AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-16-2020, 01:51 PM
sgbroimp sgbroimp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut Shore
Posts: 545
Default

I am just not hearing a difference between my good one and my "broken" one, but maybe it is just my old ears......
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-16-2020, 02:35 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 20,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
I am just not hearing a difference between my good one and my "broken" one, but maybe it is just my old ears......
https://www.hear-it.org/significant-...%20age%20group.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-16-2020, 02:36 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 20,823
Default

Tweeter? What does a tweeter sound like?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-16-2020, 05:27 PM
hdvidguy hdvidguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Hearing protection throughout your life is so important. Many run loud devices w/o any protection and have hearing loss early. Eg., grass trimmers, blowers etc. I'm not yet in my 60's yet, so maybe I'll have a different answer then .
__________________
Bryston SP3, BDP-2, BOT-1, 14B, 6B, 4B SST, B&W 802N, HTM-1, AM 1x4, Paradigm Sub 2
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-16-2020, 06:28 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 20,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvidguy View Post
Hearing protection throughout your life is so important. Many run loud devices w/o any protection and have hearing loss early. Eg., grass trimmers, blowers etc. I'm not yet in my 60's yet, so maybe I'll have a different answer then .
I don’t have hearing loss (yet) but the typical upper 5KHz of the range (20-20,000) is a mystery now. It is quite normal and I’m not in the 60’s yet either.

Not too many musical instruments reach much beyond 5KHz but the “brilliance range” 6-20K is responsible for the “air” and “sparkle” we hear or not...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:07 AM
FreddieFerric's Avatar
FreddieFerric FreddieFerric is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NOLA
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I don’t have hearing loss (yet) but the typical upper 5KHz of the range (20-20,000) is a mystery now. It is quite normal and I’m not in the 60’s yet either.

Not too many musical instruments reach much beyond 5KHz but the “brilliance range” 6-20K is responsible for the “air” and “sparkle” we hear or not...
We're moving off topic here, but I'll chime in on this... Take care of your hearing folks. Once lost it's just gone.
__________________
McIntosh MA8000; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Dokoder 1120; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 20; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000 (3); Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Panamax PM-5400
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-17-2020, 09:55 AM
hdvidguy hdvidguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 99
Default

Is anyone have issues with D3 tweeters breaking up?
__________________
Bryston SP3, BDP-2, BOT-1, 14B, 6B, 4B SST, B&W 802N, HTM-1, AM 1x4, Paradigm Sub 2
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-23-2020, 02:50 PM
sgbroimp sgbroimp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Connecticut Shore
Posts: 545
Default

With all these tweeters blowing it surprises me that no one has come up with a solution such as a fuse or circuit breaker. My sub has a fuse that has saved its bacon a bunch of times, but it was so hard to get to to replace I installed a circuit breaker that auto resets after the overload is gone. No engineers in our midst with an idea? I mean who wants to replace a $1200 tweeter so it can shatter its cone yet again. Gets to be an expensive sport.....
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-23-2020, 04:02 PM
hdvidguy hdvidguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
With all these tweeters blowing it surprises me that no one has come up with a solution such as a fuse or circuit breaker. My sub has a fuse that has saved its bacon a bunch of times, but it was so hard to get to to replace I installed a circuit breaker that auto resets after the overload is gone. No engineers in our midst with an idea? I mean who wants to replace a $1200 tweeter so it can shatter its cone yet again. Gets to be an expensive sport.....
Wow, is that per tweeter and USD? Only on D1's so far?
__________________
Bryston SP3, BDP-2, BOT-1, 14B, 6B, 4B SST, B&W 802N, HTM-1, AM 1x4, Paradigm Sub 2
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-23-2020, 04:25 PM
SCAudiophile's Avatar
SCAudiophile SCAudiophile is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Tweeter? What does a tweeter sound like?
And of course...

If a tweeter falls in a forest does anyone hear it?
__________________
Legacy Audio VALOR, Legacy Audio i.V4 ULTRA 4ch amp, Legacy Wavelet with HDPlex 200W LPSU & Revelation Audio Labs Passage Cryo-Silver DC Umbilical, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy i.V4 ULTRA, Cybershaft Premium Limited Type2 OP21A 10 MHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Gold Power cord,, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Elrod Diamond XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm, Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50, Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables x 2, Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases

Computer Audio/Rip Playback: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2019, 6-core i9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer for MacOS, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase