AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
I have had an MS300 and now have 3 MS750's. I also have numerous other music server alternatives including SONOS, Apple, and Windows based systems. We can talk about the pros and cons of all of these systems but none are the "dream solution". We all have different expectations. I think the key to which is best is which do I use most. By far and away, I use the MS750 more than the others. The main one can see the others easily, the various network players can see it, digitizing the music is easy enough, backups are easy enough, and there seems to be plenty of room. 800 CD's take up less than half of the 750gb.
I would suggest having a spare hard drive with the operating system on it and a spare CDRW. There is no reason to expect that these shouldn't last another 5 years. By then there will be something else out there. Remember, 80% of what we will be using in 10 years isn't even invented yet.
I have found that it is easy to get caught up in the upgrade fever and lose track of what this is all about, listening to and enjoying the music. So rather than worry about what may happen if the MS750 dies, enjoy the music. I will bet it can either be fixed or a good solution can be found when the time comes. Thanks, Larry

Larry.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
I have had an MS300 and now have 3 MS750's. I also have numerous other music server alternatives including SONOS, Apple, and Windows based systems. We can talk about the pros and cons of all of these systems but none are the "dream solution". We all have different expectations. I think the key to which is best is which do I use most. By far and away, I use the MS750 more than the others. The main one can see the others easily, the various network players can see it, digitizing the music is easy enough, backups are easy enough, and there seems to be plenty of room. 800 CD's take up less than half of the 750gb.
I would suggest having a spare hard drive with the operating system on it and a spare CDRW. There is no reason to expect that these shouldn't last another 5 years. By then there will be something else out there. Remember, 80% of what we will be using in 10 years isn't even invented yet.
I have found that it is easy to get caught up in the upgrade fever and lose track of what this is all about, listening to and enjoying the music. So rather than worry about what may happen if the MS750 dies, enjoy the music. I will bet it can either be fixed or a good solution can be found when the time comes. Thanks, Larry
Having Apple iTunes via Aiport Express & Apple TV, Sonos, and the McIntosh Music Server MS300/750.

I endorse your response that none of these are dream systems, and your wisdom of "80% of what we will be using in 10 years isn't even invented yet."

I had a spare HD for the MSXXX and never needed it. It's advantages are many, but it's biggest drawback is getting to playlists or artists quickly. Sonos and Apple Airplay based systems are leaders in this area. Still, It had great fidelity.

The king of all music servers for high resolution audio via server is still Meridian. The Focus and Swim features access your music or the Rhapsody music service like none other. Sadly, its price was my limiting factor and one can purchase several Sonos Connects/Play devices and a large RAID Storage system for whole house sound.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 03-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM

From my standpoint, I think the issue is if/when something dies - how do I fix it. Boxing it up and sending it off to some company that may or may not support it down the road sounds like a less than ideal plan......

-michael
Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfirst View Post
From my standpoint, I think the issue is if/when something dies - how do I fix it. Boxing it up and sending it off to some company that may or may not support it down the road sounds like a less than ideal plan......

-michael
Well, right now its a yes for support, and McIntosh does promise unlimited support for everything they produced/sold. Boxing it up and sending it off for repair is a fact of life, Mcintosh or any other brand. The MS750 is not for you.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Well, right now its a yes for support, and McIntosh does promise unlimited support for everything they produced/sold. Boxing it up and sending it off for repair is a fact of life, Mcintosh or any other brand. The MS750 is not for you.

+1
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM

While I do enjoy my MS750 - and you may be right. I started to type a response about my thoughts on this topic, but the debate will be one of opinions and I dont want to sound like I am picking a fight. More, if there is a problem, I just want to be able to try and fix it myself. I agree with Larry's post - and I want to be able to enjoy it for years to come - just looking to get the most out of my investment and learn.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
While I do enjoy my MS750 - and you may be right. I started to type a response about my thoughts on this topic, but the debate will be one of opinions and I dont want to sound like I am picking a fight. More, if there is a problem, I just want to be able to try and fix it myself. I agree with Larry's post - and I want to be able to enjoy it for years to come - just looking to get the most out of my investment and learn.
Ha, thats why we are here. Everyone wants to get the most out of their investments.

The server/jukebox market is constantly changing. Its almost impossible to get a level of satisfaction with out some one creating an even better solution.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 03-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Michael.......The two moving components in the MS750 that will eventually fail are the transport (Sony CRX230EE-B2 IDE CD-RW Drive) and the hard drive (Seagate 750GB DB35 IDE). Besides having these two internal components available, you will also need a copy of the McIntosh MS750 operating system and the instructions for installing the OS software. I believe there may be a few members who have this disc and the instructions. Perhaps a member will PM you.

There is also a known issue with the power supply on the MSxxx servers. I think it is a capacitor that fails causing the hard drive to skip data or not boot. Other than that, there have been few issues related to the many thousand of MS300 and MS750 music servers in service. Hopefully yours will last for many trouble free years of enjoyment. My MS750 has continued to work perfectly after four years of daily use.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post

I talked to sharon butt from mac 2 days ago and she said no support for ms300/750.need to send them to panurgy.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

cnguyen777.......This is not new news. Escient was the provider of service for McIntosh on the MS300 and MS750 before going out of business. Panurgy is now the service provider for the MS300 and MS750 music servers. It has been like this for years.