AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Default Any experience/opinions on Adam Active and Semi-Active Speakers ? ...

Tensor Series | ADAM Audio GmbH

Beta - Gallery | ADAM Audio GmbH

TENSOR Series: Highest End
A completely new concept lies at the heart of the Tensor High-End-Series. Numerous new approaches and technical developments let this loudspeaker deliver an unfettered performance: the precision and harmony of all frequency bands guarantee an unparalleled experience of music reproduction. The Tensors combine all ADAM innovations with no-compromise materials as well as the greatest care in production.
After the presentation of the stand loudspeakers Alpha, Beta, and Gamma, which have caused a sensation among experts and enthusiasts, the series is now being expanded by two compact models as well as a center and a subwoofer.
The two compact TENSORs Delta and Epsilon have been designed for both high-class stereo and multichannel reproduction. To realize all kinds of multichannel applications, the Center and subwoofer have been developed.
A brand new feature found in the active Tensor speakers is the A/B amplifier, which has been designed by ADAM to perfectly complement the X-ART tweeter. This amplifier ensures that one of the outstanding features of the tweeter, its frequency response up to 50kHz, can be realized with no limitations.
All models can be delivered either active or semi-active (i.e. only the bass section is being driven by internal amplifiers). They are available in glossy black, glossy silver, or glossy black/silver.

Beta
The 128 cm high Beta is the middle loudspeaker of the floorstanding Tensors. It consists of two separate cabinets decoupled by special sandbags. Each of its two electronically equalized 11“ HexaCone woofers (front/rear mounted) is driven by a 250 W amplifier.
The upper unit features a 7” HexaCone woofer midrange, one X-ART midrange and one X-ART tweeter, driven by the brand new A/B amplifier that has been designed. This combination achieves a stunningly detailed yet natural resolution of the crucial middle frequencies.
The complex sandwich-designed enclosures have a sand layer to reduce unwanted cabinet vibrations. The semi-active version is equipped with top-quality, WBT populated bi-wiring terminals. The fully active version has three more 250 W amplifiers and premium balanced (XLR) input connectors. Numerous controls are provided so that both versions can be optimal adapted to the specific room characteristics.
“With Beta you can see all the way through the sound stage. It is like experiencing a summer day after the rain has washed the landscape. The sun looks at you between the clouds and the entire world is shining clean - through new clean 'windows' in your living room.”
(Hjemmekino/Norway, 01/2009)
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Yo Joe
they are well regarded here - particularly the Tensor Beta and Gamma. The Alphas are a huge speaker and expensive.
There is a fellow I know selling his Gamma's for A$13k ono if you are interested. Also has a MPD5 for sale I think. Top bloke - he is to be trusted.
I can also easily recommend my SGR CX4F's. I know SGR are keen to sell to the US and accordingly would do you a sharp price. Probably 10k landed.
Both speakers are VERY transparent - so you need a warm source. The Adams has that glorious ribbon tweeter - I really like them. But not twice as much as the SGR's.
Can't go wrong with either.
Oh Adams are ported and SGR are sealed + have a parabolic EQ built in.

Actives are great.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks Andy. I'm just checking all my options before I make a final choice. I kind of enjoy the thrill of the hunt
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Ha- don't we all.

The thing about active speakers is they take away all the fun and money you can spend on power amps and cables to and from.

Personally I'd never buy anything unless I heard it. Well apart from my CJ and Mytek.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Ha- don't we all.

The thing about active speakers is they take away all the fun and money you can spend on power amps and cables to and from.

Personally I'd never buy anything unless I heard it. Well apart from my CJ and Mytek.
That's what I was thinking. There might be a local dealer for me to check them out. I'll let you know if I decide to take a listen.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 AM

Bear in mind resale is tough - over here there is a good market for used SGR not so much Adams. They don't sell like Sonus Faber for instance.

Quad 2905 work VERY well with CJ. Try them you might like them - they are among the best in the world and I'm sure you wouldn't have the sort of issues I did - well I hope not. Resale also tough.

Happy hi fi

Berthold Auerbach
Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Thanks Andy. I'm just checking all my options before I make a final choice. I kind of enjoy the thrill of the hunt
My recommendations for you would be TAD CR-1s, Quad 2905s, or Dynaudio C2s.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 AM

Quad 2905's do sound nice, but I don't believe they'd work in his setup. The TAD's or a smaller Dyna would work well though.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 12-28-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Quad 2905's do sound nice, but I don't believe they'd work in his setup. The TAD's or a smaller Dyna would work well though.

I've been looking at the Dyna's also. Mike, I may just have to have you come over and give me some pointers. My first choice are the CR-1's and I want to make them happen. It may take a couple of more months to sort out the finances but it is doable
Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 AM

Best advice - buy exactly what you want. Those TADs look amazing!

Berthold Auerbach