AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 02-04-2019, 03:00 AM

Default Using grill or no grill? How about a creative alternative to both

So I have a set of 804N that are in Pristine condition besides the fact that my daughters cat has clawed the crap out of the cloth grill and caused all kinds of damage when looking up close. My wife feels bad and was going to buy me a new set of grills, but the problem is, this isn’t going to solve the cat problem.

I have always preferred the look of the speakers without the grill since you can see all the wood and driver details.

That being said, I may have come up with a solution for both.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 AM

Dang. Looks like I can’t add pictures from my device unless I download it to an image hosting site first. That being said, I guess I’ll just explain what I did.

For the 2 bass drivers I found the perfect size car stereo speaker type metal cover. I attached them buy using 4 longer screws and using the factory holes. Fits perfect.

For the FST driver (as you know, there is NO surround and no screws to use to attach it. So I took out the center “phase plug” and had a friend use a lathe and copy it the best he could with wood. He then put a hole at the flat end so I could insert a threaded post and screw it into the speaker. He then put a small nut at the tip. I then take a smaller screw and screw the grill directly to the front of the plug. So basically the grill is being held in place by attaching it to the center phase plug. I painted the small screw at the tip but still need to paint the wood phase plug.

All in all it turned out great since I now have the advantage to see the drivers a bit more and also see the cherry wood finish on the face of the speaker. Too me it looks so much better. Purists May say that the metal grill doesn’t sound as good but I don’t feel like I hear any difference.

Let me see if I can figure out an easy way to attach some pics.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM

I bet that looks nice, rodH. It also sounds like a unique solution to the cat problem.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 02-05-2019, 06:08 PM

Speakers are replacable.After watching one of our cats look me in the eye and bite down on a speaker cable I decided cats are not.Cat free three years.Cheers
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Racing Hoopties

Have to say it. There are a few simple solutions to Cat problems.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM

I once read in SR that rubbing some lemon oil on grille fabric is effective since it's supposed to be repulsive to feline nostrils.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 PM

I have 805s and a meticulous wife. I have often wondered if I should have bought 804s. You've answered my question
Old 03-18-2019, 08:49 AM

I'll stop laughing now, because I know it's not funny! . . . . I'll Have to go along with Chubba! I'd be Cat Free in a Heartbeat, compared to having my Cat injure my precious Audio Equipment! I'd prefer listening to great audio than petting my Cat!