AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 12-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Default Guarneri Evo's with Mac or Pass

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the buildup of a new system as I want to go back to stereo. I miss that Guarneri magic I had prior to my current system. At that time I powered the Guarneri Memento's with a Mac C220/MC402 combo and loved it. This time it will be a Guarneri Evo and my first instinct was to go with the MC452, but as I also always had a weakness for Pass I though why not go with a Pass (X250.8?) this time. But I've not heard Pass with Sonus Faber before. One thing I can remember about my Memento's, and it's something I also see coming back in reviews of the Evo's as well, is that Guarneri's looove current. The MC452 has >70 ampere whereas the X250.8 (and similar Pass amps) are around 28-30 ampere. Both combo's will have their pro's and cons of course. As with Pass I think the midrange and highs would be dreamy but I'm a bit worried about the grip it'll have on the Guarneri's, especially in comparison with the MC452. So I wonder if someone here has tried both Mac and Pass, maybe even the same models, and can give me their insight.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:43 PM

I have owned both amps, but did not use both with Sonus Faber speakers. I used a Mc 452 with Wilson Sashas. It had plenty of bottom end grip, but lacked some transparency.

I had a Pass 250.8 stereo amp with Amati Futuras, and Stradivaris. It did great with both speakers in my large room. It had plenty of bottom end grip, plus great mids and highs. I enjoyed it so much that I took one step up the Pass line to X260.8 monoblocks which seem to be a great mate with my Strads.

I doubt you will go wrong with either amp, it may come down to the sonic character you are looking for versus ability to control your speakers.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-17-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
I have owned both amps, but did not use both with Sonus Faber speakers. I used a Mc 452 with Wilson Sashas. It had plenty of bottom end grip, but lacked some transparency.

I had a Pass 250.8 stereo amp with Amati Futuras, and Stradivaris. It did great with both speakers in my large room. It had plenty of bottom end grip, plus great mids and highs. I enjoyed it so much that I took one step up the Pass line to X260.8 monoblocks which seem to be a great mate with my Strads.

I doubt you will go wrong with either amp, it may come down to the sonic character you are looking for versus ability to control your speakers.
Thanks for the reply