AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:12 PM

Default LampiZator Pacific and SuperKomputer - Background and Initial Impressions

Well, I’ve had the LampiZator Pacific/SuperKomputer combo for about a month now and I thought I would set out a few thoughts of how I got here, how it sounds and where I hope this is going. As most of you know, I am building a dedicated room (along with taking the rest of the house down to the studs), and I’m trying to do as much as I reasonably can to enter that new room with a properly calibrated system (although much will have to wait for the room to be done).

Prior to the Lampi, I had a PSAudio DirectStream DAC and it was just fine. In fact, I enjoyed my PSAudio DirectStream DAC very much and found it to be a terrific value (on our distorted audio spectrum of value). Having essentially a new DAC via their FREE updates about once a year was just so valuable and so much fun. I think Ted Smith is a quite talented guy and I might have waited on their signature tube DAC to come out, save for (a) their move away from a dealer network (which kind of just hacked me off, although I completely understand the motivation), (b) not sure when it would come out, and (c) a couple instances of products having to be sent back to PSAudio when they didn’t work properly out of the box. I also don’t care to buy the first version of almost anything and, given that my dedicated room will be done mid summer or so, I didn’t want to wait and then potentially not like the new PSA, etc.

While the DSDAC was just fine, I also knew it was not up to par with the rest of my system. My digital was my least favorite source (either streaming or CD) and it was more than a matter of straightening out the signal via Ethernet/fiber/gigafoil/etherregen/et al (although I will focus on that when I get in the room). I also have a great solid state system of amplification via the accuphase, but my favorite sounding source was my Magnum Dynalab MD-108TSE TUNER! There, I said it – my favorite source was my tuner, and I think the reason was that it introduced some luscious tube warmth into the wonderful Accuphase amplification stream for just the right balance (to my ear, in my system, insert all other disclaimers here, and qualify everything I say in this write up with each of those disclaimers). In fact, I got a simple DAC loaded in my 108T when I had it upgraded and I almost enjoyed that DAC more than the DSD (and I attributed that to the awesome tube output stage on the 108). So, rightly or wrongly, I focused my search on tube DACs.

I say that with some trepidation, as I am not a tube roller by nature. In fact, it makes me a little crazy to think about the variability introduced into the system by tubes. I also have no desire to have several thousand dollars of spares that I “just thought I’d try” sitting in a cardboard box somewhere. I investigated though and DACs aren’t supposed to be as challenging for tubes as are power amps (or, at least I read that and chose to believe it). On my tuner, I’ve had the same tubes since the upgrade with nary a problem (knock on wood), and that has been several years now. As far as I could tell, it was sort of like a cartridge and tone arm combo – one might have several that one tries, but I could also settle on one combo for a good long while. I also like the opportunity to change the sound to a degree with a new tube combo when things changed in the system, so I went with it. If you are an inveterate tube roller, the Pacific has FIVE heater settings for different tubes.

I also knew what I didn’t care for in a new DAC. I just did not like the Accuphase DP900/901 combination in my system and the DAC would not play DSD, plus it was just so huge, so more Accuphase was out (and there were no tubes). The Esoterics are well reviewed and loved by many here, but they just don’t fit with my aesthetic sensibilities, and there’s that tube thing again. I thought about the Chord Hugo/Scaler/Clock/et al, but by the time you did all of that, there’s a lot of devices and no tubes. I didn’t want to pay more than $20K or so, thus that took wide swaths of truly insane $$ DACs out of the running (EMM, dCS stack, MSB, et al). Brinkman Nyquist, Bricasti and a few others inhabit this monetary neighborhood, but they just didn’t do it for me sonically or aesthetically. I also did not want a multi-box stack.

There’s also the issue of updating a DAC. Digital will change and will change fast. The PSA/DSD handled this well with the FPGA and there are all kinds of updating capabilities/schemes with the major manufacturers. Lampi is somewhat old fashioned in this regard, but one does have a reliable upgrade path (I hope). Upon investigation, they have a good history of updating/exchanging previous model DACs for incremental cost, but you do have to send it back in to get it updated. No firmware updates, no swapping out modules, send the darn thing back to Poland nonetheless, and then it’s upgraded (for a fee, of course). That said, my view was that once one gets to a certain level, chasing the latest chip upgrade or format just didn’t matter as much. Plus, I can play with the tubes. This did influence my decision to go with the top of the line Pacific though, because there’s nowhere up to go from there within the Lampi line (presently). I got the balanced version, but without a volume control (because I love my Accuphase preamplifier).

In terms of formats, the Lampi does not do MQA, but it does DSD gloriously. I dumped Tidal about six months ago when Qobuz came out and I was satisfied with their sound, so just no need for MQA for me. The Pacific has all of the normal inputs (plus a Roon ready Ethernet input) and you can specify those to some degree. I do miss the I2S input (which some say has a proprietary/non-standard implementation, but it sure did sound good on the DSD). I run the AES/EBU to my PSAudio Memory Stream player and USB to the SuperKomputer.

Yes, I replaced my Silenzio with the SuperKomputer. This was largely an “in for a penny, in for a pound” decision and confidence (hope) that an unbroken/custom built Lampi chain would result in positive sound results, and it did. The Silenzio is still a huge bang for the buck and includes the ability to rip CDs, which should not be underestimated. The SuperKomputer is essentially an uber Linux box, with massive power supplies and only a tiny emergency fan (that I haven’t heard yet). From a SQ perspective, the SuperKomputer was quite a bit more satisfying to my ear than the Silenzio – when connected to either the PSA/DSD or the Pacific. When connected to the Pacific via the Final Touch Audio USB cable, the SQ just went through the roof (there’s that continuous Lampi chain thing again). Final Touch is a Serbian cable maker that the folks at Lampi North America sell and it easily bested the Wireworld USB I previously ran (which was dated and not their top of the line, even at the time I bought it). The FTA USB was just much more natural and relaxed, while retaining the detail without a hint of digital harshness. I am also going to try the Final Touch power cables into the SuperKomputer and Pacific – could be just a bit of fanboy delirium here, but as of now, the Lampi chain is really working some magic.

