AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 03-28-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback Sancho! I will also note that the Leben/DeVore combo is noted to have great synergy, and the tubes I have in the Leben especially rock with the O96...it balances out the bass real nice.

I'm at a point now where I'd like to get more performance out of the Flamencos. For those that have the Werner XO, or just upgraded the XO in general, what kind of differences did you note?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:52 PM

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32846
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM

My thoughts here are another example of this hobby not being easy. If you could get your hands on a Shindo amp, I think this should come together for you.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM

Welp, took me a while but I read through all 27 pages of the Vintage Codex. Great thread. After some more time to A/B with the stock Flamenco and the DeVores I'm leaning towards the higher resolution, more refined, better imaging, tone, and tightness I'm hearing from the DeVores (again in my room and in my setup). I'm having a hard time thinking that a crossover will 'fix' or improve all these areas to my liking which is why I haven't taken the plunge. Stands seem to be needed as well.

So like many others I guess I'm standing on the edge of a rabbit hole asking if I should make the jump. The Werner XO would probably lead to a new back panel and all the fine work that entails with cutting space for the 806 horn. Not to mention table/legs, new brass screws, and all the other nice tweaks mentioned in the other thread. I suppose I could take it a little at a time and enjoy the journey.

Don - regarding the Shindo amp, I hear you. A nice Montille EL84 popped up on Audiogon and it is very tempting. However, I think I have my heart set on two particular amps I think I can live with for the long term: The Cortese should I stick with the Flamenco and all tweaks that will require, or the Haut Brion and the DeVores should I go that route. I'm not much of a handy man so the Flamenco tweaks seem a little daunting but no doubt the route that most interests me. I want to see what these puppies are capable of.

Thanks all for your feedback.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM

CFz-Understood. Hopefully others will chime in, but these are my thoughts....
I'm assuming you're going with a Shindo amp regardless of which speaker you choose... And certainly you want to choose the one that you like best with the speaker you keep. My only thought is don't let the Altec go until you hear it with the Shindo. Not saying you will like it better than the 0/96, but you may like it better then you do now. Others can weigh in, but I wouldn't let the crossover thought overwhelm. It was all pretty easy, even the new backs, which you don't necessarily have to do. The extra space for the rear of the horn is one 6" Saw-Hole cut. I had a carpenter do it for me, and I gave him the Hole Saw bit as payment. Then you simply cap the 6" hole. I'm no handyman. Believe me when I tell ya.... (-:
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM

Thanks Don. I took the plunge and ordered the Werner XO, now the long wait begins. I will certainly wait to listen to a Shindo amp on the Altecs before deciding what to do with them. As for the new wood panels, I'm sure it can be a relatively easy job to accomplish.

For the speaker stands a quick google search brought up a lot of carpenters on etsy willing to customize stands, I may end up going that route.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 PM

i am not too handy either, but was able to build the very simple stands for the Flamencos. Since then I built two pairs of speaker stands for monitors and a gera rack from Home Depot bits - less than $100...ton of fun and a sense of accomplishment.
You can easily do all the stuff needed for the speakers.
BTW - do not underestimate the Montille. I have it paired with Aurieges MM and a Hommage T2 - all my audio friends are blown away irrespectively if Altec WLM or even Yamaha NS1000 is hooked up...
Old 03-30-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho22 View Post
i am not too handy either, but was able to build the very simple stands for the Flamencos. Since then I built two pairs of speaker stands for monitors and a gera rack from Home Depot bits - less than $100...ton of fun and a sense of accomplishment.
You can easily do all the stuff needed for the speakers.
BTW - do not underestimate the Montille. I have it paired with Aurieges MM and a Hommage T2 - all my audio friends are blown away irrespectively if Altec WLM or even Yamaha NS1000 is hooked up...
Thanks Sancho. I may try the Home Depot build but my concern is mainly the look. My wife wouldn't appreciate plywood stands in our living room propping up large 50 year old speakers, that said a stain could probably fix that.

On the Montille, I hear you. I don't underestimate the Shindo equipment, it just wasn't an amp I was thinking about purchasing or researched much in terms of synergies with Altec or DeVore. Regardless it's gone now to some lucky owner but I'm happy to hear from you that it does well with the Flamenco.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 PM

i stained mine dark brown and it is OK - does teh job. Added brass feet and now look seven better. You can use furniture legs (I think junker went that way) and then teh stands will match teh style better. The top plate will not be noticed as the speakers will sit flush
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 PM

It's really easy to unscrew the existing wire connector plate and slide the plate inside. You can wrap the wire loom around the N-800-F can. Then just buy a strip of wood trim and drill 2 holes for screws plus whatever wire you want to run in to the cabinet. Saves you a lot of trouble if you aren't sure what you'll be doing long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
Thanks Don. I took the plunge and ordered the Werner XO, now the long wait begins. I will certainly wait to listen to a Shindo amp on the Altecs before deciding what to do with them. As for the new wood panels, I'm sure it can be a relatively easy job to accomplish.

For the speaker stands a quick google search brought up a lot of carpenters on etsy willing to customize stands, I may end up going that route.