AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I read the TAS review of the Denali with iterest as the reviewer was comparing it to the Triton/Typhon combo which I have. The review got my attention when it was stated that the Denali technology yield a more organic sound. I had not realized we can now have a triton v3. So I guess the triton v3 IS the top of the line correct and would yield a more organic sound then my v1? It was said that the denali no longer needs the typhon as does my trition (I may have misunderstood this part). Does the V3 still benefit from the Typhon? Since I have 4 Typhon (2 on my amps and two for my triton v1, would I still need the two with the triton? This is exciting!
The DENALI was designed with technology that was not availabe when the TRITON was built. Specifically, the medical filters that we developed for our medical sister company and the QR/BB module that improves system dynamics even for high power amplifiers. The new technology allowed the DENALI to outperform the TRITON in some performance areas. Robert's reference at the time he was evaluating the DENALI was the TRITON v2. The TRITON v3 was still in research and development at the time. Robert's opinions expressed about the Denali's extraordinary performance is consistent with that of other reviewers (Audio Beat and AudioStream) and of many DENALI customers.

We wanted to maintain the TRITON as our reference model so we developed a program to infuse the TRITON with the technology developed for the DENALI. Trickle UP technology as it were. The TRITON v3 now has QR/BB tech that is 3 times the size of that used in the DENALI. And it now has the CCI v3 noise filters developed for the DENALI series. So, yes the TRITON v3 is our reference.

RE: TYPHON
The TRITON and TYPHON were developed together as a two-part power system. Similar in concept to a preamplifier that has a separate power supply. If the Triton and Typhon combination was combined in a single unit it would have weighed more than 100lbs and it would not fit on a standard shelf so we made it in two chassis'. This also allowed people to purchase our reference system in stages. They could buy the Triton distribution center and then later upgrade to the full reference system by adding the Typhon. So, the Triton and Typhon were designed as an interconnected system. The Typhon is still a significant upgrade in performance for the Triton v3. Some people use the Typhon with a DENALI and say it is an improvement. However, it is not as significant as when used with the Triton because the Denali does not have the internal buss system that allows the Triton to fully realize the benefits of the Typhon's noise reduction capabilities.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by CGabriel; 03-13-2017 at 10:08 PM.