AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB versus Silver Starlight USB

. . . .

I am fortunate to own two excellent quality Wireworld USB cables. One is the Silver Starlight and the other is the Platinum Starlight. Both USB cables are three meters in length. Prior to owning either of the two Wireworld USB cables I was using a five meter Belkin USB cable I had purchased at Office Max. Basically it was a long printer cable.

When I first began my foray into USB playback of high-resolution music files from a computer I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. It was a paint by numbers experience for me. Fortunately I received some welcomed guidance from a couple knowledgeable AA members. As I began getting my feet wet, it didn’t take long to realize there’s more to USB playback than meets the eye. I had to come up to speed on using digital music playback software, load special proprietary USB drivers, and learn about USB cable quality. I had some success with my five meter Belkin USB cable connected to the new Esoteric K-03, but due to its length, low quality materials and marginal construction I routinely experienced stalled playback caused by loss of consistent data flow between the laptop computer and the K-03. This was frustrating and turned listening to music into a disappointing chore. I can’t have that.

It was obvious the USB printer cable wasn’t cut out for music playback, so it was time to get a better quality USB cable, preferably one with a shorter length. I ordered a three meter Wireworld Silver Starlight USB cable. The main reason for not jumping directly into the Platinum Starlight USB cable was my less than satisfactory USB playback experience to this point and the fact that I wasn’t sure USB playback of high-res music from my laptop would prove exciting enough to hold my long term interest.

The Wireworld Silver Starlight USB cable arrived in short order and I began the break-in process. I connected the Silver Starlight between my Sony Vaio laptop and the Esoteric K-03 and let it play a music file over and over for several days. During this period I noticed I was no longer losing the USB connection that had been causing music files to stop playing. Once I began listening intently and making a cursory comparison of the Wireworld Silver Starlight against the Belkin USB cable, it became evident the Silver Starlight USB cable had a far more transparent sound. The music was presented with a greater sense of life, texture, and dimension. I am certain the silver-clad oxygen-free copper wire and Wireworld’s 6 conductor DNA Helix cable design contributes to the accurate music reproduction and consistent uninterrupted data flow. I was now enjoying my high-res downloads every day.

Then, along came the forum’s high praise of Wireworld's Platinum Starlight USB cable and plenty of encouragement to give the Platinum cable a try. Even users who had previously used and enjoyed the Silver Starlight USB cable were singing the Platinum cable’s praise. Everyone expressed high regard for the improved sound of the pure silver USB cable over the silver-clad oxygen-free copper cable. It didn’t take long for our friendly Wireworld dealer to convince me the Platinum USB cable was the way to go and a few days later the lovely Platinum USB cable arrived at my door.

I did the same break-in process with the three meter Platinum USB cable, 24/7 playback of a high-res music file for several days before getting serious about the audition. Once I focused my undivided attention on the Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable I discovered that the praise this cable has received was indeed spot on. Playback of Lee Ritenour – Rhythm Sessions at 24Bit/96kHz was astonishingly clean. The resolution was so clear it was like sitting in on the live session. There seemed to be nothing between me and the musicians except air. The dynamics were griping and the bass was strong, deep, fast and vibrant as I have ever experience on any recording.

I returned to the Wireworld Silver Starlight USB cable, playing the same Lee Ritenour – Rhythm Sessions recording. Surprisingly I did not get the impression I had lost much, although there was a tiny difference in the essence of experiencing a live music performance versus a recorded one. It wasn’t dramatic, but it was audible. If I didn’t have the Platinum Starlight USB cable to compare it to, I doubt I would have felt I left any performance parameter untouched, but the Platinum Starlight USB cable effortlessly delivered the true essence of a live performance in totality.

The Platinum Starlight USB cable seems to magically disappear as though there is no wire at all between the computer and the DAC. I am convinced the solid silver wire and 6 conductor DNA Helix cable design of the Platinum Starlight USB cable makes it the default USB cable selection for digital enthusiasts who are looking for premium performance. I am very pleased and can highly recommend the Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable.

Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM

Great review Dan. As always, your ability to articulate the nuances of your listening observations brings great value to your review. And your thorough descriptions of context, associated gear and the music your use bring us right into the listening room with you. Thanks.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 PM

Big ups Dan!

The specified limit for a USB cable is 5m due to the round-trip time delay for the signal. They pad it a little and I bet one could actually get away with a 6m run. With the silver conductor in the Silver or Platinum WW I bet the signal would even propagate even faster and would be okay with the longer lengths. Seems to work well for Ivan.

I try to go with the shortest length possible to be able to afford the best cable. Currently, I'm running a 0.5m and would even go with the 0.3m cable if I could.

Sounds like a brave new world in which you have embarked with the K-03 and the WW Platinum!

Can't wait to hear some feedback playing DSD128 files through that wire and the K-03!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Great review Dan. As always, your ability to articulate the nuances of your listening observations brings great value to your review. And your thorough descriptions of context, associated gear and the music your use bring us right into the listening room with you. Thanks.
US Blues.......Much appreciated. The Platinum Starlight is an impressive USB cable.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
Big ups Dan!

The specified limit for a USB cable is 5m due to the round-trip time delay for the signal. They pad it a little and I bet one could actually get away with a 6m run. With the silver conductor in the Silver or Platinum WW I bet the signal would even propagate even faster and would be okay with the longer lengths. Seems to work well for Ivan.

I try to go with the shortest length possible to be able to afford the best cable. Currently, I'm running a 0.5m and would even go with the 0.3m cable if I could.

Sounds like a brave new world in which you have embarked with the K-03 and the WW Platinum!

Can't wait to hear some feedback playing DSD128 files through that wire and the K-03!!!
Josh.......After my experience with the five meter Belkin USB cable and the signal drops, I decided it would be wise to use as short a USB cable as possible. Three meters lets me get to the laptop without issue.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-28-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Great read and write up Dan

I seem to have no issues at all with the WW silver cable and I run a 5 meter cable. I think mine sounds amazing, but I am sure there may be a little left on the dac I am missing.

Well at some point I may have to take the plunge too.

I too had the same drop outs with a Belkin 5m and I could not even get the 192k files to hand shake without a lockup or drop.

I have yet to have an issue... well till now, I am Jealous

thank you for the fine comparison
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Dave.......Thank you for the kind words and all the help you have given getting me up and running.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 AM

You'll have to update your signature now so I can keep up with all of these changes on your multiple systems!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 AM

Dan...Great read, thank you. Look forward to receiving my 3m Platinum USB order soon which will allow me the kick-start into digital.

Last edited by MyPal; 05-03-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 AM

Dan ... beautiful review, thank a lot!