AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM

I fell in love with Koetsu from the first note. In my case that was with a tired old Onyx Signature (Alnico magnets, not Platinum) that sorely needed a retip. That was some years ago; now I've got that old Onyx rebuilt by Koetsu, plus a few of the more modern Platinum stones including a Coralstone. All boron cantilevers though; I've never tried a diamond.

The Bob's Devices Sky is a phenomenal match with these cartridges, if you like a tonally rich, meaty, impactful sound. I use the 1:40 for the Platinums (though probably a 1:30 would be ideal here), and a 1:10/1:20 for the Alnico (higher output) magnets. Koetsu are about midrange first (though bass and treble are both very good), and the Sky doubles down on this (which I love). I also had Bob's Devices older 1131 SUT, and it's also very good and very close to the Sky, but just a tad grainier.

Last edited by mulveling; 01-18-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
I fell in love with Koetsu from the first note. In my case that was with a tired old Onyx Signature (Alnico magnets, not Platinum) that sorely needed a retip. That was some years ago; now I've got that old Onyx rebuilt by Koetsu, plus a few of the more modern Platinum stones including a Coralstone. All boron cantilevers though; I've never tried a diamond.

The Bob's Devices Sky is a phenomenal match with these cartridges, if you like a tonally rich, meaty, impactful sound. I use the 1:40 for the Platinums, and a 1:10/1:20 for the Alnico (higher output) magnets.
I agree. I haven't heard the Sky but I use a 1:40 for my Vermilion, IIRC. The Sky is about 2-3 steps up from my SUT, so it must sound fantastic.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM

I replaced a Sumiko Blackbird with a Rosewood Standard and am incredibly pleased with the upgrade.
I’m using a Project Xtension 10 through a McIntosh C2600.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 AM

Hello friends,
I got my URUSHI VERMILLION today.
Spent about 1 hour and half to set it up perfectly.
Just listened for 5 minutes and had to go.
The sound seems superb. Loaded at 333 ohms but will try various options : the recommended load at 80-1000 ohms is pretty large !
One thing is sure : my Cyrus Phono Signature has more than enough gain and the cart sings beautifully. A SUT will probably not be mandatory.
Will say more in a few weeks.
IMG_6569.jpg
IMG_6571.jpg
Old 01-29-2018, 11:43 AM

Hi Jerome,

I use a Koetsu Gold Onyx with a Manley Steelhead pre. I found I really preferred the MM input but although the sound was very good it was seriously lacking in gain. I then tried a Choir Audio SUT H7 and the whole sound came 'alive'. Turned out to be (imo) the perfect match. I now enjoy vinyl like never before and never looked back. 2018-01-29%2015.34.03.jpgpost-109646-0-34210400-1459217886_thumb.jpg
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I agree. I haven't heard the Sky but I use a 1:40 for my Vermilion, IIRC. The Sky is about 2-3 steps up from my SUT, so it must sound fantastic.

Hi Stephen,

So if I want to try a Bob's device SUT for the Vermillion which model should I get ? The 1:40 ?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hi Stephen,

So if I want to try a Bob's device SUT for the Vermillion which model should I get ? The 1:40 ?
If the 0.2mV spec is correct you'd definitely want a Sky 40. I prefer Sky 40 to the Sky 20 with my 0.3mV Platinum stone bodies. Though that will result in 8mV, which is above the MM standard 5mV, the extra gain is helpful to help pull the signal further above your phono preamp's noise floor, and 8mV will be no problem for any well designed MM stage (e.g. no overload worries). I find it sounds more dynamic with the extra gain, too.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
If the 0.2mV spec is correct you'd definitely want a Sky 40. I prefer Sky 40 to the Sky 20 with my 0.3mV Platinum stone bodies. Though that will result in 8mV, which is above the MM standard 5mV, the extra gain is helpful to help pull the signal further above your phono preamp's noise floor, and 8mV will be no problem for any well designed MM stage (e.g. no overload worries). I find it sounds more dynamic with the extra gain, too.

Thanks !
Old 01-30-2018, 02:49 AM

Default Koetsu carts

WOW !
This Koetsu is C A P T I V A T I N G !
I never heard any vinyl played as beautifully as this. I fall short of words to describe this sound.
Very similar to the first time I listened to Shindo. But more powerful. This is a "fleshy" experience. It seems to me that I am listening with all my body !

Is anyone using Koetsu's own SUT ?
I am not in a hurry to buy one. I have used various SUTs in the past. I have confidence in people saying that SUT's are the only good way to amplify a low output MC signal. Even my little Nagra BPS was using Nagra transformers for the MC carts.
But the sound of the Koetsu through the Cyrus Phono Sig is so good that I will take my time to buy an SUT.
I am not so sure that today some companies still do not know how to amplify a very low signal without a SUT.
Stephen...
Did you ever hear the CJ HV1-A pre preamp ?
IMG_6575.jpg

Last edited by Jerome W; 01-30-2018 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
I have confidence in people saying that SUT's are the only good way to amplify a low output MC signal.
Jerome, this is a good read. http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....rs_explai.html