AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-22-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Am thinking of asking Dennis Had to build me a pair of EL34 PP monoblocks. Sort of an SLI-80 split in half. Used a pair of his 20wpc CAD-572SE monoblocks, which were terrific sounding. However, couldn't afford to keep them running as the 572 tube would only last about 8-900yr before frying.
Came close myself last year. Sold my Inspire Hot Rod KT150 stereo amp with the serious intent to have him build me a pair of KT150 Monos that could also use EL34s. We never came to agreeable terms on it. I'm a big EL34 fan too, particularly for the tone. My big V12R has twelve of them! And, I liked my former SLI-80 after upgrades but wanted a little more iron. I get what you are thinking... For the Inspire You might reach out to Straightwire or Analog Addict, there were four sets of mono chassis stamped out on those monos they built last year. Inquired and was unsuccessful getting an update on the sound particulars in comparison to other Inspire amps.

On a different track, I do have an option for two different local builders to build up a pair of KT120 monos. Hmmm, maybe we could get two pairs going with some upgrades if we did it together around the same time. I'd like to specify my own caps, tubes, and such. If I went for another set of amps, I might go for KT88 monos with Gold Lyons in it. Had those in my SLI-80, and with more iron with a few more changes, that might have been the ticket. Hence, the new SLI-100. If you want El34s, there is a used pair of Cary Six Pacs for sale if interested, can put you in touch with the seller, if they are still available. I'm continuing to explore monos too, waiting for the right situation to present itself. Nothing yet. Thanks. Msg me on this forum if interested.

Last edited by decooney; 01-22-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 PM
Retired

Thanks for the offer, but I'm likely not to do anything on this until next fall. Too many irons in the fire on things I'm making little headway on at the moment. BTW - at your member level I'm unable to private message you, but will see about touching base with Straightwire & Analog Addict. If the chassis would work, would at least like to get them purchased or on hold. They are my biggest stumbling block in getting started.

Back to cartridges, the Dynavector XX-2 Mk II looks pretty interesting. Always need another cartridge.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm likely not to do anything on this until next fall. Too many irons in the fire on things I'm making little headway on at the moment. BTW - at your member level I'm unable to private message you, but will see about touching base with Straightwire & Analog Addict. If the chassis would work, would at least like to get them purchased or on hold. They are my biggest stumbling block in getting started.

Back to cartridges, the Dynavector XX-2 Mk II looks pretty interesting. Always need another cartridge.
Will look to see if I can reply on msg. Just saw something.

Yes, back to cartridges, I may dig out my turntable later on this month and likely to sell off the DV30 to help pay for stylus repair on the 20B and some rack changes so I have a place to locate the turntable soon. Thanks!

Last edited by decooney; 01-24-2019 at 11:13 AM.