AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-11-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Let us know if 6V6's still sound anemic. Now you have me considering a subwoofer. MA the Enabler.
Today I'll be trying the gadget with 6P3S-E, which I consider excellent except for its lack of body of sound and thin bass. This gadget seems perfect to cure both limitations, we'll see. Next, I'll try RCA 6V6 G ST's, using a new Pope 80 rectifier in the Amp.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
I recently added a second sub to my office system. A real imaging improvement. Go for it..

I also have the RedMod installed but never a/b'd them so cannot attest to their effects.
Depending on the output tube and rest of the system, this thing really makes a difference. It is evidently not a night-and-day effect, but quite tangible. What I like is it addresses body of sound issues along with a more pronounced, seamless bass (instead of bass reinforcement), coped with neater mid and high frequencies, and more separation across instruments.

I expect this gadget to be less effective with larger tubes (KT-88, 6550 and larger), but I may be wrong. OTBE, larger tubes are already full of body and project strong bass, having more capacity to deal with the low frequencies' load. I would guess the gadget may still improve air between instruments with larger tubes, as the Amp can better resolve less heavy loads. Hopefully, large tubes' over-boldness will be channeled through the SUB(s), making for a neater presentation, but I'm only guessing until I try.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 06-11-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Results on the 6P3S-E:

- Much better bass (like I have never heard with these tubes!)
- Larger body of sound and soundstage (never heard that before either)
- Higher SPL (volume dial at par with larger tubes for the same volume levels!)
- It is difficult to assess improvements in mid to high frequencies, although I suspect there are some, just not evident. One thing is sure: nothing has paid the price, as these tubes are still transparent and detailed, with crisp piano and wind instruments, all at their respective natural timbres.

So far so good ... Now to the G ST's and Pope 80 (the latter still not burn-in)
Old 06-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Results on the RCA 6V6 G ST's:

Same overall impressions as with the 6P3S-E, except for the bass, which is less controlled, less evident and requires a higher SUB volume setup. This could be a result of the 80 not being burn-in, but I believe is more a characteristic of the G ST's.

Mids and highs are just neat and detailed, with much soundstage and body of sound. I never thought I would say this: 6V6's are not anemic in my system anymore, provided I keep the fiilters on. The difference is evident.

One of these days I'll try the same with the larger tubes (6550 & KT-88).
Old 06-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Clean the pins with something like a Scotchbrite pad...get all the crud off them. It makes a difference. Sockets too. My LP27a is dead quiet. Yours should be too.
I cleaned all of the pins with fine steel wool and deoxit. It was helpful in getting out most of the noise. It seems that the background noise is only very slight when I am playing the Inspire KT88 Firebottle; however, when swapping the amp with my other amps, the noise is very pronounced. Is this a factor of amp sensitivity?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpad View Post
I cleaned all of the pins with fine steel wool and deoxit. It was helpful in getting out most of the noise. It seems that the background noise is only very slight when I am playing the Inspire KT88 Firebottle; however, when swapping the amp with my other amps, the noise is very pronounced. Is this a factor of amp sensitivity?
Trackpad,

I am now chasing a hum as well. Long story but I have two Inspire set ups. 1)LP-27a feeding a PSE at the office and LP-3a feeding KT at home. The LP-3a was producing an AC hum. Significant peeks were at 120hz, 180, 240, 300, and 360. I was convinced it was the Pre. I am headed to visit Dennis later this week and before I went and had him take a look at it I figured I better do a little more trouble shooting so I took the LP-3a to work and the Lp-27a home and hooked them up. I figured to be taking my hum to work and bringing silence home. Wrong. The LP-27a into the KT at home produced the same AC hum, peeks ever 60 hz and everything. Did some interconnect swapping and removed a power strip and I swear the hum was still present so I put all back to starting point yesterday. This morning the Hum is gone. Go figure. I hate intermittent problems. As of this morning the LP-27a into KT is now quiet as a mouse and I have no idea why. I will continue to trouble shoot this and keep you posted but at the moment I am thinking that it may be something in my house like a TV that is the root cause.

Scott
Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Scott, Thanks for your reply. I also tried a Rolls Humbuster, between the pre and the amp, disconnected all inputs to the pre. I still had a hum. Very disappointed.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpad View Post
Scott, Thanks for your reply. I also tried a Rolls Humbuster, between the pre and the amp, disconnected all inputs to the pre. I still had a hum. Very disappointed.
Are you using and power conditioning devices? As my post states I am leaning toward the source being from the wall outlet that is being amplified by the Pre. Like you I have removed all input sources from the Pre to no avail. Afterward I had thought maybe a ground loop from Pre to Amp but when I swapped Pre Amps I am less confident in that hypothesis. AC hums are a very frustrating issue, if that is what this is. Try not to get to discouraged. I am sure this is solvable and when these units are running true they are magical.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Yes, it may be a TV causing the hum. Get a shotgun and 'fix' it. You'll feel better.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 PM

I'm using a PowerVar Power Conditioner Model ABC1200-11. The rest of my system is dead quiet. I'm going to experiment and unplug as many potential sources and see what happens.