AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-18-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
My educated guess is that ARC preferred the Teflon caps but the failure of the manufacturer to produce them quickly enough held up the sale of se upgrades for at least 6 months. As ARC had a business to run, it had no choice but to look for replacement caps. I love the body and texture that I believe the caps were largely responsible for in the Ref 40 and the Phono. 2 se. Hopefully, this has not been sacrificed with the caps being used today.
This is basically what my understanding was. ARC could not source enough of the Teflon caps thus they were forced to make the change.

I have not yet heard the Ref 6 but it would surprise me if it was better than the REF 40; if for no other reason than because of the power supply in the REF 40.

I am of the opinion that the REF 10 is in a very similar league as the REF 40. Just look at the boards inside and that alone should tell you why. ARC sold many more REF 40s than what they anticipated and knew that they could add a similar version to their line up and it would sell. So as not to totally tick off the people that purchased the REF 40 (as they promised it would be limited) they had to make some changes most of which were cosmetic.

ARC said on their site that the LS 27 is similar to REF 5 but on a smaller scale. Also when I spoke to them some time ago they indicated that the LS 27 was better than the REF 3 in every way. Based on my ears the REF 5 was ahead if the LS 27 and the LS 27 was not better than the REF 3 in every way. Bottom line is that even though I read opinions and reviews on components the final decision about an upgrade is left to my ears and my pocket book.

I have learnt that newer is not always better and in many cases newer is only marginally better. There are many people that upgrade and suggest that the new product is a significant upgrade to help justify the money spent. That is their choice but I like to see more of an upgrade in sound for my money. For example I would not upgrade a REF 40 to a REF 10 as IMO it is not worth the 15K or so difference between what you could sell your REF 40 for and purchase a new REF 10. My ears suggest that the REF 5 SE was still behind the REF 40 in sound and experience albeit not leaps and bounds. Keep in mind the law of diminishing returns.

When I hear the REF 6 I will compare it to the REF 40 and REF 10 as these to me are the ones at the top of the ARC food chain. As the interior components have changed in the REF 6 I wonder if the signature sound has changed.

Last edited by Alki; 02-18-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
This is basically what my understanding was. ARC could not source enough of the Teflon caps thus they were forced to make the change.

I have not yet heard the Ref 6 but it would surprise me if it was better than the REF 40; if for no other reason than because of the power supply in the REF 40.

I am of the opinion that the REF 10 is in a very similar league as the REF 40. Just look at the boards inside and that alone should tell you why. ARC sold many more REF 40s than what they anticipated and knew that they could add a similar version to their line up and it would sell. So as not to totally tick off the people that purchased the REF 40 (as they promised it would be limited) they had to make some changes most of which were cosmetic.

ARC said on their site that the LS 27 is similar to REF 5 but on a smaller scale. Also when I spoke to them some time ago they indicated that the LS 27 was better than the REF 3 in every way. Based on my ears the REF 5 was ahead if the LS 27 and the LS 27 was not better than the REF 3 in every way. Bottom line is that even though I read opinions and reviews on components the final decision about an upgrade is left to my ears and my pocket book.

I have learnt that newer is not always better and in many cases newer is only marginally better. There are many people that upgrade and suggest that the new product is a significant upgrade to help justify the money spent. That is their choice but I like to see more of an upgrade in sound for my money. For example I would not upgrade a REF 40 to a REF 10 as IMO it is not worth the 15K or so difference between what you could sell your REF 40 for and purchase a new REF 10. My ears suggest that the REF 5 SE was still behind the REF 40 in sound and experience albeit not leaps and bounds. Keep in mind the law of diminishing returns.

When I hear the REF 6 I will compare it to the REF 40 and REF 10 as these to me are the ones at the top of the ARC food chain. As the interior components have changed in the REF 6 I wonder if the signature sound has changed.
+1
Old 02-18-2016, 05:08 PM

+2
Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 AM

+3
Old 02-23-2016, 12:39 AM

+4
Old 03-02-2016, 05:13 AM

Well, I have taken the plunge & purchased a few types of caps of varying capacities to try out. One of the types are these Stealth caps in 20micro Farad capacities.

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 03-04-2016, 01:23 AM

I jumped at the chance to purchase these Teflon caps for my Ref 3.
Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread - Page 28
Old 03-09-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPS View Post
I jumped at the chance to purchase these Teflon caps for my Ref 3.
Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread - Page 28
Hi MPS,

Please tell us the result of using this RTI Telfon caps and post some photos to share with us.

Many thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 AM

Hi,

initially the difference was maybe less than expected but as we know Teflon caps require hundreds of hours burn-in time. Now I would say that they do sound more neutral and detailed. I can see how some ppl might prefer sound of good MKP, they seem to have some "sweetness" which compared to Teflon turns out to be coloration. The difference is not huge by any means but I am satisfied with the results.

btw, caps were secured with cable ties after taking the photo
Old 03-10-2016, 02:36 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Not in ARC gear, but the V-Cap CuTF (Copper Foil Fluoropolymer Film) are the best I've used.