AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post
I just recently heard this and it was very nice. It has a very silky synthetic sound to it. Very hifi sounding but very good. I came away with the impression that this is where home audio is headed. It reminded me of the first time i seen a Pioneer plasma tv. That was in the 90's and the cost was 25k on it. Now the same tv is under a grand. It makes me wonder if the cost of this technology might go down. We might be seeing the same caliber for 5k in the not so distant future....hopefully because it was slick sounding.
I'm perplexed by what you meant by "silky synthetic sound."
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I'm perplexed by what you meant by "silky synthetic sound."
It sounds cyborg .... ha, it just had a remanufactured sound to it with no digital glare. We were using the BCD and BDP, I have owned the Bryston BCD and yet have never heard that player sound like that. It didn't seem to care that it was hooked up into a lousy $5 outlet bar either . It was able to get air around the guitar and synthesizer fillers in Scofield's Uber Jam tracks i was listening to.

I wasn't able to drive into a tough load though, i wanted to hook it up to a pair ML's but wasn't allowed to do that. It didn't have the sensation of huge power behind it like i get with my Bryston 14B, I was looking for that but didn't have the chance to see if it was there.

We were using a moderate pair of Snell floorstanders, they were nice but inappropriately matched imo. Kind of pissed me off actually.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 PM

The dealer here had it paired with some Saha's the day I was there but they move their speakers from room to room depending on what the customer wants to here.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Another review.

6moons audio reviews: Devialet D-Premier
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post
It sounds cyborg .... ha, it just had a remanufactured sound to it with no digital glare. We were using the BCD and BDP, I have owned the Bryston BCD and yet have never heard that player sound like that. It didn't seem to care that it was hooked up into a lousy $5 outlet bar either . It was able to get air around the guitar and synthesizer fillers in Scofield's Uber Jam tracks i was listening to.

I wasn't able to drive into a tough load though, i wanted to hook it up to a pair ML's but wasn't allowed to do that. It didn't have the sensation of huge power behind it like i get with my Bryston 14B, I was looking for that but didn't have the chance to see if it was there.

We were using a moderate pair of Snell floorstanders, they were nice but inappropriately matched imo. Kind of pissed me off actually.

I had no problems driving the CLX or magnepans with it. This amplifier did a better job of driving tough speakers than any full class d amplifier I've ever tried.

The Devialet has a neutral to slightly forward character to it. Playing it with a Bryston source wouldnt be my first choice..
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM

^^^^^^

I would use the BDP into the onboard dac.

I think this technology could get licenced out becoming more mainstream and cheaper. I hope so because i would look at this technology if it was cheaper.

Last edited by weird; 05-18-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: ^^^
Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM

It already is pretty reasonable. $16k buys you an amp, preamp, DAC, phono preamp and music streamer. If you subtract a few thousand bucks for interconnects and power cords, you're paying about $3500 for the amp, $3500 for the preamp, $3500 for the DAC, $2000 for the phono preamp and $500 for the streamer.

Not really crazy money and it doesn't need a rack.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Hi all this is my first post.

I do not change my equipment often and when I do I give myself lots of time for home demos of what I am interested in.
I am an engineer, I even worked for Garrard in the '70s so I am interested in good engineering and have a fair knowledge of manufacturing costs.
My system has been all Goldmund for about 15+ years but i was intrigued by the DeVialet engineering. To cut a long story short I have bought one and am planning a second to use a master and slave as monoblocks.
IMO the clever engineering has allowed astonishing value. The most expensive thing in an amp is the power supply and here the clever engineering of DeVialet has allowed superb performance for probably 100x less than a conventional power supply. This on its own makes the unit amazing value for money.
The other potentially expensive part is the enclosure, and here the DeVialet is every bit as extravagant as other high end kit, but again saves by having fewer expensive boxes, not to mention the interconnects...

I have seen at least one post wishing for the amp only, without DAC and pre, but a quick look at their website shows that any suggestion that this is a DAC pre and power amps integrated together is only a od to tradition to describe it to the public. The way it works the DAC is just as much part of the preamp and power amp as it is the DAC so you have to get your head round the fact that these old concepts are no longer relevant in this unit. It is worth a look if you are technically interested/minded.

One thing it is -not- is a hobbyist bit of kit. If you get as much fun from listening for the differences between kit/interconnect etc. it won't be of much interest. If you are a music lover who has little interest in the equipment it is a godsend.
best, Frank
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 PM

A very interesting read... not sure it is for me.. too small too polished, but nonetheless.. I like the integration...

By the way, the audio store Audiolight in Quebec City, apparently is an exclusive Canadian dealer.. there is a series of 4 videos on UTube, but in french, so I didn't bother to to include them here.. if anyone wants the links..let me know.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

f1eng... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES