AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-20-2021, 06:33 PM
Life is beautiful

Jim, this thread is about all good classical recordings!
You have an astonishing collection, please keep on posting.

We are just poor streaming audiophiles, that's why we are posting all those new releases. (Although I do own quite a couple of older recordings, like the fantastic Living Stereo series, and the Decca Mono and Stereo boxes).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-20-2021, 06:35 PM
Life is beautiful

I've even been playing this - I admit, newer - set from time to time in moderate doses:

I assure you these are not modern recordings...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-20-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Since this thread is more about new Classical releases than older offerings, I will bow out graciously from further participation in this thread. Enjoy your quest my friends, as I enjoy my collection but do not desire to delve into the subtlety of newer offerings as you do.
Enjoy,
Jim

Jim, please keep posting, I enjoy seeing what you play. This is about sharing great recordings regardless of age, not just new ones. I especially enjoy learning about great earlier performances on vinyl, and in pre-Covid days enjoyed prowling my local used record shop. I have also in the past chased down copies of your plays on eBay and Discogs. We need the balance!
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Direct From Cleveland
Lorin Maazel
The Cleveland Orchestra
A D2D Masterpiece from Telarc via the Discwasher Group back in the day (1977)
Telarc 5020 DD1
Regards,
Jim

I remember that one but I have not heard it in decades. Makes me curious of how I would react to it today.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:16 PM
Life is beautiful

Johann Sebastian Bach - BWV ... or not?
Gli Incogniti
Amandine Beyer

Qobuz 24/88.2

Bach or not, this is a splendid album (played it today in the practice).

Bach (Johann Sebastian, that is) or not Bach? This is the question that the violinist Amandine Beyer and the ensemble Gli Incogniti asked themselves by seizing a handful of works long thought to be from the Kantor and that we now know to be from other composers—known, identified or not. Thus, the Sonata BWV 1024 may have “ended up” in Bach’s repertoire because a musicologist knew how to use the right scientific arguments (paper, copyists, geographical and historical contexts) to achieve his goal. The style of the composition, which admittedly is a bit reminiscent of Bach, cannot however quite fall in line with the musician’s writing style. Therefore, in order to avoid the sonata disappearing back into anonymity, it has now been attributed to Pisendel, rightly or wrongly. The Trio BWV 1036 is from Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach—we were always quite sure of that, even if some less scrupulous releases have omitted the first name… The Trio BWV 1037 seems to be from Goldberg (the one from the Variations). The Suite in A major BWV 1025 is of somewhat ambiguous paternity, but it’s actually an arrangement Bach created for violin and harpsichord using the Suite SC 47 for lute that his friend and colleague Silvius Leopold Weiss composed. These are a few works that, after long being in the paradise of being attributed to Bach, are now in the hell of the “fake”, even if it’s not the fault of the composers that wrote them! What a pity… © SM/Qobuz
Old 01-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Just got these in today. Had to add leader to both tapes and put sensing foil on them. Gave them a quick preview and they do sound very, very good.

Will give them the full treatment tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JS Bach.jpg (89.8 KB, 17 views)
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:15 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Symphony No. 3 in F Opus 90
Tragic Overtune in D minor Opus 81
Brahms
The Pittsburg Symphony
William Steinberg Cond.
Very solid presentation ans sonics. Recorded on 35mm magnetic film
Command Classics CC11015SD
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by ehoove; 01-23-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 AM
Life is beautiful

Romberg - Violin Concertos
Capriccio Barockorchester
Chouchane Siranossian

Qobuz 24/96

I asked my wife: "Which composer do you think this is?". "Mozart" she answered.
Indeed, this has a lot of the great master at times, but is a little bit different at other times.
It shows the quality of the music, if you can compare it to one of the greatest of all.
It never really reaches for 100% the finesse of Wolfgang though.
The splendid violinist - we've seen her live in Brugge - plays very well.
The recording is top notch.

Born in Lower Saxony just three years before Beethoven, the violinist Andreas Romberg (1767-1821) was, like him, a virtuoso instrumentalist of precocious gifts. His career too was radically affected by the Napoleonic Wars and a formative encounter with Haydn. And, as with Beethoven, his most popular work was a choral setting of a poem by Schiller: Das Lied von der Glocke, premiered in 1809. Romberg wrote an enormous number of violin concertos, but only sixteen manuscript scores of his entire oeuvre have survived, all of them in Hamburg. Chouchane Siranossian has decided to revive and make the world premiere recording of three concertos, thus revealing an interesting composer and a trio of highly virtuosic works. © Alpha Classics

Last edited by bart; 01-24-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:29 PM
Retired

Beethoven's 9th by the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner at Carnegie Hall. Lucy Crowe, Soprano; Jess Dandy, Contralto; Ed Lyon, Tenor; Matthew Rose, Bass; Monteverdi Choir. From last Feb (pre-pandemic). If you are looking at classical music then you know just how glorious a piece this is. Played on period instruments.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-25-2021, 01:26 AM

Locatelli Violin Concertos
Lisa Jacobs, The String Soloists
Cobra Records (2016), DSD files recorded in binaural

Wonderful sound recorded using both stereo mics and a binaural head. The binaural version has wonderful sound via headphones. The performance is very nice as well, not always the case with “audiophile” recordings like this.

D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2