AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One
Rolling tubes in no different from selecting cables/interconnects ,swapping cartridges, etc and has nothing to do with poorly designed amps (or other gear). People tweak their systems to get the sound they are looking for.

Jim
Tubes and cartridges are active devises.

As such they can add information, while cables with networks can only remove/filter information.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Many thanks to forum members with lots of consructive suggestions.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
Tubes and cartridges are active devises.

As such they can add information, while cables with networks can only remove/filter information.
Yes, they can actually remove and filter some of the information that we prefer not to hear including some added or exacerbated by the tubes, cartridges, emi, etc.

jim
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One
Yes, they can actually remove and filter some of the information that we prefer not to hear including some added or exacerbated by the tubes, cartridges, emi, etc.

jim
If you need network cables to remove/filter information you prefer not to hear, that's the "tail waging the dog," and there's something very wrong with your system.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM

I have always wondered why anyone would want a box full of electronics (on MIT cables) between their power amp and speakers.

It seems you would either like your amp and/or speakers or not.

Your power amp shouldn't even know there are wires, let alone electronics, between its output terminals and the speaker. The simplest solid connections would be best.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 03-07-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
I have always wondered why anyone would want a box full of electronics (on MIT cables) between their power amp and speakers.

It seems you would either like your amp and/or speakers or not.

Your power amp shouldn't even know there are wires, let alone electronics, between its output terminals and the speaker. The simplest solid connections would be best.
Your pondering over why someone enjoys their system's sound with network boxes is no different than someone else wondering why someone chooses tubes over SS or speaker A over speaker B, or DAC B versus DAC C. We all know when we are getting closer to the sound we want to hear.

Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Rolling tubes in no different from selecting cables/interconnects ,swapping cartridges, etc and has nothing to do with poorly designed amps (or other gear). People tweak their systems to get the sound they are looking for.

Jim
+1...

The MIT's I've demoed improved soundstage size and definition. Their interconnects prevent impedance mismatches, which has nothing to do with the quality of the gear used, just the selection.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Your pondering over why someone enjoys their system's sound with network boxes is no different than someone else wondering why someone chooses tubes over SS or speaker A over speaker B, or DAC B versus DAC C. We all know when we are getting closer to the sound we want to hear.

Jim
Yup!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM

I owned the Sophia 1 and moved to the WP 8 the difference in resolution was shocking so when g997 says the 501's have less detail and are slow for Wilsons I would value his experience!
At one point my system contained Aesthetix Calypso, ARC VS-115, Sophia 1, AQ Sky, AQ Volcano and after much rolling of gear say; if you have the funds and desire to pursue upgrading I would start with the speakers, possible moving to the WP 8's, a great evaluation tool, and build the system around them. The amp choices will become easier knowing the speakers and evaluating cables and other gear will be easier.
Basis 2500/Vector 3/Air Tight PC-1,Koetsu Urushi Black,Rosewood/Walker Ultimate Precision,Gamut CD-3 Joule LAP-150 Mkll,Joule VZN-160 Musicwoods MkV, Purist Proteus Provectus I/C 1.5m, Proteus Provectus S/C 8',Wilson WATT/Puppy 8/ Solid Tech Rack Of Silence 4 & 1's/ GIK 242 (4), 244 (2), ASC Tube Traps X 48",(2)16"ST,(2)11",(2)9",(2) 1/2 11" & 9",Real Traps (4) Mondo Traps/ Phonic PAA2 RTA.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:57 PM

I do not use transparent or MIT but for those of you who recall Wilson's website around the time of wp6s and 7s, Wilson "recommended" networked cables for Wilson speakers. I've heard Wilson's with Transparent on many occasions and can say only good things about that combo.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,