AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 AM

Been following this forum with interest.

I recently gave Roon a whirl with the 60 day trial included with my Bryston BDP3.

At first everything Roon (core/server/remote) was on a 2010 MacPro laptop, 8 gigs RAM and 2 TB SSD streamed via WiFi to the BDP3. The ripped files were aiff on the Mac SSD. While no drop outs were experienced, the sound quality was not as good as the BDP3 by itself be it ripped files or Qobuz.

I then put the Roon core and server on my desktop (2008 MacPro) connected to the router via ethernet and WiFi to the Bryston. The SQ was noticeable improved but still not as good as using the Bryston on its own. At that point, I let Roon go.

Perhaps running an ethernet directly to the BDP3 and building a dedicated Roon core/server from a NUC may improve things further. Frankly, no desire to pursue this rabbit hole of another appliance and whatever other dingleberries get brought into the flow.

So, for now, I'll sit on the sidelines. Bryston seems to be committed to improving Qobuz support (hint... incorporate their API and scrapper) and a new GUI also appears to be in the process.

All comments welcome in pursuit of audiophile nirvana.

Good Holidays!

Last edited by John Jordan; 12-17-2020 at 12:08 AM. Reason: diff to aiff
Old 12-18-2020, 10:11 AM

I am in the process of configuring a NUC to run Roon. It’s worth a small investment to try out. I really like the user interface.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-18-2020, 10:25 AM

You have a big enough library to warrant a full NUC. Our library is under 1,000 albums and Roon core runs w/o issue on a late generation NAS (Synology DS720+) using an outboard SSD drive (and not even sure that is needed).
I plan to build up a Raspberry Pi4 over the holidays to test as an endpoint. Seems to getting great comments due to better USB implementation plus much higher CPU power - nearly a desktop computer of 5 years ago. About $75.-
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:37 AM

Let me know how the Raspberry Pi works for you. I have effectively “de-crapified” my SurfacePro tablet for use as an endpoint, but getting a computer out of that part of the chain has some merit. RoonBridge is very lightweight and doesn’t use a lot of resources.

I am ordering an i7 NUC after the holidays to run core. That should do it.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-20-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Let me know how the Raspberry Pi works for you. I have effectively “de-crapified” my SurfacePro tablet for use as an endpoint, but getting a computer out of that part of the chain has some merit. RoonBridge is very lightweight and doesn’t use a lot of resources.

I am ordering an i7 NUC after the holidays to run core. That should do it.
That will definitely do it for RoonCore (Core i7).

I recently read up some comments on the SoTM 200 Neo (about $450, so expensive compared to Pi4, but still relatively few $$). This gets good reviews and the tear down on Audio Science Review was highly favorable (I do appreciate what Amir does, and I trust his measurements on digital, even though it may not be the whole story).

Anyway, Amir gave SoTM high marks on their engineering and execution.

So SoTM vs Pi4 (strictly as an endpoint for Roon). ???
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Sounds interesting. I verified my current setup is bit perfect so it will be easy to evaluate other endpoint options. Then it’s just a question of de-crapifying the interface to the DAC.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
That will definitely do it for RoonCore (Core i7).

I recently read up some comments on the SoTM 200 Neo (about $450, so expensive compared to Pi4, but still relatively few $$). This gets good reviews and the tear down on Audio Science Review was highly favorable (I do appreciate what Amir does, and I trust his measurements on digital, even though it may not be the whole story).

Anyway, Amir gave SoTM high marks on their engineering and execution.

So SoTM vs Pi4 (strictly as an endpoint for Roon). ???
I have a Pi4 but havent tried it as an end point yet, so take this with a grain of salt.... But speaking from past experience the Roon core and whatever DAC you happen to be using are where the measurable/tangible differences come into play. The endpoints in the roon setups really dont play a role unless they actively do something via implementation that messes something up.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Hey Roonies!

I finally bought and assembled a NUC to run ROCK.
Intel NUC10i7FNH, 16G Ram, 500GB NVMe M.2.
The process of getting it up and running was less than straightforward with several BIOS changes and re-boots required. I had to download a program on my PC to flash the USB drive. Also had to download and extract a codec and load it into the NUC with a web interface.

All in all the instructions and FAQ's were pretty good.

The NUC now lives with the NAS and UPS, all of which are on the opposite leg of my power feed to the audio gear.

All of the previous issues I had with Roon are gone. It's working quite well now.

Still using the Surface Pro as a battery powered endpoint - everything is sounding better than it ever has.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v

Last edited by W9TR; 01-22-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I finally bought and assembled a NUC to run ROCK.
Intel NUC10i7FNH, 16G Ram, 500GB NVMe M.2.
The process of getting it up and running was less than straightforward with several BIOS changes and re-boots required. I had to download a program on my PC to flash the USB drive. Also had to download and extract a codec and load it into the NUC with a web interface.

All in all the instructions and FAQ's were pretty good.

The NUC now lives with the NAS and UPS, all of which are on the opposite leg of my power feed to the audio gear.

All of the previous issues I had with Roon are gone. It's working quite well now.

Still using the Surface Pro as a battery powered endpoint - everything is sounding better than it ever has.
Nice Tom! Good to hear it made a sonic improvement. It is something I am getting ready to do as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I have a Pi4 but havent tried it as an end point yet, so take this with a grain of salt.... But speaking from past experience the Roon core and whatever DAC you happen to be using are where the measurable/tangible differences come into play. The endpoints in the roon setups really dont play a role unless they actively do something via implementation that messes something up.
Agreed. The Pi4 is very simple to set up, the SoTM based on reviews and tear-down is simply a higher quality execution of the same idea; perhaps more reliable/stable.

The reason I am doing this to try out different digital formats - Roon and Sonos have been working very well together -