AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Default ARC/DAW system impressions

I completed the transition to the latest SE components with an ARC upgrade of my CD9 to CD9SE. I acquired the 6SE in May and the 3SE in July. The DAW’s have been in since February. Couple of minor QA negatives from ARC. The 160S meters started behaving erratically and to ARC’s credit a new “160B” was substituted with meters sourced from a new supplier. Of course I was willing to have my unit fixed with new meters but that may not be possible. The new meters do not illuminate symmetrically, but that’s not worth pursuing. I have doubts about the longevity of these meters and the new ARC management may as well. My Phono 3SE was delivered, out of the box, with one channel on input 1 inoperative despite a QC card stating otherwise. The CD9SE, unlike my Ref Phono 2SE upgrade, was delivered without a new QC card or manual. Small things to be sure, but unlike any ARC experience I’ve had over a 40 year history with ARC.
Sonically the Ref 6SE is quite a departure from my 5SE and synergies much better with the 160S. Soundstage is more detailed and less recessed, but somewhat less warm than 5SE/75SE combination. Another interpretation would be more accurate. I do not listen in ultralinear mode so no comment. The 3SE has not delivered a “eureka” moment over the 2SE. In fact I cannot distinguish the difference which may be a limitation of my vinyl rig. The CD9SE actually sounds marginally better than the CD9, better imaging, clarity. Possibly new tubes are the answer to that. As an aside, the Wilson’s are truly superb in all parameters except the lowest registers of bass. They are the stars in my system. At this point I would have to say that while ARC gear remains a good value (compared to next price level gear), I have some concerns regarding the QC and longevity of current models. New management and time will tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9E7A1EB-A48D-4F2F-BC1F-D4203F6A549B.jpeg (1.49 MB, 187 views)
File Type: jpeg 8F5319CB-5890-4CC0-9AC4-E5A387E81462.jpeg (2.19 MB, 212 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 PM

Looking great! Congrats on some fantastic gear. I know how good ARC and Wilson pair. Let's see a pic of the whole system!

Ps. Make sure you are using the 8 ohm tap...

And like you, I'll be watching to see what changes are in store for the company.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
I completed the transition to the latest SE components with an ARC upgrade of my CD9 to CD9SE. I acquired the 6SE in May and the 3SE in July. The DAW’s have been in since February. Couple of minor QA negatives from ARC. The 160S meters started behaving erratically and to ARC’s credit a new “160B” was substituted with meters sourced from a new supplier. Of course I was willing to have my unit fixed with new meters but that may not be possible. The new meters do not illuminate symmetrically, but that’s not worth pursuing. I have doubts about the longevity of these meters and the new ARC management may as well. My Phono 3SE was delivered, out of the box, with one channel on input 1 inoperative despite a QC card stating otherwise. The CD9SE, unlike my Ref Phono 2SE upgrade, was delivered without a new QC card or manual. Small things to be sure, but unlike any ARC experience I’ve had over a 40 year history with ARC.
Sonically the Ref 6SE is quite a departure from my 5SE and synergies much better with the 160S. Soundstage is more detailed and less recessed, but somewhat less warm than 5SE/75SE combination. Another interpretation would be more accurate. I do not listen in ultralinear mode so no comment. The 3SE has not delivered a “eureka” moment over the 2SE. In fact I cannot distinguish the difference which may be a limitation of my vinyl rig. The CD9SE actually sounds marginally better than the CD9, better imaging, clarity. Possibly new tubes are the answer to that. As an aside, the Wilson’s are truly superb in all parameters except the lowest registers of bass. They are the stars in my system. At this point I would have to say that while ARC gear remains a good value (compared to next price level gear), I have some concerns regarding the QC and longevity of current models. New management and time will tell.
Thanks for relating your recent experiences with ARC and your SE updates. I have almost the same equipment having recently completed a factory upgrade of the Ref 6 and Phono 3 to SE status. I also have the ARC CD9, 250SE and Wilson Sashas. I only recently found out about the availability of the SE upgrade for the CD9 and didn't think it would improve the CD playback until I read your comments...new tubes maybe? I'm considering it just for the cool looks and the added flexibility if I ever start streaming.

Some of your experiences with ARC QC sounds unusual although I've also heard about problems with their "ghost" meters. I've generally been very pleased with ARC's QC and service, although the few times there've been hiccups, they always make it right. Your impressions of the new SE components are spot on with my own. The 6SE is much better than the 5SE in the way you describe but the phono stage, not so much.

A question: your rack is very neat but it looks like there is fairly minimal space around the components especially the Ref 6SE. Aren't you concerned about ventilation?

Again, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
A question: your rack is very neat but it looks like there is fairly minimal space around the components especially the Ref 6SE. Aren't you concerned about ventilation?

Again, thanks for sharing.
You're right, after pointing that out, I looked at the photos again and noted that it does appear to be pretty tight/snug. Ventilation might be an issue.

What kind of rack is that?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Zoethecus?
Wilson DAW, ARC 160M Mk 2, 250SE, Ref 6SE, Ref 3SE, CD9SE, VPI TNT6 w/rim drive, 12" Fatboy/3D/12.7, LP1 clamp, Lyra Etna Lambda SL, Kleos, Koetsu Onyx, Vermillion, U Gold, TA Gen 5 Reference cables, Shunyata Triton 2/Typhon, 2000T, Alpha PCs, Furutech NCF on 3 dedicated lines. Home Theater: Stewart 123" Firehawk, JVC RS-500, Panasonic 4K player, Marantz 8802a, Wilson Center3+surrounds, GoldenEar HTR7000, JL f113, Parasound A51 and Krell 250a/3.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:03 AM

Yes it is a Zoethecus with “Z slabs” I purchased new from them in 02 or 03. Sadly they went under but I’ve yet to find a stand as good that wasn’t stratospheric in price. It is a little tight up front but there is a couple of inches above and below the 6SE and 3SE. Here is a photo of the entire set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AA8F69A0-0BF5-4348-B95B-2DE57D8D20A1.jpeg (1.71 MB, 121 views)
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes it is a Zoethecus with “Z slabs” I purchased new from them in 02 or 03. Sadly they went under but I’ve yet to find a stand as good that wasn’t stratospheric in price. It is a little tight up front but there is a couple of inches above and below the 6SE and 3SE. Here is a photo of the entire set up.
Thanks for showing the whole rig. Very nice! Congrats on a well thought out system.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Very neat and tidy system. Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:06 PM

Great setup and thx for sharing. DAW is an exceptional speaker. I am just surprised about your comment for low frequencies. Normally, it’ si very deep, detailed and fast, so for sure you need to search where you can improve your system because the problem doesn’t come from thé DAW ..
Old 10-12-2020, 09:32 AM

The DAW does not extend as low in the bass as the Alexia 2 which I auditioned as well, and the difference is easily appreciated. The bass of my DAW is limited by positioning needs.