AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-04-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
I have a Defender on order for my TV circuit. It will plug into an unused outlet where my two port Hydra is connected. The TV and sub plug into the Hydra, although I rarely turn the sub on.
Hi Bud, looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I love the smell of new equipment in the morning. Smell, that burning in smell, all over the room, smells like ... Victory.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezewhiz View Post
Thanks Vhiner ... Go Cards!
It's gonna be slug fest, but we're known for digging deep at the end!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 AM

Hi to all, new in this forum. Recently purchased two zitron cobra PC and they were awesome after few days of burn in. Very interested to buy the Venom PS8 distributor with Venom Defender. Wondering anyone out there have these configurations setup and would appreciate some feedback. thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 AM

Kitweebs...... Welcome to AA.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:12 AM

I'm interested in a couple of these. Hopefully I can get my hands on them this weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I decided to try a Shunyata Defender. I'm fortunate to have pretty clean power to my house. The power in my neighborhood is underground and we're very close to the power sub-station. I'm currently using a Furutech power distributor plugged into a dedicated 20amp line with a PS Audio Power Port Premier outlet (Mac MC302 plugged directly to the PS Audio outlet). That being said I was still curious as to what the Defender could do. I unfortunately bought my Furutech power distributor about month before the Shunyata came out otherwise I would have went that direction.

I've not had a chance for any critical listening but initial impressions are good. I have noticed a slight increase in separation and detail which has equated to an increase in depth. Voices and solo instruments are more out front from other background instruments. Looking forward for the weekend to really do some A/B comparisons.

Has anyone noticed any burn-in period with the Defender? Anyone with additional impressions of the Shunyata Defender?
I want to see if I'm following you, please. You have the 20 amp dedicated line. The first connection is the Furutech power distributor. Then plugged in to that is the PS Audio Power Point Premier. And plugged in to that are the amps, preamp, player, etc? Is that how you're running it?

Along those lines, just curious if you would mind revealing what the total harmonic distortion reading is coming into your PPPs?

I'll go first. I do not have a dedicated line. I have a simple 15 amp line. Into that is simply the PPP. I typically get a reading of about 1.5% THD coming in, and .4% THD going out of my PPPs. Then everything, amps, preamp and player are plugged into my PPPs.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the Furutech power distributor lowers the THD coming in to your PPP, if you've had a chance to look at that?

Also, whether the Venom Defender has had an effect on the THD coming in to the PPP? I don't doubt that the Venom Defender improves the signal, but I'm curious whether this improvement is manifest as an improved THD?

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
I want to see if I'm following you, please. You have the 20 amp dedicated line. The next connection is the Furutech power distributor. Then plugged in to that is the PS Audio Power Point Premier. And plugged in to that are the amps, preamp, player, etc? Is that how you're running it?

Along those lines, just curious if you would mind revealing what the total harmonic distortion reading is coming into your PPPs?

I'll go first. I do not have a dedicated line. I have a simple 15 amp line. Into that is simply the PPP. I typically get a reading of about 1.5% THD coming in, and .4% THD going out of my PPPs. Then everything, amps, preamp and player are plugged into my PPPs.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the Furutech power distributor lowers the THD coming in to your PPP, if you've had a chance to look at that?

Also, whether the Venom Defender has had an effect on the THD coming in to the PPP? I don't doubt that the Venom Defender improves the signal, but I'm curious whether this improvement is manifest as an improved THD?

Thanks for your consideration.
Sorry for any confusion Britt. I use a PS Audio Power Port Premier wall outlet. I have an Mac MC 302 and a Furutech power distributor connected to the PS Audio outlet. I'm not running any equipment that measures THD. But I have to say that after quite a bit of listening I ended up sending the Shunyata Defender back. In my situation, I could not hear any difference and though I might have kept it for the possible added protection it might offer, I wanted to free up the outlet on my Furutech distributor for another piece of equipment.

I love the smell of new equipment in the morning. Smell, that burning in smell, all over the room, smells like ... Victory.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry for any confusion Britt. I use a PS Audio Power Port Premier wall outlet. I have an Mac MC 302 and a Furutech power distributor connected to the PS Audio outlet. I'm not running any equipment that measures THD. But I have to say that after quite a bit of listening I ended up sending the Shunyata Defender back. In my situation, I could not hear any difference and though I might have kept it for the possible added protection it might offer, I wanted to free up the outlet on my Furutech distributor for another piece of equipment.
Hey David,

Very good. I believe what you are saying is that you are using a PS Audio Power Port Classic. One of these:

Power Port Classic | PS Audio)

Rather than a PowerPlant Premier (PPP). Okay, cool. Interesting that you returned the Shunyata Defender. I'm kind of on the fence on adding one of these "just to see." I'll continue to watch for reviews here.

Thanks for your reply!
Britt
Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Hey David,

Very good. I believe what you are saying is that you are using a PS Audio Power Port Classic. One of these:

Power Port Classic | PS Audio)

Rather than a PowerPlant Premier (PPP). Okay, cool. Interesting that you returned the Shunyata Defender. I'm kind of on the fence on adding one of these "just to see." I'll continue to watch for reviews here.

Thanks for your reply!
Britt
The Power Port Premier is the next step up from the classic. Regarding the Defender I believe you should give one a try. I've heard enough positive feedback that I did, but just didn't help my setup. I do believe it could help most people. And the fact that I could try it for 30 days and return made it a no brainer.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The Power Port Premier is the next step up from the classic. Regarding the Defender I believe you should give one a try. I've heard enough positive feedback that I did, but just didn't help my setup. I do believe it could help most people. And the fact that I could try it for 30 days and return made it a no brainer.
Power Port Premier. Gotcha. I'm not seeing that on PS Audio's website but it is available on the MusicDirect.com website, perhaps among others. Cool.

So I'll just chill for now and see if some favorable reviews come in. Thanks again.