AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Randy,

I decided for the nonce to just go with the VK-250SE. After a week of testing the VK-42SE, and then switching back to using the VK-300xSE as the preamp, I just liked the sound of the music better. It wasn't anything that I could really hear, but more how I felt. I just suddenly felt more relaxed. My dealer says that it was because of the tubes in the integrated, and he may be right. I've never been particularly pro-tube, but I may have to start thinking about one of BAT's tube preamps.

Bill
Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Bill, congrats on the new acquisition. I have found the BAT tube preamp and BAT solid state amp to be an outstanding blend.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM

Hi, Randy.

I'm anxiously awaiting my VK-52SE. Should arrive in two weeks.

I'm moving the Krell and VK-5i into my bedroom and need to purchase new ICs and PCs for the BAT equipment. I want great sounding ICs and PCs but don't want to spend a lot on them... The VK-600SE and 52SE purchase hit my wallet hard and I'm contemplating a new set of speakers in the near future.

I see you're using WireWorld ICs and the Shunyata Hydra. Can you answer the following questions:

1. Have you tried Signal Cable ICs or PCs in your system, or heard them elsewhere? If so, what did you think, compared to your WireWorld cables?

2. What is your opinion on the PS Audio P-10 power conditioner and the Shunyata Triton?

3. I'm considering the EgglestonWorks Andra (1, 2 or 3), the Genesis 5.3, the Genesis G6.1 and Vandersteen 5A loudspeakers. Have you listened to any of these? If so, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Last edited by Dawgneck; 05-09-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 AM

I just found the thread you started re: your interconnect, speaker and power cable purchase and I'm reading through it now.

Perhaps my IC/PC questions will be answered somewhere in the thread....

Last edited by Dawgneck; 05-10-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:45 AM

I finished reading your WireWorld cable thread, Randy.

I'll have to get a SBA (Sonic Betterment Achievement) loan first, but I think I'll jump in as well....

I would like to hear more on the SignalCable, especially from someone with experience with both.

Last edited by Dawgneck; 05-10-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Has anyone heard any more info on the VK655 (I think is the model)? It's supposed to replace the VK600 and I read somewhere about it but there hasn't been any word on BAT's site. I remember talking to Geoff Poor and he said something about it when I listened to the VK600's but I was so excited to hear a BAT system for the first time I didn't ask any further questions about it.
2 Channel- BAT VK31, VTL Deluxe 300 fully modded, Esoteric DV50, Carver Amazing Silvers, Music Hall 2.2LE turntable (for now), Dynavector phono pre, RGPC 600S, Squeezebox Touch with Arcam RDac, MIT Shotgun S3 SC, Nordost IC's, PS Audio and Signal Cable PC's.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgneck View Post
I finished reading your WireWorld cable thread, Randy.

I'll have to get a SBA (Sonic Betterment Achievement) loan first, but I think I'll jump in as well....

I would like to hear more on the SignalCable, especially from someone with experience with both.
Ray, I am afraid that I am not going to much of a resource for you. I have not heard SignalCables, nor the PS Audio line conditioner, nor the speakers you listed. I am very pleased with my Shunyata Hydra, which is fed by a Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC, and to which a number of WireWorld Silver Electra 5.2 power cords are connected.

As to the SBA, there is no need to jump in that deeply. While I am a huge fan of WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 IC's and SC's, there are surely not the only good cables. In the past, many people matched Cardas Golden with BAT (looking for a warm sound). I was almost into a Shunyata loom, but ultimately went WireWorld.

Depending on what you have now (or do not have), you might want to go with Kimber 8TC speaker cables and Kimber Hero interconnects, just to get your feet wet. They are a very solid bang for the buck value and have good resale. And they are not nearly as pricey as WW Silver Eclipse 6 (and to be honest not as good either).

Let us know what you pick and how it worked out.

Last edited by chessman; 05-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
Has anyone heard any more info on the VK655 (I think is the model)?....
I believe a large BAT dealer in Florida has one on display, but I forget the name of the store.

I was too shocked to ask further questions after hearing about the 655SE THE DAY AFTER I purchased my 600SE.

I thought the 600SE was the most current model. A large part of my purchase was based on this.

Please let us know if you hear anything else.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks for your reply, Randy.

I spoke to a few dealers today and discussed cable options. Both dealers sell WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 cables and went into great detail about how the world will end if I attach anything else to my equipment .

I don't want to spend this type of money on cables, but I also don't want to play the "staircase" game (upgrading cables often) or spend too much time auditioning them. This is the reason I wanted to hear what people like you (who have the same BAT equipment I have) are using and skip right to the end.

I'm not sure what is going on, but a lot of people are saying great things about WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6. I don't want to buy something cheaper now and always have that "I should have..." feeling each time I turn my system on.

I'm leaning towards the Silver Eclipse cables....

My poor wallet!

Last edited by Dawgneck; 05-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Signal cable is good stuff IMO. I had it and well made and good sounding.

I like also Nordost, a bit brighter in SQ IMO but for me it worked. I personally am a fan of MIT cables and haven't really played with WireWorld, but was planning on getting some PC's by them.

I just always found MIT to give me a sound closer to what I was looking for and make it a bit more real. I know that the one reference system I heard which was VK600SE mono's with REX pre was using Nordost and it sounded great IMO.
2 Channel- BAT VK31, VTL Deluxe 300 fully modded, Esoteric DV50, Carver Amazing Silvers, Music Hall 2.2LE turntable (for now), Dynavector phono pre, RGPC 600S, Squeezebox Touch with Arcam RDac, MIT Shotgun S3 SC, Nordost IC's, PS Audio and Signal Cable PC's.