AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 07-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I've got about 300 early CDs that I no longer play. They are just too badly recorded and trying to tweak my system to make them playable would be a waste as each one needs its own 'tweaks'. If it is worth having I replace it with a modern recording that has been done well. Or, get the vinyl.
Three hundred? Wow. I'm afraid to ask how many CDs you have overall!

One of the issues, to me, is that different components have different sounds. My Pioneer BDP-09FD blu-ray player sounds absolutely beautiful; it uses Wolfson DACs. My MCD500 uses ESS Sabre DACs, and that's the difference; I'm not that big a fan of ESS chips, because I've found them to have a less rich sound in my setup. A tube swap would be to help the MCD500 with those bright CDs. The JJs mentioned earlier are already in house and I used them for over a year with pleasure, until the curiosity bug bit me and I started messing with other tubes. Another option is to turn down the treble just enough to remove some of the edge when playing trouble CDs.

Still, you have a point. This shouldn't be allowed to turn into a massive distraction. There are enough distractions in my life already.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Retired

Started puchasing CDs when they were providing "perfect sound" in '84. Since the turn of the century I probably haven't purchased more than 4 or 5 a year and almost all of them are SACDs. I have around 900 taking up space. Attempted to sell them (less the SACDs) as a lot recently. Zero interest from used media shops. Don't think I've purchased a CD/SACD in at least 3yr.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Started puchasing CDs when they were providing "perfect sound" in '84. Since the turn of the century I probably haven't purchased more than 4 or 5 a year and almost all of them are SACDs. I have around 900 taking up space. Attempted to sell them (less the SACDs) as a lot recently. Zero interest from used media shops. Don't think I've purchased a CD/SACD in at least 3yr.
The shops don't sell many of the ones they have, perhaps. It's either vinyl or streaming now, maybe downloads. I bought my first CD in 1986, same year I bought my first CD player (a $180 JVC). I still have that CD, and it still serves as an audition/test disc. Tower Records was my friend, as was J&R Music World.

I'd also thought about trying the MC section of my C2300, which has regular JJ tubes, as opposed to the Hi-Performance gold ones I used before. My cart is a Grado Sonata 3 Timbre, and low output. Maybe the MC circuit compensates for the low output and will play at similar levels to the linestage. Using the MM section, I have to turn up the volume much more than when I used a legit MM cartridge there. If the volume is nice, then I'd swap the tubes in the MM and MC slots.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 08-02-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 PM

CDs are still pretty popular at the record shops I go to, I even pick up new ones from time to time, generally things like odd compilations of rare 45s and things like that. Even the new ones are pretty cheap, I got a bunch of R&B Christmas CDs last December.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:27 PM
Retired

If I had any Xmas CDs I would send them to you.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-30-2021, 05:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

I was wondering. It's supposedly beneficial to interconnects if you disconnect and reconnect them periodically, as a way of cleaning the connectors. Would that apply to tubes as well? Of course this tactic's a lot more trouble with tubes than with interconnects (depending upon the equipment's architecture), but I was curious. Does anyone here do that?