AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Caelin & Grant:
First of all, Grant has been doing a great job as an ambassador for Shunyata
and he should be highly commended for it. I truly appreciate his thoughts.

Caelin, in another thread you stated: "Yes, since the Typhon operates in
parallel and can be used with any of our current or past power
distributors/conditioners. The Typhon is especially beneficial when used with
power amplifiers. Plug it into the same outlet that the amp is plugged into or
into a Cyclops or Hydra-a Model-2 if you are using one of these to power the
amplifier.

For a system with a single power amplifier directly attached to a dedicated
3-conductor 10GA 20A line by a Zitron Anaconda with a SR-Z1 outlet, other than
the obvious inclusion of additional SR-Z1 sockets, what are your thoughts on a
comparison of one of the following devices hooked directly into the other half
of the SR-Z1 (i.e., in parallel with the amp) by means of a Zitron Anaconda:

1. a Talos
2. a Triton
3. a Cyclops
4. a Typhon

BTW, I tried my amp connected to a Zitron Anaconda fed through a Talos and fed
by a Zitron Anaconda, and I preferred the sound of a direct connected amp.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave

P.S. I found hooking my Talos in parallel with my power amp depended on the technology of the amp ... it really helped a bipolar-based transistor amp, but not as much a FET-based transistor amp.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedran View Post
Caelin & Grant:
First of all, Grant has been doing a great job as an ambassador for Shunyata and he should be highly commended for it. I truly appreciate his thoughts.
Thank you, Grant has been with us since the beginning of the company and is a great asset.

Quote:
Caelin, in another thread you stated: "Yes, since the Typhon operates in
parallel and can be used with any of our current or past power
distributors/conditioners. The Typhon is especially beneficial when used with power amplifiers. Plug it into the same outlet that the amp is plugged into or into a Cyclops or Hydra-a Model-2 if you are using one of these to power the amplifier.

For a system with a single power amplifier directly attached to a dedicated
3-conductor 10GA 20A line by a Zitron Anaconda with a SR-Z1 outlet, other than the obvious inclusion of additional SR-Z1 sockets, what are your thoughts on a comparison of one of the following devices hooked directly into the other half of the SR-Z1 (i.e., in parallel with the amp) by means of a Zitron Anaconda:

1. a Talos
2. a Triton
3. a Cyclops
4. a Typhon
The Triton, Talos and Cyclops are all power distributors, meaning that they enable multiple devices to be connected to a single power circuit. Additionally they are also power conditioners in that they manage power line noise. They use two technologies: NIC (noise isolation chambers) and the MPDA (multi-phase differential array). The size of the NICs in each product is different and has a correlation to perceived noise reduction (in other words bigger is better). And the number of MPDAs in a product contributes to the magnitude of noise reduction.

Hydras are unique in that they are not designed as virtual electronic walls that block noise from the power grid. Rather, they actually electrically couple to the power circuit and reduce the level of noise on the entire power circuit. Because of this they can be plugged into a circuit and everything that is connected to that circuit will benefit from the noise reduction even if it is not directly plugged into the Hydra.

So you can use them as you describe, however, Hydras are more effective when used in the manner for which they were created, which means plugging your electronic components into them.

The TYPHON on the other hand was created as part of a Reference product pair which includes the TRITON power conditioner. When people ask if the Typhon can be used with another product - I have to answer yes. However, if the power conditioner is not reference grade - you will not achieve the full potential of the Typhon. Also the Typhon is quite expensive so it may not be cost effective to pair a Typhon with anything less than a Triton. Now to the question: If you don't require a power distributor, as in the case of an amplifier, you could use the Typhon as a stand-alone unit plugged directly into the wall outlet where the amplifier is also plugged in. You will want to use a short Typhon umbilical cord, just as is required when connecting to the Triton for best results.

The answer to your question is #4. And that is how our amps in our reference room are connected. (Adding a Cyclops when used with Python or Anaconda power cables can improve performance. But this is a lot more expensive and complex.)

