AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopersark View Post
I had thought the reverse. I believed that there was an up charge of several thousand dollars for the M-Cast finish in the Q models. Magico had introduced the M-Cast finishes for their Q models over the summer in their newsletter. Yes, not only does the black finish go better with everything, they also do a better "disappearing act" in the darker finish. Their standard anodized finish is an extremely attractive one. Again, my wife thinks that they are the most attractive loudspeaker that has ever graced our sound room! Again, good luck with your decision!
Beautiful system. I bet it sounds great as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Beautiful system. I bet it sounds great as well.
Thank you for your compliments! It actually sounds scary good! It is a veritable time and space machine to the original performance. You have no idea just how much I appreciate what I have. Again thank you.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wayne View Post
The black does look attractive Rob, does magico offer the option to have the front baffle a different color from the rest of the cabinet...?
Thank you. The black goes with the color scheme of the room, which was originally chosen to blend with most audio equipment. I do not believe that Magic offers the option that you speak of. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Irv Gross from Magico would be the one to contact. Perhaps they can do a custom "two tone" model for you.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your compliments! It actually sounds scary good! It is a veritable time and space machine to the original performance. You have no idea just how much I appreciate what I have. Again thank you.
What are you using for a source? Spectral pre?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Anodized is more. M-Cast is 38950 and anodized is 42850.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Matt -- Color choices on the Magico's are great if: 1.) The standard dark charcoal color does not work. 2.) You plan on owning them form any years, as typically a deviation from the original color will limit buyers on the used market (many of whom do not like, or cannot use your particular color choice). So, you will not only loose any money that you had spend on the initial color "up charge", it could actually negatively impact your resale value over the "standard" model. As you know Magico loudspeakers, despite their sonic greatness, once appearing on the used market, have a high depreciation rate, so if you want to add fuel to the fire, its your money burning! You must be honest with yourself as to how long you plan on owning these. Look at your past history of how often you change loudspeakers. Will you be happy with your new choice of today, say five years from now, when the next two generations of Magico's have improved upon what you are considering purchasing? Just some things to think about and consider....Good luck with whatever you choose! (For what it is worth, I own the current Magic Q5's in the standard dark charcoal finish, and my wife loves their looks!) Best, Rob
There is a lot of good sense here. Magico has very poor value retention, especially once a new line comes out. And they do seem to come up with new lines on a fairly routine basis. As I sit here, there is a pair of M5 available locally for $22,000. That was $89k retail, what, 5 years ago? Full disclosure, when I needed speakers for a second system, I took advantage of this and bought mint V2's for less than 1/3 retail. Wonderful speakers for the cost. Contrary to what is stated in the review of the S5, the speaker baffle isn't a "problem" at all. My pucks have never needed adjustment. Lack of punch, perhaps. Not quite the issue it is made out to be. But a lot of speaker for my cost.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1998 View Post
What are you using for a source? Spectral pre?
I am using a Spectral 4000 SDR SL CD player and a Spectral DMC 30SS II preamp. I am also using a Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC and two Sequerra tuners - a digital tuner that goes through the DAC and an FM Reference Signature for pure analogue. The room's acoustics were designed by Art Noxon of ASC Corporation. Interconnects and speaker cabling are the top of the line MIT Oracle MA-X SHD. I also have a separate dedicated audio electric panel with an outside 6 foot copper rod earth grounding. Transparent Audio's top power cabling was installed from the box to the dedicated outlets. All electric power delivery and conditioning are top line Shunyata. Here is a photo of some of the rest of the system.
Again, I feel very fortunate to have what I have. Each listening session becomes a special event!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.jpg (85.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1840.jpg (90.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.jpg (88.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.jpg (90.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Coopersark; 12-08-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
There is a lot of good sense here. Magico has very poor value retention, especially once a new line comes out. And they do seem to come up with new lines on a fairly routine basis. As I sit here, there is a pair of M5 available locally for $22,000. That was $89k retail, what, 5 years ago? Full disclosure, when I needed speakers for a second system, I took advantage of this and bought mint V2's for less than 1/3 retail. Wonderful speakers for the cost. Contrary to what is stated in the review of the S5, the speaker baffle isn't a "problem" at all. My pucks have never needed adjustment. Lack of punch, perhaps. Not quite the issue it is made out to be. But a lot of speaker for my cost.
I don’t think it is any different than any other brand. Discontinued models go for about 1/3 of the MSRP. There is a Grand Utopia BE for $34K on AG as we speak. That speaker was $120K 4 years ago. How about Stradivari Homage for $17K? You can have the XLF that is on AG now for about $95K - a friend of mine is trying to buy it (Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF Desert Silver - Wilson's Finest! - Audio Asylum Trader).

The MCast on the Q3 in the photo looks amazing, you should buy what you like. I would not worry about resale value.

Last edited by rlacoste; 12-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.