AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM

Default Help with picking downsized system

An upcoming move-in with the gf means I’m moving into a smaller place in the city while she finishes up law school.

I listed most of the larger system I have now in a dedicated room.

New system will need to fit on 1-2 shelves, only interested in McIntosh components. I’m 90% vinyl, she’s going to want to stream digital (quality isn’t an issue, just needs to be convenient).

I have two potential ideas that I think I’ll be happy with.

I have a pair of Egglestonworks Fontaine’s (1 mid, 1 woofer) with stands I’ll be using. 87db efficiency so I think 200-300w would be ideal. I had the 452 powering the Rosa’s (2 mids, 2 woofers) and it was never above 1/2 power. I had a ma252 powering a pair of Isabels (1 mid) no problem. Don’t know the room yet as we’re still looking but being in the city I’m sure it won’t be huge, lol

Looking for your thoughts and suggestions on:

#1: MAC6700 with MT-5. Gives me freedom to play radio all day as background noise (I usually work at home), takes MC/MM phono and has those ever so cool blue meters on the front. In a pinch the mt5 could sit ontop the mac6700. Downside it, it’s gonna take up a full shelf, won’t fit in all furniture and I’m paying for a lot of features that won’t be used/important.

#2: ma252 with mt5 and Ortofon MM black cartridge. It’s only 100w/channel but based on Isabel performance, I think this amp can handle
It. This looks cooler on the shelf sitting by itself, takes up less space and is 1/2 the price of the 6700. Of course, I loose the tuner (really not a big deal) and MC input, but would save almost $3000 overall.

Anyone want to chime in which path they’d go down? I could always start with the 252 and if I didnt like it sell it and upgrade, but I’d rather just pick the right system from the start.

For those using either, please let me know what speakers you’re using and how happy you are with the system overall

Last edited by jdandy; 01-31-2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Promoting FS items on open forum against forum rules.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

I’m not familiar with your speakers, but I am happy with my MAC6700 which powers my secondary system.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I’m not familiar with your speakers, but I am happy with my MAC6700 which powers my secondary system.

What speakers are you powering with them? Are you using the phono input, and if so, what cartridge?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 PM

I would say the MA252 better fits your specific needs. You can always add a small phono pre-amp and use one of the analog inputs on the back for the TT signal.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 PM

I came back to AA after a hiatus to research a second system, analog only, that I could use in a second bedroom. I decided upon McIntosh front end with the MT5 and MA252 driving the reincarnated JBL L100 Classic. The orange grill of my youth being the only choice. Speakers aside the Mac components are truly excellent both sonically and esthetically.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:00 PM

Djcxxx how does the ma252 phono handle the mt5 cartridge? I know its a high output mc but does the ma252 mm inout handle it ok?
Old 02-03-2019, 02:18 PM

+1 for the McIntosh MA252. In case you weren’t aware, Greg is selling a nearly new MA252 in the AA Marketplace. Great amp for a great price from a great seller.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:07 PM

My biggest concerns with the 252 are the total power (100w) and limitation on mm cartridge. I know I’ve seen it demo’d at AD with mt5’s mc cartridge but did not get an chance to critically listen to it used that way
Old 02-03-2019, 05:27 PM

The pairing of the cartridge (Sumiko Blue Point HO MC) w/ the phono section of the MA252 is well matched and I doubt McIntosh would have made an error in terms of gain incompatibility. Whether you like the sonic character of the combination is another matter. I did not care to exceed the complexity or cost by adding a phono preamp to allow use of low output MC cartridges. OTOH there are MM cartridges that could be used without great additional expense, such as those from Clearaudio. The sonic character of the cartridge supplied with the MT5 would not exclude the purchase of the table/arm in my opinion.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 AM

Mille162 -

Concur with others on the MT5 + MA252. Should result in a very nice system. If you do not drive your speakers to very loud levels 100W or 160W should plenty of power. My Dynaudio Special 25's are around 88dB sensitive and my MC152 is more than enough power.

Another option could be a MA7200 or a MAC7200 - gets you 200W, Autoformers, a MC input and a DAC module. More flexible and still a two unit solution. Also gives you more flexibility with cartridges.