AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM

Damn, I joined this forum because I needed a quick answer for a problem with a Classe CA-400 amp with a intermittent hum. I just got the service manual for it but was hoping someone might know of a common problem and could direct me to that known problem. Sorry for hyjacking the thread but this one seems to have the most activity and forum rules say I need ten posts before I can start a thread.

PS, not my amp. Looking at it for a friend and have never had the cover off a Classe. Looks like a real nice amp though
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Yo Masterlu. You are in my neck of the woods...........at least part of the time. I'm just a little north of you when you are on the Cape. I'm in Marshfield.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 PM

I think one of the key benefits of the CP-800 goes unnoticed, especially in any discussion around it's dacs: it's USB implementation. The dac is very good in it's own right, but what makes the CP-800 special is it's cutting edge asynch USB implementation, which, combined with the dac, appears to be a category killer. While it's a very good preamp and a very good dac individually, this USB/Dac combo is supposed to be something special. So, if you are using a computer or server with USB output, you are in for a treat, and probably SQ that can't be touched in its price class.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM

BTW, does anybody know if the CP-800 can be used as a standalone USB/dac (assume meaning analog out from the dac so it can go into a preamp)?

I ask because I'd possibly get a used one for a server application, using my Krell S-1200 as the preamp so I could continue to use the Krell as a one-box solution for input selection and volume control.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
I think one of the key benefits of the CP-800 goes unnoticed, especially in any discussion around it's dacs: it's USB implementation. The dac is very good in it's own right, but what makes the CP-800 special is it's cutting edge asynch USB implementation, which, combined with the dac, appears to be a category killer. While it's a very good preamp and a very good dac individually, this USB/Dac combo is supposed to be something special. So, if you are using a computer or server with USB output, you are in for a treat, and probably SQ that can't be touched in its price class.
+1. When you hear the Analog inputs with no processing on, its crazy good. The entire package is mind boggling. Truly one of the great values in HiFi.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
BTW, does anybody know if the CP-800 can be used as a standalone USB/dac (assume meaning analog out from the dac so it can go into a preamp)?

I ask because I'd possibly get a used one for a server application, using my Krell S-1200 as the preamp so I could continue to use the Krell as a one-box solution for input selection and volume control.
Good question. I would call classe and ask. Their tech support is superb.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Yes

You can set the output of the CP800 to fixed. In this case the unit acts just like a DAC
Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Yes

You can set the output of the CP800 to fixed. In this case the unit acts just like a DAC
Really? You can do that? You mean as opposed to setting the input as HT Bypass, which sets unity gain but is simply a pass-thru with no processing?

So you are saying the digital input runs through the dac, but, since the output is fixed, the preamp volume control is not invoked? That would be great.

Would the DSP processing (tone controls and EQ) still be available?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Really? You can do that? You mean as opposed to setting the input as HT Bypass, which sets unity gain but is simply a pass-thru with no processing?

So you are saying the digital input runs through the dac, but, since the output is fixed, the preamp volume control is not invoked? That would be great.

Would the DSP processing (tone controls and EQ) still be available?

Here is the excerpt

Selecting Pass-Thru locks the volume at 0.0 dB for this source and passes the signal through the preamp without changing its level. This feature is useful to avoid having two volume controls active such as when the preamp sits between an SSP and the L&R channel amplifiers. Note that the Pass-Thru mode is available for digital as well as analog sources.

I believe you can still set up the bass management and DSP settings
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
+1. When you hear the Analog inputs with no processing on, its crazy good. The entire package is mind boggling. Truly one of the great values in HiFi.
Hello, I must admit I'm a bit lost about your opinion about the CP-800, as on the first page of this same thread you wrote :

"Bill - I owned this for 3 months and sold it. Purchase price was $3800 (new). It sounded too mechanical to my liking. I liked the functionality, but not the sound."

and

"Admittedly, the CP-800 certainly gives you a lot of candy for money. Hard to beat...and everything worked flawlessly when I had it. I just couldn't get use to the sound. Sorry...but that was just me."

For someone reading the whole thread it gives the impression the you started to kind of dislike the CP-800 so much that you sold it but now it's just the opposite.
Did you changed your mind lately, and is so why ?