AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
AeroSmith...if your friend/dealer is an authorized Wilson dealer (as it sounds he is), you should let him follow the Wilson set-up protocol for both speakers (not just the Maxxs) as both speakers will benefit from precise placement to get the best out of them. Enjoy both systems. So the PH6, Lyra Delos, Rega P9, ARC DAC 8, Boulder pre, and ARC DS450 will be in the Maxx rig in the game room? Which system will you be doing your prime 2-channel listening in? I am assuming the Maxx system.

He is an Authorized dealer for sure (dealer of the year in 2008 I believe). And I have every intention of letting him voice the two systems in properly. Though it is tempting to get the Soph3s hooked up. If I do I'll be sure to leave them on their casters.

MAXX3s, yes: PH6, P9/Delos, DAC7, Esoteric UX-1, Boulder 810, DS450 (still waiting on the DAC8s). This will be my prime 2-chanel system for sure. Though my late night chill out system is usually the family room system (DSi200) or the system in the bedroom (P7 and Boulder and D2s).

Of course you know, the MAXX4 realease must be just around the corner....
Old 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSmith View Post
Of course you know, the MAXX4 realease must be just around the corner....
Give the Maxx 3's at least 3-months for proper break-in before you replace it with the Maxx 4's . Enjoy AeroSmith. You are going to have a lot of fun with the new Wilsons.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Give the Maxx 3's at least 3-months for proper break-in before you replace it with the Maxx 4's . Enjoy AeroSmith. You are going to have a lot of fun with the new Wilsons.
LOL, thanks. The MAXX3s are going to become part of the house. They're not going anywhere any time soon. But you have to figure if my friend is selling his demo MAXX3s that he's anticipating something.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Perhaps. He may also have found that the bulk of his sales naturally are at the Sophia 3 and Sasha level and that he may be able to free up some working capital to buy other demo equipment that customers are seeking and that he does not have currently in his store. When did the Maxx 3's come out? There seems to be a 4-year cycle to the speaker upgrades in the Wilson line. So if i remember the Maxx 3s came out in 2007/2008 some time, which would mean a newer model in the 2011/2012 time frame. Pure speculation on my part...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Perhaps. He may also have found that the bulk of his sales naturally are at the Sophia 3 and Sasha level and that he may be able to free up some working capital to buy other demo equipment that customers are seeking and that he does not have currently in his store. When did the Maxx 3's come out? There seems to be a 4-year cycle to the speaker upgrades in the Wilson line. So if i remember the Maxx 3s came out in 2007/2008 some time, which would mean a newer model in the 2011/2012 time frame. Pure speculation on my part...
I actually think you've hit the nail on the head. And his rooms are much better suited to Sasha's and Sophia's. Not many rooms are well suited to the MAXX3s. Frankly it was the Sashas in his own home that sold me on the MAXX3s and the Soph3s.

Edit: The soundstaging and top to bottom clarity of the Sashas was startling to me. It was like being shaken out of a coma. It was at that point that Revels and ProAcs could no longer be considered adequate for my reference systems.

We also listened to Miles on the MAXX3s in a sub-optimal room at his shop. I have NEVER heard Miles' trumpet project into space as dynamically. It's like I was never really hearing it before. Now he was right in my face blowing his heart out.

EDIT2: The MAXX3s were being driven by a DSi200! They were blowing me away with that sweet little integrated.

Last edited by AeroSmith; 06-14-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Will a Sophia 2 or Sophia3 work in a room as small as 19 feet length x 16 feet wide x 9 feet ceiling ?
thanks for the inputs.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolitan777 View Post
Will a Sophia 2 or Sophia3 work in a room as small as 19 feet length x 16 feet wide x 9 feet ceiling ?
thanks for the inputs.
Yes, both of them should work very nicely in a room that size. You might even be able to place them on the long wall. They seem to handle near field listening very well.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSmith View Post
I actually think you've hit the nail on the head. And his rooms are much better suited to Sasha's and Sophia's. Not many rooms are well suited to the MAXX3s. Frankly it was the Sashas in his own home that sold me on the MAXX3s and the Soph3s.

With the multiple adjustments to driver alignment available on the Maxx 3's, it is possible that it could work better in some situations than even the Sasha's. My dealer has been pushing hard to get a demo pair into my room. He feels they might work very well in here.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Yes, both of them should work very nicely in a room that size. You might even be able to place them on the long wall. They seem to handle near field listening very well.
thanks for reply. I won't be able to do the long wall due to furniture arrangements.
Would like to ask, how far apart should the left & right speakers be ?
Will 7 feet apart be alright ? is more "apart" better ?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolitan777 View Post
thanks for reply. I won't be able to do the long wall due to furniture arrangements.
Would like to ask, how far apart should the left & right speakers be ?
Will 7 feet apart be alright ? is more "apart" better ?
I would follow Wilson's set-up procedure to set all spacing, that includes from the back and side walls as well as how far apart they will end up. Most people would say up to a point the wider part you can get them the better, but there are always limits.

For a quick example of how Wilson handles the set-up, check out the video that Deb (lildebs888) posted in the Wilson Forum under My Home Theater Post #53.
YouTube - Lildebs888's Channel