AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Default The Speakers just disappeared……

First the preamble….

A recent move into a new home necessitated “blowing up” my existing system and going in a few different directions. As is always the case, a few surprises come up along the way and unexpectedly one ends up heading in a few unplanned and different directions. For the upstairs system I ended up with a McIntosh integrated feeding a pair of B&W 805S on factory stands.

Finally last evening I had a few spare hours to spend dialling in the new system…mostly fine tuning the speaker placement. Initially I had gone with far too much toe-in and was also to close to the rear walls. Slowly, and literally inch by inch and angle by angle I tweaked the setup until suddenly the speakers just disappeared literally. As much as I have never been a fan of the old audio cliché, it is still with a sense of bewilderment how much proper placement of your speakers can influence the sound. In my case reducing the toe in angle to almost none and a roughly two inches further from the walls basically completely eliminated the speakers, brought the imaging entirely into focus and opened up the depth in soundstage that Mac’s as well known for.

In short, it was pure audio bliss and a reminder of how much fun standmounts can be. This is basically a pointless post but I felt compelled to share my enjoyment with those of us who have been down this road before. It truly is a fun hobby and nights like last night make it all worthwhile……
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 PM

lakesailor...congrats. That is awesome when you get it just right and they do that disappearing act

PS: how's the dedicated room construction coming along?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
lakesailor...congrats. That is awesome when you get it just right and they do that disappearing act

PS: how's the dedicated room construction coming along?
Thanks !!!….my other speakers are panels and require a fair bit more toe-in the B&W’s do…it was a fun evening. The dedicated room downstairs is coming along really well…my drywall contractor (who is a friend) got all of the Quietrock floated and finished after the electrician did his thing and now the rest is up to me…starting with paint for the walls and lighting. Now having second thoughts on the flooring. Initially I was going all carpet, however last night the ability to easily move around the standmounts on hardwood flooring and fine tune was far easier then making adjustments with conventional spikes over carpet. Decisions….decisions…. Over the Holiday’s I will get some pictures up…I still have to order my room treatments as well although I have a lead on a source for that. It is all coming together rather well. Thanks for asking !
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Learning to Listen

Congrats. Very kool description. Hope mine do the same one day......