Quote:
BTW, I tried my amp connected to a Zitron Anaconda fed through a Talos and fed by a Zitron Anaconda, and I preferred the sound of a direct connected amp.
P.S. I found hooking my Talos in parallel with my power amp depended on the technology of the amp ... it really helped a bipolar-based transistor amp, but not as much a FET-based transistor amp.
If you only have a single power circuit then you must connect them to the power distributor. High-current amplifiers usually perform best when connected directly to the power line. Our experience and that of many customers and top reviewers say that the only exception to this rule would be when an amplifier is connected through a Triton or the Cyclops (which was specifically designed to perform well with amplifiers).

Because the Hydras interact with the power line, the power cord that connects it to the power line will dramatically affect its performance and this is especially true of high-current devices like amplifiers.

Last edited by CGabriel; 07-29-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Caelin,

Thanks for your response. While the Typhon is the best option for use in parallel with a power amp both directly attached to the wall, I'm not sure of the exact question to be asking, but how "close" does a Cyclops or Triton come to a Typhon for this application? I'm curious since the Cyclops is $2K vs. $5K for the Typhon, and whether purchasing the Cyclops is worth it, or is it better to save the money toward the purchase of a Typhon.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedran View Post
Caelin,

Thanks for your response. While the Typhon is the best option for use in parallel with a power amp both directly attached to the wall, I'm not sure of the exact question to be asking, but how "close" does a Cyclops or Triton come to a Typhon for this application? I'm curious since the Cyclops is $2K vs. $5K for the Typhon, and whether purchasing the Cyclops is worth it, or is it better to save the money toward the purchase of a Typhon.

Thanks,

Dave
Well Dave, it is not always true but in this case you do get what you pay for. The size of the NICs (noise isolation chambers) have a direct relationship to performance. The NIC is composed of very large OFC copper tubes that are filled with the ferro-electric noise reduction substance. The volume of the ferro-electric and the associated contact surface area of the tube to ferro-electric determines the magnitude of noise reduction.

Below is a photo of the inner copper tubes of the Triton and the Talos. Notice the size difference.

image-1340133786.jpg

Now this is a comparison of our core in the reference Triton and the core of the NIC within the Typhon.

image-3384106132.jpg
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks Cailin,

All I can say is WOW! Point taken. A picture truly IS worth a 1000 words.

BTW, are the NIC's in the Triton and the Cyclops the same size?

Dave
Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

davedran... Welcome!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 08-02-2013, 01:12 PM

No, the Cyclops is the same diameter as the Talos but shorter.

cg
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM

I can't help thinking, couldn't an active toroid version of these be made smaller but still as effective?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crion View Post
I can't help thinking, couldn't an active toroid version of these be made smaller but still as effective?
That is one approach that is commonly used in many products. Each design approach has positives and negatives. There is no utopian solution inspite of some claims about perfect power or design superiority.

I have literally tested all known types of transformers, reactors, coils, baluns and have personally built hundreds of handmade prototypes. Every type of electrical part has a theoretical characteristic. In applied engineering, these theoretical principles run into the real world of material quality, tolerances and unexpected complex interactions. So if you are asking my opinion if a toroid can reduce noise as effectively as a NIC; I would say the answer is yes. But the attendant loss of DTCD from the toroid negates the advantages it provides in noise isolation. The NIC allows a measure of noise reduction without a significant loss of DTCD capacity.

But that is just my opinion. Anyone can have an opinion on just about any and everything. Mine is based upon years of thought, measurement, endless testing and innovation. Through this experience we have developed a design approach and certain technologies that are unique. There are other approaches and other designs. I am comfortable knowing that our products will appeal to some and not to others. That's the beauty of a robust and competitive marketplace. You get to choose.

Respectfully,
cg

Last edited by CGabriel; 08-02-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:10 PM

cg[/quote]

But that is just my opinion. Anyone can have an opinion on just about any and everything. Mine is based upon years of thought, measurement, endless testing and innovation. Through this experience we have developed a design approach and certain technologies that are unique. There are other approaches and other designs. I am comfortable knowing that our products will appeal to some and not to others. That's the beauty of a robust and competitive marketplace. You get to choose.

Respectfully,
cg[/QUOTE]

WOW!
Thank you.