AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 03-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I feel sorry for all of you that have to deal with movie theaters that are dirty, noisy or with inconsiderate patrons. That just doesn't happen where we go.
Same here Jim. My local theater is pretty nice.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Life is beautiful

Our theater is quite modern... but because of the popcorn and crisps munching youngsters and middle aged visitors it is indeed a noisy place.
Yes, at home it does sound better.
And it will even more, because we're planning to buy a decent processor in the near future.
Our system is in the living room, so it is used for stereo music, TV, and surround Blu-ray movies and concerts and SACDs.
And this is enjoyed by the whole family.
Compromises of course, because my youngest loves the TV show "So you think you can dance?", in prime time on Sundays, but then again, she also stays when we put a Mozart disc in the tray on another day.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
We seldom ever watch a movie at home. We feel that movies were made to be seen on a large screen and enjoyed with a good size crowd of people where emotions are simultaneously shared.

I have simple surround set-up in the lower level with a 79" 4k TV but that is only used to watch sporting events and the occasional show. We set aside from about 9pm-11pm each night to sit together and catch up on shows we have recorded so we can skip thru the commercials. That viewing is done in our den.

I fell sorry for all of you that have to deal with movie theaters that are dirty, noisy or with inconsiderate patrons. That just doesn't happen where we go.
Wow- Jim, I am glad we overlap here.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM

Ivan, Thanks for starting this thread. I have been a member of AA for a short time compared to many here, but I have carefully watched you interject interesting threads through out this time that are not only relevant, but get us coming back for more.

For the few who know me on AA this topic is right up my alley. My wife and I both travel for work, and when we are home we want to be entertained... i.e. We want to feel like we are on vacation!. So we built our home like many with an outdoor pool, four car garage, game room / pool table / wet bar, an entrance to the HT in our game room to welcome you into the HT with marque sign and movie poster light boxes so you feel like you are actually at the movie theater, etc...This, to be our place to relax, unwind, and most importantly to be entertained!

I think that two channel music listening and HT have a few things in common. To me they are both a way for you to go and escape from reality and to have one's senses stimulated. The main difference for me is when I listen to two channel music my eyes are closed as I imagine myself being free of my concerns as I enjoy every note that is being played. Music has always been a big part of my life. With HT of course my eyes are wide open as I am being submersed in the contents of what is happening on the big screen. The sound out of the 5.2 system and the 150" picture make it feel as if I am actually in the movie.

I just wish I had more time for two channel. With my various hobbies, a full time job, and taking care of house and dog it often gets put on the back burner. Hopefully when I will retire it will play a bigger role in my life. Lucky for me my wife loves the HT as much as I do, and it is something we can do together every night.

I can reiterate some of Ivan's comments as I feel that we have some common interests and habits. My HT is hands down the best money that I have ever spent, period! It takes me to far away places, makes me cry on sentimental scenes, has me cheering for my favorite sports team, has me rocking to my favorite bands playing in concert, and most importantly I spend quality time with my small family and friends as we share this enjoyment together...

Having this home theater in our home lets us do this every night. It is priceless!

Some one wrote awhile back is a projector relevant... Well if all of this appeals to you then yes. If not then spend it on what does... But that question could be asked about everything and basically that is why life is so great... There are many different things for all of us to choose from and enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
It's obvious a very large percentage of us here are only into music, regardless of the source or genre.

So why even bother with a Home Theater?

I do however enjoy watching a good movie while relaxing in the comfort and privacy of my own home.

I have always enjoyed watching movies, especially action, thrillers, comedies, and even an ocassional animation. ..... I reveled in the beautiful costumes, sets, countryside, and musical score. I was reminded once again that on average Hollywood spends between $75M-$180M on major productions. All of which can be enjoyed without leaving my house, in my comfy clothes while sipping my favorite libation.

It's this kind of big budget movie that brings out the very best in a premium Home Theater; much more so than any public theater can offer. Today's SOTA projectors, and processors make the experience so much more fun and involving.

Then of course there are the Blu-Ray concerts, and many other special events which can be viewed via satellite.

Over the last 10 years, I can honestly say we get more pleasure from it than any other luxury we own (short of our home of course)

What say you?
Ivan, I could not agree more... The cinema photography that many movies present that come alive on a big screen with period customs, scrolling vistas, and a music sound track to go along with it is just as good as it gets... When they make most of these movies they spend tons of time and money for the viewer to be captivated, and they were not thinking 30" tv with a mono speaker.... A dedicated HT dials me in to what the producers / directors wanted me to see... The total movie experience...

QUOTE=tutomac;684553]My humble HT set up brings my family together. We have a long cushy modular sofa all four of us plus the giant schnauzer and the wheaten terrier can cozy up and watch anything from the Cooking Channel to Jason Bourne reruns. One thing I really like is that the surround speakers are just above us over the sofa and it sounds pretty good. It's an open room, no projector, no special seating, no popcorn machine. But the people in it are worth everything to me...[/QUOTE]

tutomac, I like your last sentence the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
We, as audiophiles, care about our entertainment quality. We also dig technology. Home theater happens to be more cutting edge than two channel audio because of the wider audience interest. I view it as an extension of my quest for creating quality entertainment through technology.
2fastdriving, I could not agree more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Love animation films... well heck, I love chick flicks, action films, historical films and pretty much anything that has been done well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
Movie Theater for me. Much more enjoyable than staying home.
Rilands, I can see the enjoyment of taking one's wife out to dinner and to a movie for that special night. We enjoy going to a IMAX films on occasion just for the sheer size of the screen. But on all of the other days of the week we still have the HT to takes us some place special...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
Since I don't have an HT, I guess I'll have to opt for my local 22 screen theater extraordinaire . . . and the only things I can say in defense of the movies I go to see there are . . .

