy, check with your dealer first. Some importers/dealers are not so accommodating once the box has walked out the door. It could end up with some blustering & Caelin giving the directive to the dealer to accept the goods back.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Although Shunyata does have a return policy, check with your dealer first. Some importers/dealers are not so accommodating once the box has walked out the door. It could end up with some blustering & Caelin giving the directive to the dealer to accept the goods back.
Good advice. It looks like my dealer is going to be MusicDirect or TheCableCo. There are no dealers in the state of New Mexico. Ha. I haven't checked TheCableCo but I know MusicDirect does have a return policy.

Even so, I'm not ready to buy one ... yet. I'd like to see if someone chimes in that they, as proverbial canary in a coal mine, have been down this road. And were happy with the destination as well as the journey.

Sorry, a little Śūnyatāor (Shunyata) humor there. (see link, below)

Ampersand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-18-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 AM

I would like to see Shunyata offer their power conditioners with a black faceplate option.
A number of manufacturers do this and I think it would make the product range more appealing to those of us with black components.

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
MSB Reference DAC
Innuos Statement w/Next Gen. PS
B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
Shunyata Cables
Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments
Old 10-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
I would like to see Shunyata offer their power conditioners with a black faceplate option.
A number of manufacturers do this and I think it would make the product range more appealing to those of us with black components.
Amen

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
That was my thought also. However, I fixed the color mismatch by upgrading to Pass Labs pre-amp and amps, which are silver.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM

I think that this is a must (reed) for anyone who considers to buy Hydra product. Draw your own conclusions after...

"DIY Hydra" Power Conditioner on 10 Audio
Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexatpos View Post
I think that this is a must (reed) for anyone who considers to buy Hydra product. Draw your own conclusions after...

Not trying to be rude but that's article/write up is old news, as in eight years old. Like PS Audio much has changed with Shunyata in eight years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:

I was forwarded your comments, and this 2005 link for about the 100th time in the past 8 years.

Number one, this was gone over to death a year or more ago and over many pages in this forum. I'm not going to re-state that entire thread. If people want to search it here, it shouldn't be difficult.

That was a 2002-2003 model Mr 10 did an article on. He had called to request a loan of a current model for a "review". I politely declined. He stated flatly that he would get one anyway and create an article, (quote) "without your input or participation".

His proposed "review" then turned into a DIY project, not of our current model at that time, but of an older model he obtained used. The price of the model he had was $695, which was well in line with industry standard (which was then about x5 our materials cost), a table we still use today.

If you were to cost out his stated parts (which were inferior) at a normal markup and add minimum expenses for packaging (no warranty, _no labor costs_), his DIY project would run over the budget for that Hydra at $695 in 2005. The spec's on our web exactly matched the current production models. He did not have a current production model because we didn't provide it, he bought or obtained it used.

That same gentleman was back in touch with us last year wanting to buy our power cords. I again, politely, referred him to a dealer.

Listen, if that is the best dirt you can come up with on us in 14 years of producing products and with thousands of opinions and articles all over the internet and in print world-wide…do the math. I don't care what you question or denigrate with regards to product performance or comparisons, but our pricing integrity has always been fair and our margins and retail pricing is slanted toward value, not gross inflation.

The 2002-20010 US Hydra 4's (yes we quietly updated the units several times) had exceptional parts/materials, custom-made silver-plated copper buss straps, a Carling Electromagnetic breaker ($30 our cost), a custom-designed filter (not off the shelf), our own custom-designed outlets, a decent face-plate, metal chassis and US hand labor/packaging and warranty. The $695 asking back then was entirely reasonable given our own parts/material/labor costs. You are of course, free to disagree.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:

Ancient article that has been beat to death and offers no insight into today's Shunyata products. We are fortunate to have Grant as a member and Sponsor here to address this type of misinformed innuendo. Grant's response is clear and concise.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Closed Thread