AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Congrats on your pruchase (I just seen your other thread) . There is nothing like coming away from an audition felling so great about a product.

I was going to post that I think you're room must be contributing to you hearing more bass from the 802's (or the dealers for the lack of bass from the Sasha's) because I always thought the Sasha's had a much larger cabinet than the 802's which would at least give them the potential for more bass from the dual 8" drivers but I just looked up the specs and they are remarkably close so I'm not so sure that is going to be the case.

The Sasha's are heavier, around 40lbs more but darn the height, width and depth are close. It will indeed be interesting to get your impressions of the bass performance once your Sasha's arrive.

I just seen the color you decided on, that's a beautiful color.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Yeah I am sure my room is just more bass heavy than the demo room. That room had concrete floors and huge bass traps. Very dampened.

The bass cabinets are very close in size, and of course the drivers are the same size. I woud think the response would be similar. The port on the sasha is in the back, the port on the 802 is on the bottom. So the 802 is more "room neutral" I would say...the port is always pointing down. The sasha needs to take the back wall into consideration more because of the rear port. I am a little concerned about that because I can't have them out into the room very far or it will look awful. They will certainly end up closer to a wall than in the dealer's room. They were like 2 feet away from the back (or front depending how you look at it) wall there. I expect to have them about one foot away, my 802's are about 9 inches away.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Yeah I am sure my room is just more bass heavy than the demo room. That room had concrete floors and huge bass traps. Very dampened.

The bass cabinets are very close in size, and of course the drivers are the same size. I woud think the response would be similar. The port on the sasha is in the back, the port on the 802 is on the bottom. So the 802 is more "room neutral" I would say...the port is always pointing down. The sasha needs to take the back wall into consideration more because of the rear port. I am a little concerned about that because I can't have them out into the room very far or it will look awful. They will certainly end up closer to a wall than in the dealer's room. They were like 2 feet away from the back (or front depending how you look at it) wall there. I expect to have them about one foot away, my 802's are about 9 inches away.
Marc,

If the manufacture's specs are to be believed, the 802s go down to 34hz and the Wilsons down to 22hz. So, probably more bass for the Wilsons. As to room placement, there's another post on this site in Wilson that outlines the WASP process. Think it's also on their website and definitely can be reached through the smart phone AP. Mine sound best farther out into the room tweeters are maybe four feet out, ... but that has to do with the image debth, not the bass. So, maybe for you it's better that they will be closer to the wall, you'll get a bunch more bass that way. A while ago I owned B&W N800s and could never get them to image at all in my room. If that's any indication, think you'll be very pleased with the Sashas.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks Bob. For whatever reason, not only do my 802's seem to have more bass, but deeper bass. It doesn't jive with the specs, I know. All I know is when I demo'd the Sasha's with identical equipment to my own, I tried a few songs with deep LFE on purpose just to see how they would perform, and I couldn't hear or feel much below maybe 30-40hz. It MUST be that room.

How far apart are your Sasha's and how far away is your seating position in order to get that kind of imaging?

My dealer promised to set them up and give me sound which meets or exceeds what is in his room. He helped me with my 802's too, and said he thinks my room is pretty good compared to his showroom. Funny, huh? Well, I told him I will be holding him to the promise he made! I'm not worried.