AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Hometown Section

Hometown Section Local Music Events, Get Togethers & Visits

Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 PM

And yet more pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3689.jpg (95.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (93.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3692.jpg (35.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3694.jpg (90.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3696.jpg (66.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3697.jpg (30.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3699.jpg (87.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3701.jpg (90.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3704.jpg (88.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the pictures!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
My best in show mentions would have to include: Totem speakers driven by MBL. Incredible for their size, and unbelievable even being in a big double-room/suite. No audio treatments in room. All 3 people in my party were in different locations and left with the same impression. Three people who were not familiar with the brand left with the opinion that we would all seriously consider it for purchase. Merci, sir, merci.

Rick U I hope the Dirac does it for you...
I have to agree that the Totem were the best of the show for me as well. I had never heard of them and this was my first experience. I was just blown away. For $14,000 retail, they sounded better than some of the $100K+ speakers (at least to me). I will seriously take a closer look at Totum if I ever decide to upgrade.

And I was impressed with the Dirac software! I actually believe in room treatments and frown upon any equalization, but the Dirac software loaded on the PC sounded wonderful! Of course, my mileage will vary in my own listening space, but I will take their 2-week trial offer and install it at home.

Another gem at the show was the KEF LS50 speakers. WOW! Amazing sound from such small speakers without a sub. $1,500 retail is an outstanding price point.

And the biggest surprise of the show (for me) was the Pioneer room! Yup, the cheap stuff. Their bookshelf speakers sounded great! Everyone in the room would say "ya, they sound good" and then they're eyes would light up in disbelief when they were told the retail price of $129!!!!! Absolutely incredible at that price. They sounded like $500-$700 pair of speakers. And Walmart has them for $78!!!!! I actually ordered a pair today and have no place to put them (maybe get rid of the Tivoli in the bathroom?), but just have to own a pair. I'll have to make room in the bedroom.

The show was bigger than I had anticipated. Purchased some CD's, SACD's, Blu-Rays, etc. Another highlight was meeting Ron-C of McIntosh. Finally nice to put a face next to all those posts. Very nice and personable guy! Wish I had gone for more than one day. Will definitely go back next year.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the photos and notes.

In size, how does it compare to RMAF?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Part of the reason those Pioneer's sounded so good was because Andrew Jones of TAD had a hand in their design and voicing...amazing price point for something he has touched.

I agree those KEF's were pretty amazing as was the Totem room although the Totem room has sounded good to me every year at this show. Underrated in my opinion.

Here's a close up picture of the SF Olympica. I took the flick to show my wife the finish so it's not the best photo of the speaker but you can get an idea. Fit and finish is amazing as expected for SF. The new porting is an interesting concept, will see how it translates in setup.

image-1453045871.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDog View Post
I have to agree that the Totem were the best of the show for me as well. I had never heard of them and this was my first experience. I was just blown away. For $14,000 retail, they sounded better than some of the $100K+ speakers (at least to me). I will seriously take a closer look at Totum if I ever decide to upgrade.

And I was impressed with the Dirac software! I actually believe in room treatments and frown upon any equalization, but the Dirac software loaded on the PC sounded wonderful! Of course, my mileage will vary in my own listening space, but I will take their 2-week trial offer and install it at home.

Another gem at the show was the KEF LS50 speakers. WOW! Amazing sound from such small speakers without a sub. $1,500 retail is an outstanding price point.

And the biggest surprise of the show (for me) was the Pioneer room! Yup, the cheap stuff. Their bookshelf speakers sounded great! Everyone in the room would say "ya, they sound good" and then they're eyes would light up in disbelief when they were told the retail price of $129!!!!! Absolutely incredible at that price. They sounded like $500-$700 pair of speakers. And Walmart has them for $78!!!!! I actually ordered a pair today and have no place to put them (maybe get rid of the Tivoli in the bathroom?), but just have to own a pair. I'll have to make room in the bedroom.

The show was bigger than I had anticipated. Purchased some CD's, SACD's, Blu-Rays, etc. Another highlight was meeting Ron-C of McIntosh. Finally nice to put a face next to all those posts. Very nice and personable guy! Wish I had gone for more than one day. Will definitely go back next year.
I ordered a pair of those Pioneer bookshelf speakers for my kids to listen to in their den/listening room/TV and movie watching room over the holidays last year. I have them hooked up to an extremely inexpensive Sherwood receiver and I have to agree - they really do sound phenomenal for what little they cost!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Thanks for the photos and notes.

In size, how does it compare to RMAF?
The Newport show is the biggest audio consumer show in the country. (Of course I'm not counting CES because that is an Industry show) Attendance at the Newport show is 2.5 times more than RMAF. Vendor wise it is bigger but I don't have an actual stat.