AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM

If it really sounds as good as you guys and the other reviews say it does, at $2995 I would say this is fantastic value. My curiosity is peaked.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
If it really sounds as good as you guys and the other reviews say it does, at $2995 I would say this is fantastic value. My curiosity is peaked.
It's cheap enough it's worth getting and playing around with. I did and the AHB2 wound up being my primary amp.

Pair it with a tubed preamp with low output impedance and you will enjoy fine results.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Definitely worth getting an eval unit (the 30 day return policy is extremely generous, but Benchmark can do that selling direct). I found that you need at least a week with the unit to really start to hear what it can do (very similar to my experience when listening to Chord DACs for the first time...there is some brain retraining going on)

I just got my permanent one this week. Now I need to decide whether to get a second one to run as mono blocks.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
It's cheap enough it's worth getting and playing around with. I did and the AHB2 wound up being my primary amp.

Pair it with a tubed preamp with low output impedance and you will enjoy fine results.
I just might! I’m looking to build a value system this time around. Good sound for sane price.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Serge,
I really like the Benchmark stuff I've owned and wouldn't hesitate to get their amp. It sounded great driving some ML speakers at RMAF.
I think the DAC 3 HGC and this amp would make a great combo and would drive any speakers you choose.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-14-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Serge,
I really like the Benchmark stuff I've owned and wouldn't hesitate to get their amp. It sounded great driving some ML speakers at RMAF.
I think the DAC 3 HGC and this amp would make a great combo and would drive any speakers you choose.
Tom
Tom, the Benchmark amp sounds like a great deal, especially if it is not analytical, bleached and sterile sounding as is often the case with lower priced amps. The reviews seem to point to the fact it is not which is great.

As far as preamps and DACs, it's been a while since I've experimented but I've never been a big fan of digital domain volume control or even passive preamps for that matter. The music always seems to be missing body and bloom. I can't say since I've never heard the DAC 3 HGC but I would guess that a tube preamp between a DAC and amp would be more to my liking.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Could be - I'm using a C1100 and MC 2301's after the DAC. Sounds fantastic. I've never tried it direct. Since the HGC has an analog input I'm guessing it has an analog volume control - otherwise they'd have to digitize the analog input which I know they are not doing.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Could be - I'm using a C1100 and MC 2301's after the DAC. Sounds fantastic. I've never tried it direct. Since the HGC has an analog input I'm guessing it has an analog volume control - otherwise they'd have to digitize the analog input which I know they are not doing.
Between the C1100 and MC2301 you have the "great sound" covered. I also owned the MC2301 pair so I do remember how impressive they sounded. I'll have to take a closer look at the Benchmark DAC.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:38 PM

I am loving the C1100 MC 2301 combo - McIntosh really has something going with this pair.

The Benchmark I heard @ RMAF 2017 was playing a pair of Martin Logan speakers. I don't remember the model #. They had the amps setup as monoblocs but the guy said running a single amp in Stereo mode sounds the same, just less power. It didn't sound harsh, dry or strident. But I don't know these speakers very well, so YMMV.

With a 30 day trial, the risk gets a lot lower. Happy hunting!

Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-14-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I am loving the C1100 MC 2301 combo - McIntosh really has something going with this pair.

The Benchmark I heard @ RMAF 2017 was playing a pair of Martin Logan speakers. I don't remember the model #. They had the amps setup as monoblocs but the guy said running a single amp in Stereo mode sounds the same, just less power. It didn't sound harsh, dry or strident. But I don't know these speakers very well, so YMMV.

With a 30 day trial, the risk gets a lot lower. Happy hunting!

Electrostatic speakers tend to reveal any bad traits in the chain so if that system sounded good, I’m not worried! Thank you for sharing your thoughts