AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 PM

The Beyer T1 is very very good.

I use headphones when my wife watches her girly shows. We like to be in the same room when ever we are not at work so we can spend more time together. Headphones allows me to enjoy what I like and her to enjoy what she likes.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Started listening to music, through headphones, 2 years ago, when our first son was born. Now I have two dedicated headphone rigs . Check my signature.

As our first daughter is just born, I am now building my first speaker system .
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 AM

The BCL is my favorite amp. I can't wait for the next version SE to come to the States.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 AM

Mike, I use headphones only when far from home.
I rarely use them at home since my audio system is in a dedicated room : I much prefer listening to the speakers.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 AM

I buy good headphones/amps like the LCD2 r1 and AKG 702 and the Violectric which sound fantastic and musical and then listen to the speakers??? Doesn't make sense to me either... recently nearly upgraded to Audeze LCD3 and a Cavalli Liquid Fire so they could also sit around unused... I will learn eventually or maybe .. actually I used to own a marvellous ref Stax set up with the SRMt1 tube energiser amp that hardly got used either... hmmm, when it comes to headphones I think I might suffer from what in Australia is known as having a few too many kangaroos loose in the top paddock...

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-21-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I buy good headphones/amps like the LCD2 r1 and AKG 702 and the Violectric which sound fantastic and musical and then listen to the speakers??? Doesn't make sense to me either... recently nearly upgraded to Audeze LCD3 and a Cavalli Liquid Fire so they could also sit around unused... I will learn eventually or maybe .. actually I used to own a marvellous ref Stax set up with the SRMt1 tube energiser amp that hardly got used either... hmmm, when it comes to headphones I think I might suffer from what in Australia is known as having a few too many kangaroos loose in the top paddock...

Graham
The Violectric V200 and Cavalli LF are front runers on my upgrade plan...
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post

Graham
I am taking a hard look at the Violectric. Have you had a chance to compare it to an EAR HP-4? Any thoughts and advice you could lend would be great. I don't need a DAC, I just want the best model they have to try.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Anyone auditioned Audeze planars?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac View Post
Anyone auditioned Audeze planars?
I'm a major headphone nerd, and I can tell you LCD-2's are outstanding, and I plan getting the LCD-3's soon. You need a good powerful headphone amp. I am using an EAR HP-4, and a Krell with favorable results. The B-52 lacked in the balls department.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

I was afraid of that, head phone amp too. Doesn't surprise me tho.

I miss my Martin Logans and was thinking maybe this would help.

I'm sorely tempted. However, I have zero reasons for headphones.

Yet sorely tempted.