AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-19-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Is there a preferred Inspire amp?
The “next one” coming out is the preferred one. LOL.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Is there a preferred Inspire amp?
Depends on what you want. For me, I really like the MB12s I have because they look cool and having completely separate power supplies is nice. I also like them because they can roll a ton of different rectifiers, a nice variety of input tubes, and a very large number of output tubes (all pentodes, of course).

But, for tube rollers, there's one big advantage the single chassis Inspire amps have - there's only 1 rectifier and only 1 input tube. My setup has 2 rectifiers and 2 input tubes. So it's twice as expensive for me to roll input tubes or rectifiers because if need 2 instead of 1. If you buy a lot of tubes, that adds up.

I do think the pentode designs probably sound more alike than different, and I've not heard his 45 or 300b designs. The 45 is an excellent sounding tube, so I have no doubt the Inspire 45 is a great sounding amp.

You also need to look at your power requirements. If you can get by with 2 watts, then the 45 is the way to go. 6 watts go with the 300b. 12 watts, go with the Single Ended Pentode that can use a KT88, 6550 or KT88. Need more power, then go with the Single Ended Parallel design, I think that ones good for over 20 watts.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Depends on what you want. For me, I really like the MB12s I have because they look cool and having completely separate power supplies is nice. I also like them because they can roll a ton of different rectifiers, a nice variety of input tubes, and a very large number of output tubes (all pentodes, of course).

But, for tube rollers, there's one big advantage the single chassis Inspire amps have - there's only 1 rectifier and only 1 input tube. My setup has 2 rectifiers and 2 input tubes. So it's twice as expensive for me to roll input tubes or rectifiers because if need 2 instead of 1. If you buy a lot of tubes, that adds up.

I do think the pentode designs probably sound more alike than different, and I've not heard his 45 or 300b designs. The 45 is an excellent sounding tube, so I have no doubt the Inspire 45 is a great sounding amp.

You also need to look at your power requirements. If you can get by with 2 watts, then the 45 is the way to go. 6 watts go with the 300b. 12 watts, go with the Single Ended Pentode that can use a KT88, 6550 or KT88. Need more power, then go with the Single Ended Parallel design, I think that ones good for over 20 watts.
Tyson.....thanks so much for the detailed response. I’ve always had the itching for an SET amp but never pulled the trigger. Maybe one day.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
The “next one” coming out is the preferred one. LOL.
There's a certain truth to that on a number of levels. When you spend time around Dennis, you'll soon find out that he is always excited about whatever project is under development. This excitement is contagious. It's one of the reasons for his success. That rolls in with an old amp builders joke, which he has shared with me more than once.

Question to the amp builder - What's the best amp you've ever built?

Amp builder points to his work bench - That one!

The Inspire shop is a place of continuous change and improvement. Unlike a larger commercial shop like places that start with a C and end with a Y, it's possible that every amp can be built with personal touches requested by the customer, and every amp can be slightly different depending on what current design improvements are being explored.

So on one hand, when you get to listen to a lot of the iterations as they come out, you notice that the sound is getting better, but it's in small steps. However, when you go back and listen to an older amp, the difference is much more noticeable. For example on Friday, we compared the Model 19 to an older 45 Fire Bottle and a newer 300B. The Model 19 threw a much bigger sound stage and was more precise in it's presentation. In all honesty, I liked the 45 amp better than the 300B, but that's personal preference based on the inherent sound characteristics of the tubes themselves, and that the 45's were NOS, while the 300Bs were new manufacture.

Part of what people need to realize is that the ideal perfect amplifier would do nothing except let the pure sound of the tube shine through, without adding anything of it's own. In general, Inspire amps do this well, and it then falls upon the listener/customer to decide what tubes they like and if the triode or pentode sound is more pleasing to their ear. That being said, the flexibility of Dennis' pentode amps in allowing the listener to change output tubes, rectifiers and driver tubes is unmatched in the marketplace.

Despite all this waffling and audio babble, the new Model 19 is a significant jump in the Inspire line, and should please any single ended fan with it's dynamics, tonal richness and sound stage that seemingly projects beyond the back wall.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Picture of inspire lp-3a preamp

Dear AA ,I was looking at your pictures of the new Inspire amps and preamp and it looks like the preamp is an LP-3a,but it seems to have more tubes,is it a special edition.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 PM

As long as new buyers know this going into it - it's fair game. And, everyone can appreciate the time, energy, and passion that goes into continuous improvement and the sheer desire of making audio a better place for all of us.

As we all well know, many of us don't have the luxury to just "go over to Dennis' place" and listen or compare the new version to prior versions so we kinda live vicariously through those of you who do and the updates you provide us all. Provided the updates are objective and transparent, its a big help to those who have to read it about it on these forums instead. So, Thanks for the updates.

Makes for a good 2nd hand market too, knowing some will chase the next version and sell their old one to get the "next" one coming out. ALL in GOOD FUN

Several Key Points in your update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post

.."The Inspire shop is a place of continuous change and improvement."...

...So on one hand, when you get to listen to a lot of the iterations as they come out, you notice that the sound is getting better, but it's in small steps.

... For example on Friday, we compared the Model 19 to an older 45 Fire Bottle and a newer 300B. The Model 19 threw a much bigger sound stage and was more precise in it's presentation.
Despite all this waffling and audio babble, the new Model 19 is a significant jump in the Inspire line, and should please any single ended fan with it's dynamics, tonal richness and sound stage that seemingly projects beyond the back wall.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Anyone seen the Inspire 300b Dennis has on eBay right now?
Yes, looks like a conservative design. If I had some spare change....
Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
The preamp is a "3.1" using a pair of 6SN7s and a 6BX7 as a buffer/cathode follower.
I am currently using the Lp-27a with the inspire 45 set amp. would it be an Improvement switching to the 3.1 with the 6sn7’s
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 PM

Hmmm, not exactly the same but that new 3.1 design kinda reminds me a bit of the SLP98 sitting right in front of me now, two 6SN7 line stage and two 6SN7 cathode buffer followers. With four Sylvania NOS tubes in it, sounds grrrrreeeat!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:33 AM

In the A/V world, a piece of equipment named 3.1 sounds to me like a 3 channel with subwoofer out device. L/C/R with sub. 3.1