So, what’s it sound like? It sounds like what I always wanted my system to sound like – the sound stage is almost scarily wide, but the layers and depth of the soundstage are just amazing, while retaining the ability to distinguish between and place instruments within that wide and deep stage. High hats simply never sounded this good (if I heard them at all). It does add that perfect tube tone to my system that I was seeking, and yes, I have another set of tubes on order (despite all of my statements about not being a tube rolling guy, thousands of dollars of extra tubes laying around, etc.) – just to see what they sound like. I originally heard the Lampi Big Seven (previous Lampi DAC) at a friend’s house - I haven’t heard anything that moved me off of the Lampi course since then. The Pacific provides everything I heard in the Seven, but just so much more, it’s hard to even compare them.

The Pacific took me where I wanted to be – no quality difference in digital v analog, it’s just a matter of where one has the best source material. It does not have a digital signature to my ear, whatsoever (the PSA DSD definitely had a digital sound to my ear). If I drop a needle on a good vinyl copy, that’s fine. If I spin a CD or order something up on Roon because that’s the copy that sounds best or the only available copy, then fine. The whole analog v digital argument is over for me – whichever sounds best on my system and fits my mood at the time. And, I love turning on my MD tuner and seeing what my favorite DJs are spinning. So, it’s all good.

Plus, there are the looks! I didn’t want a multi-box system, but then I went and bought a DAC that has SEVEN exposed tubes and pretty much has to sit on the top shelf. It’s beautifully rendered – not with the Accuphase polished/70s look, but a more organic look. I think both of them will still appeal to the eye (my eye anyway) many years from now (and that was not the case with most of the digital enclosures I looked at). Some of the early Lampi DACs were somewhat DIY looking (because they were essentially DIY boxes), but this one is just beautiful. It is a statement piece that will attract lots of comments, but when the lights are off and the tubes are glowing, the looks don’t really matter. It comes in a stout flight case (mine was slightly damaged by DHL, but the DAC was fine).

In order to save a few bucks on the Lampi, I pre-arranged to buy the copy of the Pacific/SuperKomputer that was used in the Florida Audio Show (I drove down from Atlanta), so avoided shipping costs and got a bit knocked off the purchase price. Tough to make these sorts of statements, but I think the Pacific gets in the neighborhood of DACS several multiples of its price, and it added just the right tonic to my system. Fred and Rob with the distributor were great to work with and there are dealers in the states.

Now, I just need to get in that room, get this beast of a system reassembled and tuned in, and listen to some music. Apologies for the long post, but there is more to these decisions than I would have thought.

Jim/weirdcuba
Old 03-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Life is beautiful

Jim, thank you for your well written impressions on the Lampizator gear.

The problem is... I don't believe you!

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Jim...having heard the Pacific and prior Lampi DACs and the SuperKomputer, I am not at all surprised by your review. Just wanted to say thanks for a very detailed and excellent review!
Old 03-08-2020, 06:25 PM

Great write-up Jim, it’s always interesting to read about the experiences and thought process that go into a major purchase decision like this. But as Bart pointed out, we need pictures!
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default LampiZator Pacific and SuperKomputer - Background and Initial Impressions

Who’s excited? Jim is excited!

Great write up. Much of your decision tree is pertinent to where my Audio Nervosa is right now.

If I am going to lay out that kind of coin, I need to hear it in my room or in a system that also has my (or close to) mu digital front end.

I applaud you for making that jump without hearing it in your system. More guts than I have.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 03-08-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:52 PM

Once I heard the earlier Lampi DAC, I literally heard nothing else that came close to pushing the buttons. It was easy, but I had a reference point.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 PM

The Pacific is beautiful and I want to take photos that do it justice. Working on the photos part - I was supposed to be in Europe this week (on business) and the Seychelles next week (fly fishing), but alas, the virus has me at home. So, maybe I’ll have time to do some decent photos.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM

Great review! Thanks!
Amplification Mc MC901 & MC1.25KW monoblocs; Shunyata Sigma ICs;1 AudioQuest Niagra 5K per side powering amps using Shunyata Sigma PCs
Preamp/Digital Mc C1100 Preamp Sh. Sigma V2 PC; Mc D1100 DAC Sh Sigma PC; Mc MCT500 transport Sh. Venom 14 PC; : Intel NUC w/Mc Drvr as Roon Endpoint, Sh. Sigma USB, Sh. Venom 14D PC; Sh. Denali 6000/s v2.
Analog Basis 2200Sig TT; Basis SuperArm 9 TA; Lyra Etna SL Cart;
HT:
Speakers: C-B&W CT8.2LCR; LRSur-B&W CT8.4 LCRS; R-B&W 804D2; CeilAtmos-4X B&W CCM8.5D; SUB-2X JL Gotham
Amps: C+Surr MC303; R+Atm- 2 x MC255
PrePro/Video: Marantz AV8805; KScape; Sony 4kBluRay; Sony VPL-VW995ES 4K Laser Proj.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:20 PM

Existential crisis - the back up tubes I want are all back ordered/out of stock/etc. (they come from China). Now ... this virus thing is really getting to me.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Racing Hoopties

Pics! Pics! Pics!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack