AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 PM

Default DACs for MACs?

My C1100 is set to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to get it integrated into my system. I'm beginning to research a DAC to add to my setup. I plan to connect via USB to a dedicated PC that I built for handling streaming. My natural thought was the D1100 that pairs with the C1100; but, it feels overpriced for something to be used as a DAC only (if you're a digital only home, I think it makes great sense as a digital-only preamp).

At the moment I'm using a Parasound ZDac so I'm not in a huge hurry; but, I want to know what I should be looking at.

Some options I'm considering:
  1. The D1100 - Just because it's expensive doesn't make it the wrong choice
  2. The D150 - People loved this thing last I checked and it's the same DAC chip as the D1100 for a fraction of the price.
  3. Schitt Yggdrasil - I've read amazing things about this one!
  4. What else?

I'd long considered going with an Oppo BDP-205 and using its DAC. Oppo had a stellar reputation for long-term support. Now that's over.

I'm a mac guy and I'm happy to pay for McIntosh quality. That said, McIntosh has a less than stellar reputation for digital and some of their products in the space feel woefully overpriced for what they actually are (consider that the MS500 is basically a low-end PC in a McIntosh case).

What DACs are people using with their McIntosh gear? Something from my list? Something else? What drove you to that particular DAC?

Last edited by jdandy; 08-07-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 PM

The Yggy seems like the real deal from every review I’ve read. Dan (Jdandy) gave it a glowing review as well. The only downside is current production lead times are around 8 weeks right now. If I wasn’t so emotionally connected to having something Linn in my system that is what I would have.
Sources: Linn Klimax DS, Kaleidescape Strato S Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Nova CII in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C1100, MX122 Power: PS Audio P10 Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber Palladian Power Cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects Misc: Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlets, Furutech Boosters

Last edited by McDaddy; 08-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaddy View Post
The Yggy seems like the real deal from every review I’ve read. Dan (Jdandy) gave it a glowing review as well. The only downside is current production lead times are around 8 weeks right now. If I wasn’t so emotionally connected to having something Linn in my system that is what I would have.
Dan's review was absolutely part of the the spark for me to even look outside of McIntosh for my DAC! But I've even heard great things about their lower-end DACs; Schitt seems like the real deal for digital across the board.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:54 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Brian.......I have owned McIntosh DAC's, specifically in the MCD500 and MCD1100, in fact I owned two of each model, one for the living room system and one for the studio system. I now own no McIntosh DAC's, although I remain a huge fan of McIntosh preamplifiers, amplifiers, and tuners. I replaced both MCD1100's with Esoteric K-03's, then replaced the K-03's with a K-01x that I use in the studio. In the living room system I now use the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (analog 2 version). It is a statement DAC in every sense that I don't see being replaced by anything. It plays extremely well in the living room system with my Simaudio MOON 260D transport, C2300 preamp and MC452 power amplifier.

The Yggdrasil DAC is sensational. The one thing to consider it is a PCM DAC and does not decode DSD. That doesn't concern me because I can play SACD's in the studio system with the Esoteric K-01x, but it is worth pointing out. The Yggy does PCM to 24Bit/192KHz, and makes every high-res file and CD I play through it sound like live performances. The $2399 price is astonishing for the level of performance it delivers. If the Yggdrasil DAC in its exact form was manufactured by MBL, Berkeley, Esoteric, or other ultra high-end DAC manufacturer the price point would be $12,000 or more. It is that good. Providing DSD is of no concern to you I can highly recommend the Yggdrasil DAC for your sound system. Don't let the price fool you. The Yggdrasil is a serious performer that will leave you speechless. I absolutely love the way mine sounds.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks, Dan! Your passion for the Yggdrasil certainly makes it an attractive option!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM

I have enjoyed a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, transport and P15 power regenerator, as well as a C2500/MC452 and find that combination "floats my boat". The PS Audio DAC is able to be improved with firmware updates; I have applied all of them since I bought the DAC and each and every one of them improves the sound quality.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 08-07-2018, 01:05 PM

I use the PS Audio DS DAC as well which I am very happy with. Ivan recommended it to me for my price range.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
My natural thought was the D1100 that pairs with the C1100; but, it feels overpriced for something to be used as a DAC only (if you're a digital only home, I think it makes great sense as a digital-only preamp).
The McIntosh D1100 is really good DAC. It meets the price fairly well. Better DACs are available, but they cost more. D1100 sounds really good with MCT450 CD/SACD transport. I haven't heard McIntosh D150, but I have read that C52 DAC is same than D150. D1100 DAC is better than C52 DAC.

Check also MSB Technology: http://www.msbtechnology.com. They make really good DACs and you can customize your system. You can upgrade your DAC later.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:44 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I"m using the D1100 and it's an great DAC. Expensive yes in todays DAC world, But amazing base, beautiful midrange, detailed and airy treble. With a huge soundstage.

Last edited by JBT; 08-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 PM

I am using the McIntosh D100 and very much enjoy it.

The D150 did add DSD codec processing so it is a step up from the D100.

The D100 is used as a DAC only in my system.