AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-14-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
IIRC, the terminations on the Shunyata Alpha and Sigma USB cables are gold-plated, so you don't need to worry about odixation, as gold does not oxidize.
Thanks.
Is it ok to use deoxit gold , if the pin is dirty ?
Old 06-14-2020, 02:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat.1 View Post
Thanks.
Is it ok to use deoxit gold , if the pin is dirty ?
Not sure what "pin" you are referring to...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Not sure what "pin" you are referring to...
There is 4 pin Inside USB A and USB B.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:09 AM

isopropyl alcohol as cleaner for contacts usually.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
isopropyl alcohol as cleaner for contacts usually.
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Isopropyl alcohol is only effective for aliphatic substances or contaminants.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it...life's too short. Listen to music instead.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 AM

i today received a Sigma cable. For the previous week I have been using a loaner from the store, an Alpha USB cable.

antipodes feeds a DAVE and then into bi-amplified JBL 4344 - relatively high resolution i think.

the Alpha replaced a FTA Callisto.

Both Shunyata cables make it clear that the FTA Callisto has a fair bit of colour. Not that this is a terrible thing. But this helps to relay the Shunyata sound with USB, it sounds neutral.

The Alpha is burnt in I guess but didn't have enough time to settle. Similarly I've only just heard Sigma today. Sigma brand new.

So one week with loaner Alpha and one afternoon with brand new Sigma. Impressions:
1. Alpha amazing but a little soft or reticent
2. FTA Callisto is a superhuman performer for the price and is alot of fun too. It definitely blooms bass a bit though and is euphonic or something (sounds shimmer a bit). So nice
3. Shunyata's thing is purity (no noise). To my ears more "no noise" is always better. Especially it needs to cross a specific threshold for me, to make up for the lack of artificial "spice". Say this is a specific threshold which is the threshold at which dynamics strongly improve. I feel like the Alpha was for me enchanting in its tonal trueness and sheer information density, but a little dull. I think it lacks dynamic a little. The Sigma on other hand does have dynamics in spades and the sound stage and 3d. sigma tone/timbre were more clearly described than Alpha. and IME to a meaningful degree. this may correspond to the fact that for me, the USB cable location is subject to wifi as well as normal signal and power transmission issues (zero cable management too).

the realism of the Sigma is at 11 and this makes it super interesting to listen to. the Alpha was fun to listen to (i've been waiting ages to get my hands on these usb cables) and the bass was incomparably more resolved and clear. in fact, if one were to like bass, and one bought a different amp for its prodigious bass capabilities, if this is what you heard, you'd be over the moon. I have never heard bass like i did thru the alpha USB (until i heard Sigma). Sigma not night and day better in bass department than Alpha I reckon. better but not really different for all intents and purposes. but Alpha versus any other cable I've heard before. no comparison. amazing.

it seems weird to spend $4k (AUD) on a USB cord but it was the only rational thing to do given the upgrade in overall system performance on offer.

honest
Old 06-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Also have added a new Sigma USB to my system replacing an Audioquest Diamond.

Being familiar with Shunyata cables, I was expecting certain changes and this cable did not disappoint. There is more of a 3d soundstage and realism to the music. As many others have stated, bass is more profound as well.

Definitely a positive upgrade.

Edward
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 06-29-2020, 12:02 AM

i wanted to come back and attest to the substantial change that has occurred since my initial listening with the Sigma USB cable.

perhaps my system was bedding in a bit (i did add some new rca cables to the bass amplifier at same time as i installed the Sigma) or perhaps the Sigma cable which had just been imported in from the US needed time to settle (an actual process Caelin describes as requiring something like a week).

It is much better now than when it was first installed. It was extremely good when first installed but not sublime at all. It is now sort of mind bending and exquisite. Nothing seems to be adulterated. It is not bright or etchy in any way. It is dynamic when it needs to be. The noise is all gone. It sounds amazing and I'd highly recommend people try it out.