AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 11-30-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypimp View Post
The critical factor for any Maggie is current delivery and damping factor above 1000, I am currently driving 1.7i with a Hegel H390 with a damping factor of 4000, it has vice like grip on the panel and the bass is superlative no sub woofer needed

Very much interested in this one, but not quite understand what app to use with it ?
Wanna access Spotify and Tidal Masters, or perhaps MQA.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:59 AM

Default .7's in for review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
I'm thinking the Pass XA-25 at 50wpc of Class-A @ 4ohm would be an excellent match.

McIntosh amps with the autoformers, like the MA8900, are rated at the same power regardless of the speaker's impedance. With their non-autoformer amps, like the MA5300, they do have a higher power rating at the lower impedance. Either should be fine.

I read in stereophile that INT-60 made .7 sounded too rounded and soft. Also read that XA200.8 made Wilson Alexia sounded loose in the bass. But it sure sounded sweet and musical.
Quite interested in Ma5300 too, but then I will need areasonably good streamer to connect to it, may be Node 2i, SoTM 200 Neo, Cambridge CXNV2 or Azure 851N

Last edited by TOGA; 11-30-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 PM
Retired

The INT-60 is not Class A, but Class AB. The last sentence in HR's Stereophile review is, "Despite my dashed expectations, the INT-60 was still the best amp I've used with the Magnepan .7s."
HR also did the Pass INT-25 and XA-25 reviews. He owns both of them and his XA-25 review includes using with the .7 Maggies. Informative to read all three for comparison.
Remember, reviewers pick the smallest of nits and wish to tell all. But, that he kept the INT-25 & XA-25 tells you something.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Yes I loved Class A, I had XA160.5 before with Revel Salon2.
Then not long ago I had Gryphon Mephisto with my Magico.
It was really a magic in class A sound.
For the new .7 of mine. These will be in a second room with
Mainly will play TV sound from optical output or HDMI ARC, mostly will be NETFLIX and YOUTUBE. Then it will be played Spotify streaming.
It is not gonna be much of an audiophile use at all.
First choices will be one piece system.
NAD M33 < which I am not sure of its class D nature, but love the interface.
HEGEL H390 < good, but not really Made in Norway
Gold Note IS-1000D < not report power in 4 ohm load, which is suspicious.

The the second options will be separate streamers (that can do Spotify, Tidal Master(MQA). + conventional integrated amp like INT-25, MA5300,K300i. Not sure NODE 2i or Cambridge CXN V2 is good enough to show quality of Maggie when playing music.

For now HEGEL H390 is number one for me.

Toga
Old 12-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Ok, I got the amp.
KRELL K300i. Very powerful and have a sweet Class A like
Sound.
Using loan Cardas for now, must find own cables next.
May be Kimber or Transparent.

Thanks or all advises.

TOGA
Old 12-11-2020, 08:02 AM

Oh no. Driving .7 at fairly loud volume caused the Krell to have Over Temp shut down. Messaged a high 81 degree C.
On display after shutdown.
This Maggie must be very current hungry.

Toga.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Oh no. Driving .7 at fairly loud volume caused the Krell to have Over Temp shut down. Messaged a high 81 degree C.
On display after shutdown.
This Maggie must be very current hungry.

Toga.
From Stereophile measurements.

I measured the Krell K-300i using my Audio Precision SYS2722 system (see the January 2008 "As We See It"). I usually precondition amplifiers by running them at one- third power into 8 ohms for an hour. The Krell almost made it, turning itself off after 55 minutes, with the front-panel display showing the message "Over temperature left channel." The top panel over the heatsinks was hot, at 142.8°F (61.6°C), but cooler over the transformer at 113.1°F (45.1°C). This is a tough test for an amplifier with a class-AB output stage, as one-third power results in the maximum dissipation in the output devices. The Krell has just sufficient heatsinking for its power rating but should be given plenty of space for ventilation.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
From Stereophile measurements.

I measured the Krell K-300i using my Audio Precision SYS2722 system (see the January 2008 "As We See It"). I usually precondition amplifiers by running them at one- third power into 8 ohms for an hour. The Krell almost made it, turning itself off after 55 minutes, with the front-panel display showing the message "Over temperature left channel." The top panel over the heatsinks was hot, at 142.8°F (61.6°C), but cooler over the transformer at 113.1°F (45.1°C). This is a tough test for an amplifier with a class-AB output stage, as one-third power results in the maximum dissipation in the output devices. The Krell has just sufficient heatsinking for its power rating but should be given plenty of space for ventilation.

Thank you, I read this before but never imagined the little .7 would taxed K300i so easily. I think the current draw was so high causing that the iBias logic pumping high Class A juice than most other speakers.
I did put K300i in a cabinet, with fully open front and back and 2 inches above and beside it, this met requirement regarding ventilation.
I noticed a small heatsink for such a power with highly biased designed too. I hope small USB fans to draw cool air in from front and exhaust out on back of cabinet will help.

Toga
Old 12-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Thank you, I read this before but never imagined the little .7 would taxed K300i so easily. I think the current draw was so high causing that the iBias logic pumping high Class A juice than most other speakers.
I did put K300i in a cabinet, with fully open front and back and 2 inches above and beside it, this met requirement regarding ventilation.
I noticed a small heatsink for such a power with highly biased designed too. I hope small USB fans to draw cool air in from front and exhaust out on back of cabinet will help.

Toga
Magnepans typically like to spend their days in the shade of the 4 ohms or lower... As such, they are typically partnered with robust amps. They do like to sip on a refreshing cocktail of juice from the amp and are not shy about demanding it. Yes, the fans should help and if you are still running into the same problem, it will need even more ventilation. I do not think the amp is not up to the task but is simply producing enough heat where the engineer decided the cutoff point would be to prevent a thermal runaway.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Magnepans typically like to spend their days in the shade of the 4 ohms or lower... As such, they are typically partnered with robust amps. They do like to sip on a refreshing cocktail of juice from the amp and are not shy about demanding it. Yes, the fans should help and if you are still running into the same problem, it will need even more ventilation. I do not think the amp is not up to the task but is simply producing enough heat where the engineer decided the cutoff point would be to prevent a thermal runaway.

And it was 81c at shutting down which is quite high. I measured heatsink temp of my Gryphon Mephisto and Pass XA160.5 at only around 55c in open space driving Magico and Salon2.