AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
Caelin - As usual, very informative. Great to get some visibility to your R&D environment and test systems.

PS - My next upgrade is to get the Anaconda speaker wire... Any updates to the line at this level planned this year?

Thx!
The ΞTRON Anaconda Speaker cable has done quite well even when compared to some very expensive cables. No changes other than the fact that the latest versions have been shipping with the STIS terminal system. This allows you to swap out the terminal type without having to send them back for re-termination. There is no sonic degradation with the STIS terminals compared to fixed terminals.

If there was a knock on the Anaconda signal cables - it was the fact that the interconnect cable was an unshielded design and many people needed or wanted a shielded cable. We have just introduced a shielded version of the interconnect. It is called the Anaconda -S. The Anaconda unshielded version is still available for those that prefer it.

There are also new digital Anaconda AES/EBU cable and an Anaconda S/PDIF cables. These cables are exceptional performers in our digital media system.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopersark View Post
Caelin,
VERY Impressive room and power set up! Some of your equipment choices mirror my secondary system, and that may be why it absolutely SINGS with Shunyata power conditioning/distribution! If I am ever out your way, I will want an audition!
Best,
Rob
You and the other AA members are welcome to stop by for a tour and a listen. Just contact Richard to make an appointment.

Oh yeah I almost forgot our beloved rebuilt Quad 57s. An iconic speaker and still a revelation in terms of vocal range transparency.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Since we are a manufacturer and we are involved in constant research, our listening systems can vary but the following will give you a rough idea.

The Room:
The room is a suspended room within a room, custom designed and built by studio acoustic engineer Tom Brown. The floor is floated with vibration isolation pads. The walls are isolated and do not touch any part of the buildings structure. So, the listening room is essentially a sealed room within a building. The walls are faceted to distribute resonate vibration modes. The walls are double and triple thickness. The front of the room is a reflection free zone. The back and side walls are lined with solid wood custom built diffusers. There are two gasketed doors to seal the room. The ventilation to the room has an acoustic baffle system to eliminate acoustic resonant interaction with the room acoustics. The room has a very smooth frequency response with an ideal impulse decay response. There is a measured 40db drop in noise level from inside to outside the room. The room was designed with two adjoining rooms that are isolated from the listening room. One of these rooms is the control room where all of the electronics are located. So, we can setup the room with only the speakers in room. There is another recording control room at the opposite end where our recording console and equipment is located. We have the ability to set the room up for reference listening and alternatively for recording sessions.

The Power Distribution System:
Since we make power distribution and conditioning products it was important for us to have a stable reference power system. It starts with an electrostatically shielded isolation transformer. Our factory is in an industrial park and we wanted to isolate the reference system power from large power surges and sags from our neighbors. This transformer is located on the side of the building is actually larger in capacity than the transformer that feeds power to the building. This is necessary to ensure that the transformer has sufficient impulse surge capacity to prevent DTCD limiting to the reference control room. The isolation transformer feeds a sub-panel located in the control room. It has a surge protection system installed in the panel with dedicated circuit breakers so that we can turn them off for reference listening. There are 3 dedicated power circuits that feed the interior of the listening room. There are 5 dedicated power circuits that feed the control room. All of the dedicated lines are run in rigid conduit and all equal in length to eliminate potential ground loops. All of this was installed by my sister who is a master electrician.
First, I love your products and I got Anaconda sc and PC. I am thinking to buy Anaconda IC later this year.

Since not many homes have such stable power distribution system like in your testing environment, shouldn't one of your testing rooms have artificial electrical dirty room to test how effective your products are?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
The ΞTRON Anaconda Speaker cable has done quite well even when compared to some very expensive cables. No changes other than the fact that the latest versions have been shipping with the STIS terminal system. This allows you to swap out the terminal type without having to send them back for re-termination. There is no sonic degradation with the STIS terminals compared to fixed terminals.

If there was a knock on the Anaconda signal cables - it was the fact that the interconnect cable was an unshielded design and many people needed or wanted a shielded cable. We have just introduced a shielded version of the interconnect. It is called the Anaconda -S. The Anaconda unshielded version is still available for those that prefer it.

There are also new digital Anaconda AES/EBU cable and an Anaconda S/PDIF cables. These cables are exceptional performers in our digital media system.

Cheers!
Thx Caelin!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
First, I love your products and I got Anaconda sc and PC. I am thinking to buy Anaconda IC later this year. Since not many homes have such stable power distribution system like in your testing environment, shouldn't one of your testing rooms have artificial electrical dirty room to test how effective your products are?
Yes i hear what you are saying. That is why we also test in our home systems and with our beta testers.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM

just found you the most alpha male beta tester...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQDTZcpsDE
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
just found you the most alpha male beta tester... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UQDTZcpsDE
You know I've seen that and others like it and i know some people find it funny. I just can't get past the genocide and mass murder aspect. And having friends with family members that were affected by the man - I just can't manage a chuckle.

YMMV of course.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You know I've seen that and others like it and i know some people find it funny. I just can't get past the genocide and mass murder aspect. And having friends with family members that were affected by the man - I just can't manage a chuckle.

YMMV of course.
Caelin, I agree and stand with with you with this for the same reasons.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 AM

sorry - no intention to offend anybody.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Bodhisattva

Surely the best power cables outright would be one of these; Siltech Ruby Double Crown, Crystal Absolute Dream, Jorma Prime or Nordost Odin. My apology to Caelin, that's just my view.