AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Analog Pressings

Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Something to consider SL. Your issue sounds more like overload of the phono. The Mac phonos don't handle loud passages well with medium output MC carts. Correct me if I'm wrong but yours looks to be 0.8mV. Need to plan on a preamp that can handle 10x this for any cart which would be 8mV for you. Your Mac phono tops out at 5mV so you will get distortion on ceartain loud passages.

I have a similar problem with Mac phono and a Blackbird cart (0.7mV).

Well I won’t be able to test that. My VAS cartridge got trashed but the new models I’m looking into have a output around .5mv so maybe one of those will be better.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:00 PM

Old thread...but I am catching up. What I have noticed lately in the Jazz albums I purchase are scratch or crunch like sounds that cover a song or two on one side. Most annoying though are albums that are either stamped off centre, or the centre hole is out...resulting in the tonearm moving back and forth with audible wow. Becoming rather common...to the point where I have been doing more CD and High Rez downloads lately.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM

Yeah ... I’ve pretty much limited buying new to sources I’m familiar with and used records from ages ago. Very disappointing to say the least. Hopefully this will get corrected as some point but in the mean time let’s look at the bright side ... we have plenty of wall art!

George
Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM

I typically don't buy any pressing until I have first read some reviews on discogs or stevehoffman. There are only a handful of labels that have earned my trust with consistent quality.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I typically don't buy any pressing until I have first read some reviews on discogs or stevehoffman. There are only a handful of labels that have earned my trust with consistent quality.
The problem though is that it happens with many quality labels. ECM forJazz has even had the odd issue. Makes purchases feel risky
Old 12-31-2018, 12:48 AM

Well ... opened up and played the new Mark Knopfler album today. Was relieved to find a very quiet pressing.

George
Old 12-31-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post
The problem though is that it happens with many quality labels. ECM forJazz has even had the odd issue. Makes purchases feel risky
Ya, it's true. Even the best labels can have the occasional issue. Unless it is a limited edition that will sell out quickly, I like to wait for reviews even with the best labels. Amazon is awesome when it come to exchanges. It is a bit trickier when I import something directly from Europe and I get a flawed pressing...
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Over the last couple of years I've pretty much limited my vinyl purchases to labels like MOFI, Analogue Productions, Classic Records, Speakers Corner, etc. I've had pretty good success with them.

The thing about Amazon, while they have a fantastic exchange policy, is that they don't usually provide too much info on label and pressing. I've had to do my homework with them on that.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
Definitely have to do your homework, although I’ve also had issues with a few of the more respected pressing plants as well ... I guess it’s a demand vs availability issue more than anything else.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
Well I won’t be able to test that. My VAS cartridge got trashed but the new models I’m looking into have a output around .5mv so maybe one of those will be better.
How'd your new cartridge do?
I was looking at a Mc MT5 turntable, and I heard so much distortion in a certain a cappella record the store uses to demo tables and it turned me off of the turntable altogether.
The store didn't have a dedicated Mc Phono preamp.