AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Sports

Sports Place for all to discuss different sports

Old 07-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Default We won!!!!

OMG- what a game! The Indians, with their multi-million dollar+ players, an opening batsman (Sharma) who has scored 5 centuries in the Tournament (World Number 2 Batsman), Kohli (World Number 1 batsman), and MS Dhoni (50+ average, 350 games for India & the 'finisher'), Bumrah (Worlds number 1 bowler) and we beat them! https://www.espncricinfo.com/

No sleep, can't believe it! Pacing the lounge at 2 am in the morning screaming when Dhoni was brilliantly run out by Guppy- what a moment!
Then cleaning up the tail of the Indian batting- what a night- took me 2 hours to calm down before going to bed. I'm bearly eyed at work this morning.

This is International Sport at its best.

I do feel sorry for my friends in the USA- your 2 top sports (Baseball & American Football) nobody else plays: so no World Cup, no tours of other countries. You are missing out on life's best sporting moments- playing other countries & winning against the odds- nobody gave New Zealand a chance against India.- NZ with under 5 million people & Cricket the poor cousin of Rugby, bet the WORLD POWER India with 1.339 Billion People & the BCCI has more money than God- it's just unbelievable.

Us Kiwis, our 2 top sports, Rugby & Cricket- half the World play (with Cricket, over 3 Billion People follow the game) and there is NOTHING like winning an International Game of Sport.

I'm gonna need a stiff whiskey & a lie down now, but its only 10.20am in the morning.

Aussie v the Poms tonight-that should also be a cracking game!

Could be an ANZAC Final!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

I'm not even into sports very much, but we just won the FIFA woman's world cup soccer a few days ago, did you already forget?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm not even into sports very much, but we just won the FIFA women's world cup soccer a few days ago, did you already forget?
Soccer is not my game, but I did know about the win.

The question is: Is women's soccer in your top 5 Sports or even top 10?

Most news in regards to the USA Win on this side of the World was about Trumps inviting or not inviting the players to the Whitehouse.

Weird.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Why oh why don't American's like cricket? Not even a sniff at a 5 min highlight reel even of a genuine World cup. The mind boggles. I'm all for the Ladies World cup, it's kinda our national game, but then so is Cricket, and I genuinely enjoy the highlight reels of Baseball and NFL, heck even Basketball back in the day even, I just don't understand this utter coldness in regard to Cricket. Great result NZ, I really enjoyed it.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Soccer is not my game, but I did know about the win.

The question is: Is women's soccer in your top 5 Sports or even top 10?

Most news in regards to the USA Win on this side of the World was about Trumps inviting or not inviting the players to the Whitehouse.

Weird.
Nope, it's not in my top 5 . but like I said i'm not really a sports person in general. I do watch American football.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Nope, it's not in my top 5 . but like I said i'm not really a sports person in general. I do watch American football.
One thing about American Football, which they could learn from Rugby, is to pass the ball to a teammate in a better position- they almost never do that.

I asked a mate who loves NFL why? his reply was that they are terrified of 'fumbling the ball'. My response was- practice catching the ball then!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
One thing about American Football, which they could learn from Rugby, is to pass the ball to a teammate in a better position- they almost never do that.

I asked a mate who loves NFL why? his reply was that they are terrified of 'fumbling the ball'. My response was- practice catching the ball then!

Not sure exactly what situation you are referring to but main reason is the RULES. The rules for US Football are vastly different from Rugby. I like both games.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Not sure exactly what situation you are referring to but main reason is the RULES. The rules for US Football are vastly different from Rugby. I like both games.
I'm sure the NFL rules allow you to pass the ball backward (unlike Rugby, NFL allows 1 forward pass).

Am I correct?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default We won!!!!

Quote:
I'm sure the NFL rules allow you to pass the ball backward (unlike Rugby, NFL allows 1 forward pass).

Am I correct?

Yes but you only get 4 downs (plays) to advance 10 yards unlike Rugby. If you do, you get 4 more downs. If not, you have to punt (kick) the ball to the other team and thus lose control over it. I have watched Rugby matches where a team makes many many plays and advances the ball a few yards down the pitch.

I can’t explain it well but my observation is that Rugby rules place a premium on and reward controlling the ball with forward movement. While US Football has both aspects, the lack of downs forces a bias towards forward movement IN MOST CASES.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 07-10-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
I do feel sorry for my friends in the USA- your 2 top sports (Baseball & American Football) nobody else plays: so no World Cup, no tours of other countries. You are missing out on life's best sporting moments
Could be an ANZAC Final!
With all due respect, this is one of the most misguided things I think I’ve ever read on AA. Among 50 others reasons I can think of, did you have any idea that the largest attended football/soccer game during the last men’s World Cup was not in Russia but in Atlanta during an MLS playoff game? One of The reasons that American football is so popular here is because the games do not end after 90 plus minutes in a 0-0 tie. NFL football athletes are the strongest most conditioned athletes in the world and would make rugby athletes look ridiculous if there were ever some type of comparison. Aside from men’s soccer, there is a reason the US dominates team sports and the summer olympics....if the US’s best athletes actually cared and wanted to complete in soccer, they would most likely dominate there as well but the best athletes in the US have no reason or desire to play soccer, rugby etc since no one here cares.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3