Very few noisy kids would ever pay to see the movies I go to see, and there is no spilled drinks or popcorn on the floor because most old folks, like me, are much more fastidious than (you) young whipper-snappers.

Plus, "going to the movies" has been a favored life-long experience for me, and is something to "look forward to" and an almost "special occasion".

"Go out to dinner and take-in a movie" remains, for me, a real treat.

My wife and I do watch a lot of movies "at home", via my ROKU (and a few BluRay discs) on our 60" sony, and we do let the sound come through the stereo speakers that flank the TV; but that experience seems to be a bit "ordinary", while going to the movies seems more "special".
AudioNut, I see the real treat you are talking about... My wife and I enjoy going out as well... It does not matter how you get your fix but the fact that you guys enjoy the experience is what really counts...

Quote:
We seldom ever watch a movie at home. We feel that movies were made to be seen on a large screen and enjoyed with a good size crowd of people where emotions are simultaneously shared.

I have simple surround set-up in the lower level with a 79" 4k TV but that is only used to watch sporting events and the occasional show. We set aside from about 9pm-11pm each night to sit together and catch up on shows we have recorded so we can skip thru the commercials. That viewing is done in our den.

I fell sorry for all of you that have to deal with movie theaters that are dirty, noisy or with inconsiderate patrons. That just doesn't happen where we go.
Jim, You touch on one thing that a HT can not provide and that is the large crowd response to a scene. Sometimes that can really add to the experience as when seeing a live concert... But to counter that, the few times we go out to see a flick I sometimes see a cell phone lit up while someone wants to text or others talking when I am trying to listen, or chomping on popcorn in my ear... The distractions have killed the experience for me more times then I care to remember...

One final thought... I am not the die hard audiophile like most of the members on this forum... But there are many great members here that for me, make the experience to visit this site number one in my book. I surf several forums a day, but I always start with AA as it's topics are diverse, and the members are as friendly as they get!

Cheers,

Last edited by trek737; 03-19-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:26 PM

Jim
Thanks for taking time to add your thoughts to this thread.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Rebellious!

Interesting that this thread has become a Hometheater vs Movie theater, and not "I just listen to the stereo", because "I don't need a center channel, LFE channel, and surround Channels."
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
Goldar- and you live in Atlanta!? There are some really good theaters there. Which ones do you go to?

I totally get the concept of having your kids in your theater with their friends. You can control lots of variables there.

Last, you mention it's about the kids. I enjoy reading about this kind of selflessness, even when it's because the kids want to see the latest and greatest Marvel franchise picture.
Bill, yes I've been in Atlanta for over 20 years now, but grew up in Savannah. When we go the movies, it's usually just the Georgia Theater Company in Marietta. It's not bad, usually well behaved, but also lots of teens who are not as interested in experiencing the movie as they are in socializing. I can't blame them i was a kids once too. Believe or not, but the best sounding commercial theaters I've experienced are the Buena Vista theaters on the Disney cruise ships. They all are spectacular, but being on a cruise might have played a roll

Maybe my wording was too strong, my dislike of commercial theaters is 80% from the rude people in the theaters talking and mobile phones have made it much worse. A good point was made about watching with a well behaved crowd, it is great, but unfortunately it's also rare. I am looking forward to having friends over. When complete, the theater will seat anywhere from 12 to 14 and that's before the kids drag gamer chairs and bean bags in there.

I do stand by my statements on the audio, i didn't know the commercial theater audio was inferior until i set up my system, even with the awful room acoustics in our living room. (and my system is very modest compared to some of the amazing systems represented in this forum. I can only imagine the sound in Ivan's rooms). When i get the theater done i expect it will be an even bigger leap forward.

That room will also see a lot of use for 2 channel listening. I typically listen late in the evening after everyone has gone to bed. As matter of fact, I'm doing that right now. It will be nice to listen with it turned up louder... and not hear the refrigerator compressor or the ice maker.

- Howard

Last edited by goldar; 03-19-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Rebellious!

Howard...... thank you for taking the time to reply, I don't think you sounded harsh and your message was clear.

I used to go to the Carmike and Regal Cinemas (right next to each other ) on Abercorn (204) when I lived near Savannah. Again, Those two companies and AMC have the cinema market. They provide a great expirence using JBL/ Klipsch Cinema Speakers, Christie Projectors, and Crown Amps.

When you look around Atlanta, I would start on Buckhead and other affluent neighborhoods. Looks like there is a nice CineBistro too.

Hometheater is great, but comparing the performance to Cinema not an apples to apples comparison. It's a repeatable fact that cinemas outperform home audio. Now, there is nothing wrong with building a cinema in your home and using prosumer gear and Ivan sized McIntosh Amps and Speakers. Given a large enough room all speaker systems will reach their max capacity.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 03-19-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Close to me in Boca Raton, FL is a Cinemark XD Theater

Cinemark - Theatres

Although it is the best public theater I have ever been to, it is rather average compared to what I'm used to in my home.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Rebellious!

Ivan- you definitely have enough power and speaker for the size of the room you watch in.