AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 09-01-2018, 07:23 PM

Default Sabrina -> Yvette

Hi all-- I auditioned the Sabrina today and did enjoy the experience, however I really wanted to listen to the Yvette. The dealer did not currently have a pair. They said the Yvette would have the same overall characteristics as the Sabrina but a bigger soundstage and more aggressive (my word) bass. I'm going to be buying new speakers before the end of Sept and don't have the time for them to order a pair. I explained that to them and they said they would bring the Sabrina to my home for an audition and if the basic sound fit, then the Yvette sound would fit. Does this seem accurate to those who have heard both ? I'll be upgrading from B&W N802s that I've had for 19 years. I'm also going to be auditioning some Focal Sopra 3s and B&W 802 D3s at a different dealer next week. I'd appreciate anyones opinions regarding all of the afore mentioned speakers !
Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Since you keep your speakers for a long time, go for the Yvette. They are a big step up from the Sabrina in my opinion. I haven't owned either, but I have heard both many times at my dealer and at RMAF. Yvette really shines if you have good electronics. I guess any speakers would fare better with top notch gear, but I heard Yvette a few years ago with very expensive amps and sources and I was shocked at how amazing they sounded.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:24 PM

I agree. The Yvettes are significantly better than the Sabrinas, especially in the lower registers.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

A few years ago I spent a good deal of time at the dealer auditioning Sasha 1 and Sophia 2. I was trading in my Watt Puppy 7's. After considerable listening of my music and his, the Sasha was the answer. Some years later, I move to Florida, didn't want to take the big Sashas so traded them in on Duette, at my dealers recommendation. They were way to small for our large great room with it's 12 ft. ceiling. I traded them in on Yvette... which may be the best value in the Wilson line if you listening area matches their design. They are actually a better speaker than Sasha 1, but unlike Sasha and Alexia, are not adjustable. If your space allows about an 8 ft. spread an approximately an 8-10 ft. listening radius, and a 42 inch ear height, get Yvettes. They are excellent. A nice improvement over the older Sabrina.
Enjoy your quest.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 09-01-2018, 11:53 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Both are fantastic speakers, but the game we play would have you wanting the Yvette’s in no time then comes the hit.

If possible, always avoid the hit!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:58 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Good advise!
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 AM

It definitely is good advice, but like Ed says "if possible". It's not always possible. This stuff costs a fortune. Buy the best you can, knowing that you can upgrade later, albeit at a higher cost.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Retired

If I recall from an earlier post the OP lives in the Denver area. Will Wilson be exhibiting at the RMAF? While you want new speakers by the end of Sept, the RMAF is the 1st week in Oct and you may be able to audition both at the show to compare for yourself. If not, believe there is another, longer thread in the Wilson forum on comparing the two.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 09-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
A few years ago I spent a good deal of time at the dealer auditioning Sasha 1 and Sophia 2. I was trading in my Watt Puppy 7's. After considerable listening of my music and his, the Sasha was the answer. Some years later, I move to Florida, didn't want to take the big Sashas so traded them in on Duette, at my dealers recommendation. They were way to small for our large great room with it's 12 ft. ceiling. I traded them in on Yvette... which may be the best value in the Wilson line if you listening area matches their design. They are actually a better speaker than Sasha 1, but unlike Sasha and Alexia, are not adjustable. If your space allows about an 8 ft. spread an approximately an 8-10 ft. listening radius, and a 42 inch ear height, get Yvettes. They are excellent. A nice improvement over the older Sabrina.
Enjoy your quest.
Thanks. My room is large with a pitched roof ceiling 10-20ft high. I have little wiggle room for speaker placement, 10 ft spread, 12 ft radius ear height about 42.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Both are fantastic speakers, but the game we play would have you wanting the Yvette’s in no time then comes the hit.

If possible, always avoid the hit!
Thats great advice.The hit is nasty.