AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Semi-audiophile

The tape is here. At first real opportunity I will try it and report back on the result.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 PM

You're going to love this tape. I've used it for years and years - it's very easy to work with, looks great and never, ever dries out or leaves a gooey mess. One roll will probably last you a decade or longer.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Semi-audiophile

I finally got a chance to use some of the tape. I started with my SACD player (the only component tested so far), and wrapped the tape around twice. The sag has been reduced greatly, but is not gone. Perhaps I need to use a third wrap-around? Nevertheless, the connection seems firmer; that's due entirely to the tape.

Next opportunity I might try the tape on the components with a significant history of lost-connection sag: my preamp and BD player.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-06-2016, 07:35 PM

You need to use as much tape as required so that the IEC connector fits snugly and securely in the socket. Using Teflon tape which is very thin can take several wraps to achieve the proper fit.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
You need to use as much tape as required so that the IEC connector fits snugly and securely in the socket. Using Teflon tape which is very thin can take several wraps to achieve the proper fit.
That's about what I thought. Next opportunity, I'll re-do the SACD player. The two wraps aren't overlapping either, which I will fix.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Semi-audiophile

Yesterday, I cut about 5" or so of tape, and wrapped it around the IEC on the preamp's power cord. Plugging it in, I got a nice-looking connection; it's virtually parallel to the floor. What an improvement! I don't expect that there'll be any sag now. The tape is a much cheaper alternative to buying a different brand of cord in an attempt to get a secure fit.

I forgot to re-do the SACD player; that's next.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Semi-audiophile

Last night, I decided to play a DVD before bed. My BD player wouldn't come on. After realizing it wasn't a power issue, I went around back. The WW Stratus PC had sagged enough—even with support from a velcro tie—to lose the connection. Reseating it didn't work. So I removed the velcro tie, got the new tape out and wrapped about a 5" piece around the IEC and plugged it in. Still no connection. I put a bit more on. It came on for a split second then went off again. I put more tape on; no joy. But this time, it was because there was too much tape and the IEC wasn't all the way in. So I took off the last piece I'd put on, plugged it in, and it was working!

But at the end of the disc, the power went off. The IEC had slipped again! So I took off all the tape and re-positioned the cord itself, to help support the IEC plug. I got the player back on so I could eject the disc. A real annoyance, this was. The player, in case it matters, is a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD. No issues so far with the preamp or SACD player (both Mac) and the tape, but the episode with the 09 has me thinking again about another cord, if only for that unit. Maybe I'll get out a Jewel AC; that'll hold for sure. Pangea Audio has new PCs (with Cardas copper) which are supposed to have a "death grip" connection. But then, perhaps it's not wrapping the tape around so much as putting it on the bottom side of the IEC to prop it up that way? Worth a try.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM

It sounds like that particular power cord has an IEC with contacts that are just too loose. This can happen over time if it's been connected with inadequate support and then needs to be repaired with a new IEC connector or just replaced.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
It sounds like that particular power cord has an IEC with contacts that are just too loose. This can happen over time if it's been connected with inadequate support and then needs to be repaired with a new IEC connector or just replaced.
Something a co-worker mentioned today was that downward pull due to the weight of the cord could, over time, affect the component's IEC connector. That's a scary thought. I never thought of the WW cords as particularly heavy, but after thinking about it, I suppose it's possible. Therefore, I'll continue to consider replacements even as I use the photographic tape to stabilize the cords in use. The downward slope of the cord's IEC connector starts with inadequate grip in the first place, so I might tape even those that don't sag much.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:44 PM

It's not just the weight of a cable that can cause strain on the connector and lead to loose grip of its IEC, but it can also be caused by rigidity/stiffness of a particular cable causing strain on the connector's contacts.