AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Retired

Default Downloading (uploading?) From iPhone/iPad?

We recently returned from a great trip to Spain and used our iPhone 6 & iPad Mini-2 for most of our photography. We are both neophytes when it comes to downloading pic's from these two devices and are wondering if there is a 'best way' to download the pic's to a computer.
Thanks.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-27-2016, 12:26 PM

Is your computer a PC (windows based) or a Mac?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 PM
Retired

PC at the moment. If it ever dies will likely go for a Mac.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Racing Hoopties

Glenn, there are no doubt more elegant ways but you could start by emailing them to yourself. Then you get the email on your PC and save the attachments there. Truly a brute force way to get them to your PC. The more elegant way is to use the iCloud but I am not proficient enough to give the steps needed here. Give me a sandwich and a beer and some time, I could get it done though. Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM

Hook your iPhone/iPad to your PC with the standard Lightning to USB cable.
Open File Explorer, find "This PC" on the left side, scroll down and you'll find your device.
Open it and then it's drag and drop to wherever you want to store the pics.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Retired

OK......... I've tried as you suggest, but find nothing that I can identify as the iPhone 6. Is there supposed to be an app of some sort on the iPhone that allows me to do the downloads? With the phone hooked up using the USB port on the computer to socket on the bottom of the phone I am getting no indication on the computer that they are connected. However, the phone did ask if it can trust the computer, so it knows it is connected.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:26 PM

What OS on the PC are you running, did you also install itunes too?
Old 01-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Sorry you are having trouble. This is what the File Explorer Screen looks like. My iPhone is highlighted on the left side. This is Windows 10, but if I remember Win 7 looks about the same. I do have iTunes loaded on this PC. It was not active when I did this earlier today. Maybe one of its components is needed.....dunno. I'm afraid I've now exhausted all of my knowledge on this subject.

Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 PM

I use the email method when it's only a few pics or the USB/lightning cable like suggested above.

If the cable doesn't work (which is strange really), try iCloud....Simply send pics from your phone to iCloud, then open iTunes on computer and download from iCloud. You might need to pay $0.99/month for the larger storage iCloud plan.

Here are a few articles on accomplishing the transfer;

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...photos-iphone/

http://www.m2mate.com/resources/5-wa...-computer.html

Good luck!

Mike
Old 01-30-2016, 10:10 PM

I've had to figure this out myself since I got my first iPhone and iPad in the past few months.

If you're having difficulty with Windows Explorer try opening the Windows Picture gallery--you should see your iPhone show up in the left hand column. Make sure your phone is turned on--you will see a message that tells you your PC is trying to access your phone and you will need to authorize it.

A far simpler way is to send your photos to the cloud, which you can access from your PC. You can set your phone and tablet to automatically stream your photos to iCloud.

Personally I find the iCloud a bit clunky and had better results with Microsoft's OneDrive app, but storage is limited. I settled on the Amazon Cloud, which gives you unlimited free storage of photos if you are a Prime member. Put the app on your phone and when you open it it will scan your photos and stream them to the cloud automatically--couldn't be easier.

Google drive gets lots of good press for its cloud storage of photos and will store them for free if you don't mind them being compressed.

All these apps are free so you can download them all and settle on which works best for you. Good luck.