AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerapaneni View Post
I just got my amps and listening g to the first song now. . They came with green boards. The problem I see is that the wires which pass from between the tubes is touching one of the tubes and already melted . The amp I returned had the same issue and it melted the wire and exposed the copper cable. I just adjusted it for now but over the period, it will touch the tubes again.

Any suggestions?
And what did you expect for just € 42,600? .......
The solution is to buy the new Ref 250 SE Special Luxury MKII , the problem is solved.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
And what did you expect for just € 42,600? .......
The solution is to buy the new Ref 250 SE Special Luxury MKII , the problem is solved.
It is somewhat disappointing.

I take it the MKII sports an extra inch of cable for just $5000 more !!!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

It is somewhat disappointing.

I take it the MKII sports an extra inch of cable for just $5000 more !!!
It does appear that with the galileo line, ARC has finally taken design, fit n finish much more seriously. I'd like to see it trickle into the reference line, you'd think it would START there...
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
It does appear that with the galileo line, ARC has finally taken design, fit n finish much more seriously. I'd like to see it trickle into the reference line, you'd think it would START there...
Pardon me, but that is unwarranted BS. I doubt you're putting that tripe in your ad to sell a REF75. ARC is a bedrock high-end company and has been so for many years with a top notch reputation that predates WZJ's sale of his company.

Imo, V's dealer should have vetted his replacement amps after the initial situation. And that is where the problem should get resolved.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post

Pardon me, but that is unwarranted BS. I doubt you're putting that tripe in your ad to sell a REF75. ARC is a bedrock high-end company and has been so for many years with a top notch reputation that predates WZJ's sale of his company.

Imo, V's dealer should have vetted his replacement amps after the initial situation. And that is where the problem should get resolved.
Dude, I'm a huge arc fan! The sound quality is beyond reproach. But the chassis is basically a cheap box with a nice thick faceplate. Not a cutting edge design by any measure.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Dude, I'm a huge arc fan! The sound quality is beyond reproach. But the chassis is basically a cheap box with a nice thick faceplate. Not a cutting edge design by any measure.
I had the 250s in my system and found them to be one of the best amps in their class, sonically and in terms of usability and build quality.

If you don't have direct experience handling and using the REF250s in your system then you're commenting based on hearsay. Sadly, Web forums are full of that sort of "experience" without credibility. I try to hold to a standard, and encourage my fellow forum users to hold to a standard of not issuing critical or derogatory comments about products without genuine experience in fact. It's the least we can do to show respect to manufacturers, product owners, and people who come here seeking honest advice.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I had the 250s in my system and found them to be one of the best amps in their class, sonically and in terms of usability and build quality.

If you don't have direct experience handling and using the REF250s in your system then you're commenting based on hearsay. Sadly, Web forums are full of that sort of "experience" without credibility. I try to hold to a standard, and encourage my fellow forum users to hold to a standard of not issuing critical or derogatory comments about products without genuine experience in fact. It's the least we can do to show respect to manufacturers, product owners, and people who come here seeking honest advice.
I own a Ref75. Same exact chassis design. I guess we just disagree on the quality of that chassis design, including the decision to put wires between tubes without guides, where they can touch the tubes and make them melt. If you want to defend that decision, by all means proceed.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
I own a Ref75. Same exact chassis design. I guess we just disagree on the quality of that chassis design, including the decision to put wires between tubes without guides, where they can touch the tubes and make them melt. If you want to defend that decision, by all means proceed.
That's what I thought - you have zero experience with the REF 250 and it is "basically a cheap box with a nice thick faceplate" - the "same exact chassis design" (whatever that is) as your REF75. Okay, that's enough information to understand your context.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Well, I have to disagree. ARC design is mostly practical/functional with unnecessary blingbling missing. Besides that "cheap box" is most likely the single most expensive component of any amp besides transformers.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:10 AM

If I may play Devils Advocate on this one.

We're Marc to have used the word 'Simple' as apposed to 'Cheap' then I would for my part pretty much agree with his considerations of both the Reference and Galileo lines.

Having had for a time an demo GS-150 directly adjacent to my own incumbant Ref-150 one could not help but notice the 'evolution' in terms of materials and finish with regard to the main chassis of the two amplifiers, and whilst the metered face plates on the 75 and 250's are IMHO much more appealing compared to the somewhat utilitarian facia of the 150, I found the finish and the design of the GS-150 facia to be exceedingly Pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by Harlequin; 12-07-2015 at 01:44 PM.