AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 PM

Question Comparing McIntosh preamps

When I look at choices of McIntosh preamplifiers before the Dec 1 price increase....

For $7000 you had the choices of D1100, C52, C2600 and just introduced C70.

I realize that the D1100 was designed for those with only digital sources.

So the question would be the sound quality difference between the C2600 and C70 as they have same tube layout and specifications on paper seem the same.

Should the aspect of no internal dac and less digital control allow for increased sound quality?

Already have on order the C70 ( not sure when it will arrive as it is stated 70th anniversary sets to be sold first ) but dealer said items were available to be ordered separately )
Old 12-09-2018, 07:01 AM

A very good question. That I hope to find out too.
May be the main analog amplification stage board inside of 2600 and 70 are the same.
I also think that MA7200 is 8900 without EQ, circuit and amp sections-wise would be similar or same. I really like how C70 look. But have no idea how good it is compared to other models in the line up.

Toga
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 AM

Miatadan congrats on your purchase. The 70 is a beautiful piece. You should really consider the matched power amp also. Anyway congrats on the purchase. I suspect that both will turn out to become highly sought after collector/vintage pieces, especially in matched pairs. In answer to your question simpler is usually better meaning that the 70 will have the edge sonically, IMO. Just saw where you ordered a 312 also. Should be fine with the 70. Congrats again.

Last edited by Charles; 12-11-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM

I'd rather have a C-22 III. It has a separate Balance control and a mode selector. But I am a SS guy, so I will have neither..
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 AM

I think you're best with an external DAC--their improvement curve is much faster than preamps, and even today it's tough for McIntosh to keep up on the digital side
Old 12-13-2018, 05:26 AM

The McIntosh C1000 pre-amp is one of the best analogue pre-amps on the planet. I very much enjoyed the Solid State version, too bad I no longer have any use for it in my current setup. I'm confident you can find good deals on the 2nd Hand Market.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 PM

Extremely satisfied C32 owner here. Minimal controls for the usefulness they provide, EQ center frequencies well chosen, beautiful aesthetics, highly flexible and sounds wonderful.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Hi miatadan -

Thought I would chime on the pre-amp discussion. Here are my thoughts:

D1100
This is my current pre-amp and is simply fantastic. I was rather stunned how much this unit has improved my system which also has a MCT-450 and MC152 in it. The ability to resolve very subtle details and overall heft makes this a very well rounded unit. While all digital, one should ask how many analog sources are needed and if all those inputs on the other options would go to waste.

However, we still need analog and the obvious ones would be an external phono stage and perhaps an SACD player where you need analog outputs. If you don't need analog sources then the D1100 should be a top contender. I will be adding a Linn LP12 by summer next year and will have to account for getting the analog to digital but other than that the D1100 is a winner to my ears.

C70 vs C22 (reissue)
Between these two. the C22 speaks more to me and I was really considering one to go with my D150/MCT450. It checked all the boxes and has a great vibe. Tube preamp, phono stage for MM/MC, loudness button, tone controls, and I really like the looks of it. Paired with a MC152, MC275 or a pair of MC75's would be a fantastic option. The only thing you would have to account for is a DAC that works for you or you could skip it and just go all analog from your various devices.

The new C70 is very similar to a C22 and if you like the look and the features I am sure it will be a great choice. I think it is missing a few things like a loudness button and de-dented positions for MC/MM. Also, with the C22, the tape loop is there making for the easy integration of a unit like the Sugar Cube SC-1 for removing pop and ticks from vinyl in real-time.

All of these options are good. I just felt the D1100 was the best choice as the only possible analog source I will have is phono and there are many good options to get that line level output of a phono stage to the D1100.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by med_designer View Post
Hi miatadan -

Thought I would chime on the pre-amp discussion. Here are my thoughts:

D1100
This is my current pre-amp and is simply fantastic. I was rather stunned how much this unit has improved my system which also has a MCT-450 and MC152 in it. The ability to resolve very subtle details and overall heft makes this a very well rounded unit. While all digital, one should ask how many analog sources are needed and if all those inputs on the other options would go to waste.

However, we still need analog and the obvious ones would be an external phono stage and perhaps an SACD player where you need analog outputs. If you don't need analog sources then the D1100 should be a top contender. I will be adding a Linn LP12 by summer next year and will have to account for getting the analog to digital but other than that the D1100 is a winner to my ears.

C70 vs C22 (reissue)
Between these two. the C22 speaks more to me and I was really considering one to go with my D150/MCT450. It checked all the boxes and has a great vibe. Tube preamp, phono stage for MM/MC, loudness button, tone controls, and I really like the looks of it. Paired with a MC152, MC275 or a pair of MC75's would be a fantastic option. The only thing you would have to account for is a DAC that works for you or you could skip it and just go all analog from your various devices.

The new C70 is very similar to a C22 and if you like the look and the features I am sure it will be a great choice. I think it is missing a few things like a loudness button and de-dented positions for MC/MM. Also, with the C22, the tape loop is there making for the easy integration of a unit like the Sugar Cube SC-1 for removing pop and ticks from vinyl in real-time.

All of these options are good. I just felt the D1100 was the best choice as the only possible analog source I will have is phono and there are many good options to get that line level output of a phono stage to the D1100.
Would have preferred the C22 as well and it is out of production now according to McIntosh on their facebook page , same time as MC75
Old 12-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I think you're best with an external DAC--their improvement curve is much faster than preamps, and even today it's tough for McIntosh to keep up on the digital side
Agree
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling