AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Just received a new pair of Polk speakers today.

Thanks for the review, which also confirms my opinion about my 707. No matter what price tag Polk gives to them, their performance is not very impressive when playing music. That’s why I use mine in my HT system only.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Sounds like you gave the Polks a very fair shake and they came up short against the Bostons. Do you have any other speakers lined up to go against the Bostons or are you staying with the T1000's?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
Thanks for the review, which also confirms my opinion about my 707. No matter what price tag Polk gives to them, their performance is not very impressive when playing music. That’s why I use mine in my HT system only.
In all frankness, the RTiA series is far superior in my humble opinion.

While some have criticized them for being overly "bright" but that has not been my experience - at least not with classical which doesn't have a lot of upper frequency emphasis to begin with.

Even with music high in upper frequency content, it's still not objectionable to my ears. If it ever is, a slight attenuation of the C32's 10kHz control is all it takes to tame things down when needed, which is seldom necessary.

I think you would be far more pleased with either the RTiA7 or RTiA9 (if you have a good high power amplifier). The hundreds of reviews the RTiA7 & RTi9 have received have been overwhelmingly positive, FWIW.

Last edited by 62caddy; 01-14-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser View Post
Sounds like you gave the Polks a very fair shake and they came up short against the Bostons. Do you have any other speakers lined up to go against the Bostons or are you staying with the T1000's?
Not at the present time. I wasn't even looking to upgrade the Bostons but the deal being offered by Audorama on the LSiM705 was simply too good to resist - at $1,200/pr delivered. Original MSRP was $3,500. The flagship LSiM707, was being offered for $1,600/pr which has MSRP of $4,000.

What's interesting is the A7 and A9 were never offered with such deep discounts which makes one wonder...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 PM

My first entry into $$$ speakers were the Polk RT20p in 1994 when Matthew Polk still owned the company. I was very pleased with their performance with a B&O receiver. I handed them down to my son and are still in service
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Sorry they didn't work out for you. I made a similar mistake, way back when I was just venturing into speakers, with their LSi15 - the analogous model of the prior Polk "premium" line. Trying to enjoy music on them was...frustrating. Even the LSi9 monitors were much better, I think. And the larger LSi25 managed to sound really good for a demo of "Riders on the Storm" in the showroom. But the LSi15 - I believe those were only good for HT. Got stuck with 'em and mercifully managed to sell 'em (for a big loss) after a long while.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Sorry they didn't work out for you. I made a similar mistake, way back when I was just venturing into speakers, with their LSi15 - the analogous model of the prior Polk "premium" line. Trying to enjoy music on them was...frustrating. Even the LSi9 monitors were much better, I think. And the larger LSi25 managed to sound really good for a demo of "Riders on the Storm" in the showroom. But the LSi15 - I believe those were only good for HT. Got stuck with 'em and mercifully managed to sell 'em (for a big loss) after a long while.
Interesting you mention that because years ago when I was originally considering between the RTiA series and the LSi15, a member on another forum warned me off the LSi15 saying he thought "they sounded as if covered by a wet blanket".

The only difference between the LSi15 and LSi25 is the woofer is self powered on the latter. The mid/upper frequency drivers are otherwise identical along with sharing the same cabinets.

Supposedly the RTi line was marketed to the HT audience, hence the designation "Reference Theater integrated" while the LSi series was primarily intended for music reproduction. (I don't recall what "LSi" signified). I very much enjoy the RTiA7 and RTiA9 for music myself.

If I ever seriously consider upgrading again, Audio Classics has some Legacy speakers that performed quite well in the short time I spent listening to them.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 AM

After Matthew Polk sold the company it has not been the same nor has the quality been what it was.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
After Matthew Polk sold the company it has not been the same nor has the quality been what it was.
Agreed; I bought a pair of brand new rt1000 speakers a few years back and I was underwhelmed with that model. But my much older (27 years) Polk SDA's are still the best sounding speakers I've ever owned. Sad to see yet another American company go down the tubes.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM

The RTiA9 is a great performing speaker for the money. It can produce thunderous, powerful bass and will accept huge amounts of power with ease.

The smaller brother RTiA7 is another great one for the money.